New 7M Install

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Ok so I hit up the junk yard yesterday, and hit the jack pot. Found a car with probably 15 different connectors that were all the 4 plug like I was looking for and snagged 5 of them, just in case lol. So ill be rewiring those tomorrow. Pics will happen then :)

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Just got this purrty little thang in the mail.

p1666869_1.jpg

But its not of use to me, cause I have no charcoal canister. So Ill probably just be capping these off. I'm still in need of some harness side water neck sensor connectors. Like the ECU temp. gauge, Dash gauge, Radiator cooling fan switch, AC coolant switch.

Last edited:

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So I believe I have been over stressing a bit about my motor. My main concern is the bottom end. I never heard it run out of the car it came out of, so it may be rod knocked for all I know. Also the head gasket, being only a OEM replacement, with ARP head studs, torqued to 85ft. lbs. But I have been reassured that the head gasket will be fine. Now the head also, being that I used my old head that was milled for a MHG. I used different cams, on the head so i'm guessing that may cause I different wear on the lobe.

Anyways today I figured I would check my main bearing clearances. So I started pulling it apart. I also wanted to remove the head, but was advised not to being that it is a composite gasket, so me removing it may ruin the composite material. So I only got to taking most of the acceseries off, intake, and exhaust off. On my next day off, ill be removing the oil pan, checking the clearances. I also ordered a SS braided oil sending line from the oil pump. So ill be installing it also. So hear are a few pictures of me just being bored and taking off the easy stuff.

p1667917_1.jpg

p1667917_2.jpg

p1667917_3.jpg

p1667917_4.jpg

p1667917_5.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I know how you feel, I am never happy and I get more grey hairs than anything waiting until I hear it run before I can relax and have a cold drink. I am not kidding about the grey hairs, I am 20 and have more grey hairs than my Dad at 45....

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
IBoughtASupra;1667921 said:
I know how you feel, I am never happy and I get more grey hairs than anything waiting until I hear it run before I can relax and have a cold drink. I am not kidding about the grey hairs, I am 20 and have more grey hairs than my Dad at 45....

haha, dam.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
IBoughtASupra;1667921 said:

I know exactly how you feel, im only 20 also and the haircut lady laughs every time she cuts my hair...more and more grey every time.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
northdakotakid;1667957 said:
I know exactly how you feel, im only 20 also and the haircut lady laughs every time she cuts my hair...more and more grey every time.

It sucks man. Mine is focused right at the top center of my head. It is like a farm of grey hairs there. It hate it everyone finds it funny except me.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So I removed the stock oil pipe, and installed a new SS braided oil pump feed pipe, onto the oil pump. I also tried my hand at polishing my lower timing belt cover. Came out really nice. I'm also painting a second coat of paint, on the cam sprockets, and rear timing cover. Something that sucked last night when taking some stuff of, was I broke the head off a bolt that bolts the cold-start injector down. But what turned out great from that, is when I was looking to check to see if I had another upper manifold. I found the vent thing for the IACV that they were talking about earlier in this thread. So Ill be using that, and repainting the old manifold. Pictures maybe tonight, if i'm not too tired :)

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Ok guys, I got to taking apart the accessories on off the motor. This is because, after talking it over with a member on here. I have decided to go ahead use a Metal Head Gasket, and have the block decked (with the front timing cover) and also have a place clean my head and probably re-shim it for the different cams I installed. So I got some pictures of tearing the motor back down. For some reason it keeps getting easier every time. Ill start the dis-assembly of the internals soon. And ill have plenty of pictures. One to show you guys, and two to have a reference, when I start putting it all back on.

These are my plans so far for the blocks machine shop.

1. Hot-tank the block.
2. Hone the cylinders
3. Deck the block, and rear timing cover.
4. Check the oil pump shaft bearings.
5. See if they will machine the head. If they don't, ill have the head shop machine it for me.

Plans for the head shop ill have them do the following

1. Overall cleaning of the head, and whole valve train.
2. Machine the head if the blocks machine shop doesn't.
3. Reinstall all of the valve train.
4. Re-shim the valve lifters, if needed for the different cams I installed.
5. Maybe a 3-angle valve job with a port & polish.

