New coolant alternative

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Has anybody ever heard of Evans NPG+? It is used in cooling systems instead of a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. It has a higher boiling point than water and is much more efficient. The best part is that the existing cooling system doesn't need to be modified, just make sure there is no water left in the system, pour the NPG+ in and go.

http://www.evanscooling.com/html/npgPls2.htm
http://www.evanscooling.com/news/cn_12-02.htm

It may even be possible to bore out the 7M and not have to worry about loss of cooling effectiveness with this stuff. :naughty: Sounds cool to me.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
supraman2251 said:
and how is it better than 50/50? I really didnt understand much on the link....

Sorry, I forgot to post this one.

http://www.evanscooling.com/html/npgPls.htm

Also, look at the charts on the bottom of the first link's page, they show off how much of a better performer this stuff is than 50/50. Most of the performance revolves around boiling point and the NPG+ is quite a bit higher than 50/50. It is also non pressurized so you could puull the radiator cap while the system is hot. They developed this stuff for race applications first, and a magazine article quotes them saying, "WE'd remove the filler cap right after the race car came in from a qualifying session..." Oh and read the story on the second link all the way through, it will give you a good real life secnario idea of what the stuff can do.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I have read quite a bit about this, and someone here was looking at switching to it some time ago, but we've never heard back from them.

There is a decent possibility that this will work just as well as it advertises, but until I know someone who has used it, I'll refrain from weighing in on either side of the debate.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I looked into this before and one of the benefits is that you don't need a pressurized system to raise the boiling point like we do. Instead of a 13 psi cap or so, you don't need one at all! Well, you still need a cap, but not a pressurized one. They sell complete systems for domestics, but no replacement caps, water pumps, or anything like that for us. I called them about 2 years ago and then decided to just not do it since there were no local dealers close by

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
evans cooling.

y4ep heard of them.

Supposed to work fine but this coolant actually has a lower latent heat of vaporization and also the kcal that can be carried by this is lower than water. What does that mean in english. It can not take away heat like water does ;)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Water is more often than not the best way to take away heat in a cooling system. Its better to have water than coolant/antifreeze, because they spread the freezing and boiling points but minutely hinder the cooling properties. Down in Florida, it never gets even close to freezing, so we can use straight water (which is good because its hotter here) although the cooling system also needs to lubricate the pump, resist erosion and whatnot

As a replacement, theres also Redline Water Wetter and (supposedly a bit better, like all Royal Purple products), Purple Ice. You can run much less than 50/50 coolant with it while it helps cooling alot. Matter of fact, I just bought some today, as did my friend with a DSM. I havent put mine in, but he did and just starting up is much much cooler, maybe 30* F + cooler

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Water wetter / purple ice are fantastic products for cooling.

However, make absolutely DAMN sure that your cooling system hasn't got any chance of leaking, because both of these will turn a small leak into a big leak, and might make leaks where there were none before.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
that stuff looks pretty good

but it whould suck if you t state was craping out and was only relieing on persure ot open it

but fi you got good new one i can't not see a prob with it plsu you never have to run an over flwo bottel if never rasi's in persure and such

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i used this chemical stuff to fluss my cooling system and i messed it. it had a cheap plastic raditor in it. then am not sure if my heater core started leaking or if i was tripping cause it was all over the floor. anyway what do you think caused this to happen like this?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I guess the questions are:
1-where do you get this stuff
2-how much $$
3-does 0 pressure system mean vented cap or sealed cap (correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't we find a cap to work or possibly modify one)?