New 7M Install

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
So Yesterday I received my head gasket and ARP head studs from driftmotion. And this is what I got. I wasn't too happy

ARP hardware that looked great

p1643088_1.jpg

p1643088_2.jpg

p1643088_3.jpg

p1643088_4.jpg

p1643088_5.jpg

Toyota replacement gasket that looked good till....
p1643088_6.jpg

I found a chunk of missing composite material
p1643088_7.jpg

p1643088_8.jpg

p1643088_9.jpg

p1643088_10.jpg

But I am going to be contacting them today to see what we can do about this because i'm not going to risk my motor to a imperfect gasket. This might seem a little extreme to some being that it is only composite material. But I just want to cover my own ass.

If any one thinks it would be ok to go ahead and still use this gasket with this chunk missing please let me know.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So I gave driftmotion a call, and they have no problem with me sending it back. They even offered to reimpurse me for the shipping. But I took it to my machinist, and they have imformed me that they have seen worse damage to some gasket that customers have brought in, and they are holding fine. So I went ahead and preped the block for the new gasket today. I got a lot done really. I changed over my valve buckets and shims to my old head. Then changed the cams over. Hopefully Ill be ok, and they wont wear differently. But keep my fingers crossed. I also got a lot of cleaning done today. The head mainly. Along with the water neck, themostat housing, CPS. Also the alternator bracket. Here are a lot of pics I took today. So hope you guys injoy.

P.S. Can anyone imput on, if me changing the cams into a different block, weather they will wear differently or not?

p1644979_1.jpg

p1644979_2.jpg

p1644979_3.jpg

p1644979_4.jpg

p1644979_5.jpg

p1644979_6.jpg

p1644979_7.jpg

p1644979_8.jpg

p1644979_9.jpg

p1644979_10.jpg

p1644979_11.jpg

Cams, valve caps, and shims all switched over to the new head. Also put on the fuel rail, and injectors.

p1644979_12.jpg

p1644979_13.jpg

p1644979_14.jpg

Old nasty and grimmy (if thats how you spell it) CPS. I will be replacing the cover and seal with the one off driftmotion.

p1644979_15.jpg

p1644979_16.jpg

Installed and set to 10degrees BTDC (its not set in this pic but its set now)

p1644979_17.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Cleaned the water neck and thremostat housing. Ill be needing a few new connecors for all the plugs and gagues to work correctly.

p1644979_18.jpg

p1644979_19.jpg

p1644979_20.jpg

Pipe that comes off the thrmostat housing that ill be replacing being that theres a big bubble in the rubber and two rips. Hopefully it comes in the kit that I was refered to by grim. But ill find out.

p1644979_21.jpg

No everything is together and ill be putting it on my block soon.

p1644979_22.jpg

p1644979_23.jpg

My block with new ARP's and the composite Head gaket replacment.

p1644979_24.jpg

p1644979_25.jpg

Head is on now. Just sitting. I have the nuts on the studs but they arent tightened down. Idk if im going to wait to tighten them down till I have the motor in the car or do it while the motor is out of hte car. If anyone knows what I should do let me know.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I put my old polished valve covers on just to keep crap oout of hte motor. I cant wait to clean and polish them :)

p1644979_26.jpg

p1644979_27.jpg

p1644979_28.jpg

p1644979_29.jpg

Motor with the soon to be home in the background

p1644979_30.jpg

The are so cute together :)

p1644979_31.jpg

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Hmm you asked a good question, would the cams wear differently in a different head?
I'd say yes. You didn't have the cam journals and lobes polished, or the cam caps and saddles in the head flapper wheeled (polished), not to mention mic'd for clearances.
Check the head in a couple months (2 is a lot) and see how everything wore into each other, because any little change will affect the gaps at the lobes.

and second, torque the head to the block before you lift it into the car.
it doesn't make a huge difference when, but its easier to walk around the assembly outside the car making sure its torqued correctly.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
thedave925;1645227 said:
Hmm you asked a good question, would the cams wear differently in a different head?
I'd say yes. You didn't have the cam journals and lobes polished, or the cam caps and saddles in the head flapper wheeled (polished), not to mention mic'd for clearances.
Check the head in a couple months (2 is a lot) and see how everything wore into each other, because any little change will affect the gaps at the lobes.

and second, torque the head to the block before you lift it into the car.
it doesn't make a huge difference when, but its easier to walk around the assembly outside the car making sure its torqued correctly.