After all that nice neat stuff is completed, ill be installing a metal head gasket. But I cant purchase that till the work is done. Then I start reassembly of the lower internals. Pictures of starting the dis-assembly.

Oil pan off

p1669800_1.jpg

Oil pumps off

p1669800_2.jpg

Head is off.

p1669800_3.jpg

p1669800_4.jpg

p1669800_5.jpg

p1669800_6.jpg

p1669800_7.jpg

p1669800_8.jpg

p1669800_9.jpg

p1669800_10.jpg

So I cant seem to get this gear off that the timing belt wraps around. When ever I do get it off Ill need a new one, because while using my gear puller. I actually popped a guard off. So ill be in the market for one of those.

p1669800_11.jpg

p1669800_12.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
OK guys, so a little update, I took the motor into the machine shop today, told them what I wanted and they are doing that. I also bought a new battery cause my was stolen, those bastards. Ill have a lot more pics when I get it back from them, so it should only be a few days. heres a pic of my new battery. So that should hold you guys over. lol.

p1678506_1.jpg

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Looks like you have a little setback with having to tear through the motor again, at least it's for a good cause. Why not install a oil filter relocation kit to save yourself some trouble in the future? ;)

Me and a couple buddies were strolling the streets and stumbled upon a white Supra and just decided to take the battery to make some dough. Sorry man...

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Supra28;1678795 said:
Looks like you have a little setback with having to tear through the motor again, at least it's for a good cause. Why not install a oil filter relocation kit to save yourself some trouble in the future? ;)

Me and a couple buddies were strolling the streets and stumbled upon a white Supra and just decided to take the battery to make some dough. Sorry man...

lol form Florida from Ohio, thats a bit of a stroll.

Anyways I got my block back today here are some pics

p1679221_1.jpg

p1679221_2.jpg

p1679221_3.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Ok so some good news and bad news, I did get my machine work done. But it was done very incorrectly. They machined the deck of the block, but they did it without any load on the block from the mains. Also, I have been informed that the idler pulley for the timing belt should have also been installed on the rear timing cover as it pulls on the #1 cylinder wall about a thous. So im going to be taking it to a entirely different machine shop to have htem do the work, cause I honestly think this guy at hte machine shop is trying to screw me and my motor up. Anyways here are some pictures of the incorrectly done work. I mean at least it still looks pretty. lol.

p1679757_1.jpg

p1679757_2.jpg

p1679757_3.jpg

whole block and new freeze plugs.

p1679757_4.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you tell them to mount the plate and then mill the block? Did you tell them about the tensioner as well?

What do you mean no load on the block from the mains?

Usually, using an American machine shop does not end too well. Some know the import stuff but most don't. You have to know if these guys know what they are talking about or just throwing shot out of their mouth.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
IBoughtASupra;1679767 said:
Did you tell them to mount the plate and then mill the block? Did you tell them about the tensioner as well?

What do you mean no load on the block from the mains?

Usually, using an American machine shop does not end too well. Some know the import stuff but most don't. You have to know if these guys know what they are talking about or just throwing shot out of their mouth.

Well they have said they have done quite a few of these. But again I think it may have just been talk. And no I didnt know about he tensioner, but I do now, also, ill let my new machine shop know about it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TweeT91109;1679757 said:
Ok so some good news and bad news, I did get my machine work done. But it was done very incorrectly. They machined the deck of the block, but they did it without any load on the block from the mains. Also, I have been informed that the idler pulley for the timing belt should have also been installed on the rear timing cover as it pulls on the #1 cylinder wall about a thous. So im going to be taking it to a entirely different machine shop to have htem do the work, cause I honestly think this guy at hte machine shop is trying to screw me and my motor up. Anyways here are some pictures of the incorrectly done work. I mean at least it still looks pretty. lol.
Just to clarify, the Tensioner bolt pulls #1 cylinder half a thou and it's only a concern when Boring or using a rigid Hone, if it's been honed with a flex hone it's fine as I mentioned in my PM.

If you're going to repost infomation I provide please be accurate.