Ok ill be checking the motor all the time. I'm not trying to go through another motor. Today I torqued the head down to only 60 ft. lbs (in intervals of 10 starting at 40ft. lbs, in the sequence given by TRSM. When I get it in the car ill torque it down the rest of the way. Im not going to have the motor in the car for a while being that X-mas is right around the corner. But after that. Ill be ordering a coolant line kit that I found from Samco via another thread. Thanks again Grim. Then ill move on to the vacuum lines, oil lines, then wiring up the harness, after I re-tape and put on all the new loom. After those ill be ordering a new clutch kit with flywheel, then the motor mounts. So far thats my plan. If anyone has any more tips that they know of please let me know. And thanks for all the help so far.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I highly recommend not using that gasket and you should have used atleast a cosmetic metal headgasket. How much boost are you going to be running? I honestly would no trust that headgasket. I have ordered thousands of dollars of parts from Aaron and I would send the gasket back. You should do it.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

I am not trying to be a troll but more of a helper. I have built two 7M's. One the wrong way and the second, the right way. That one made 300HP on eight pounds on a 60-1 on the stock AFM and injectors. Just head and internals had some work.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
IBoughtASupra;1645338 said:
I highly recommend not using that gasket and you should have used atleast a cosmetic metal headgasket. How much boost are you going to be running? I honestly would no trust that headgasket. I have ordered thousands of dollars of parts from Aaron and I would send the gasket back. You should do it.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

I am not trying to be a troll but more of a helper. I have built two 7M's. One the wrong way and the second, the right way. That one made 300HP on eight pounds on a 60-1 on the stock AFM and injectors. Just head and internals had some work.

Correct, the gasket's already been taken care of. I'm going to be running the stock boost. stock injectors, stock everything. Only thing that may be different is the inter-cooler piping. which is going to be solid with a after market BOV. Which I may not even install till I get the car running correctly on the stock by-pass valve and piping. Other then that. The machine work, isn't worth it being that this motor hasn't had a BHG, and the head i'm using was previously on a motor that had been prepped and ran on a MHG, it did have a 3 angle valve job and polish done to it. But that shouldn't effect the "stock motor" that i'm looking for too much. So thats why i'm using the composite gasket. I'm only looking for a stock motor, that ill be able to drive for another 20 yrs. Hopefully. But hey thanks for raising the question. I don't mind explaining myself.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So today I ordered a few gasket's. The lower and upper intake plenum's, exhaust, the water neck, valve covers, turbo water pipe gasket, (2) cam gear oil seals, water pump. Other then that. Now i'm just waiting for them. To the motor, I set the timing, and installed the timing belt. I also did some cleaning to the actually car. Just the door jams lol. Only cause I got bored. So now we wait.

On another note does anyone think this would be worth it? http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...y=USD&osCsid=0a379d5cf943bc90fefca0b8da0093b0

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
So im still waiting for my gaskets, but today I ordered a new CPS cover, and connector, a Toyota oil filter, some FIPG black, thermostat, and EGR block off set, all from Driftmotion. Then a set of 97-98 Twin Turbo MK4 Mounts from Elmhurst Toyota. Curt there is great. I actually ordered them, and charged them to my card. Then I called back like 5 minutes later to see if he could charge it to my PayPal (which he couldn't), he told me that then told me he already had them packaged and ready to go with a tracking number and every. So I was very surprised at that. Anyways, Ill post pics as soon as I have parts lol. Till then its just a waiting game :)

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
TweeT91109;1650474 said:
So im still waiting for my gaskets, but today I ordered a new CPS cover, and connector, a Toyota oil filter, some FIPG black, thermostat, and EGR block off set, all from Driftmotion. Then a set of 97-98 Twin Turbo MK4 Mounts from Elmhurst Toyota. Curt there is great. I actually ordered them, and charged them to my card. Then I called back like 5 minutes later to see if he could charge it to my PayPal (which he couldn't), he told me that then told me he already had them packaged and ready to go with a tracking number and every. So I was very surprised at that. Anyways, Ill post pics as soon as I have parts lol. Till then its just a waiting game :)

im gonna say it before someone else with a certain big name pops in and says it. Shouldnt use them unless your running a standalone because the back of the head will get hot. or somthing like that. i forget lol

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
northwestsupra;1650515 said:
im gonna say it before someone else with a certain big name pops in and says it. Shouldnt use them unless your running a standalone because the back of the head will get hot. or somthing like that. i forget lol

Yea if you only remove the filter part off the intake manifold. I have both removed....and the cooling plate. Not removing will also cause a blown head gasket also.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
northwestsupra;1650976 said:
Filter part? Egr...

sent from my ultimate droid

yea ill try to post a pic of it,

but I know of its risk. I live in Florida so theres no emissions....yet. I have done a lot of research on this and its just stuff I didn't need so I took it off. But I had to take it all off.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
northwestsupra;1650515 said:

A JDM ECU is also an option. ;)