need help guys mkiii vs. sc300 pros and cons

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
Hopefully this is the wright section for this.

well i have an 7mgte mkiii thats in great shape its somehwat rare but i have bad luck with the 7m's i used to own a sc300 and i loved it all tho it was an automatic. Heres my thoughts i love the look and the body mods u can do to the sc. i like the way the supra looks as well but theres not alot of body mod on it u can do that i like. Im about to buy a wrecked sc300 5-spd for cheep that i was gonna use as a daily since my mkiii is always broke. due to a certin problem that keeps happinging with my 7m thats freshly rebuilt.

Heres what i cant decide on so i want to hear some pros and cons of both cars and on what i want to do.

plan one buy the wrecked sc drive it daily for a while then towards the end of the summer pull the 2jge and put it in the mkiii and do the get thing =).

plan 2 buy the wrecked sc and fix it useing the money from the supra that i have 9 mounths of work in and a ton of money prolly worth between 4 and 5 k. i have some atachment to this car now but the sc needs alot of work one new quater panel head light and fender then paint and some other body work so its pretty costly.

plan 3 buy the wrecked sc sell the mkiii buy an sc thats in decent shape thats an automatic and swap the 5-spd out of the wrecked one into it and have a stock car with no more money to do anything with.

Im really confused and dont know what to do it would be hard to part with the mkii because of the time effort and money i have into it and i just dont know what to do i wanna hear some pros and cons of both cars. im gonna put this thread on a few other sites as well and see the out come.

Thanks,
Chris

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
If you like the SC that much, and could afford it, put the supra project on hold. Get th SC driving and back together and you can daily it....then get back to the supra.

When the supra is back to running condition with the problems fixed from there you can either sell one of them or keep both of them and mod from there.

Once both cars are up to decent running condition you can mod which one you want at whatever rate you want. Only thing with this is I'm not sure if you'd have a car to drive while you're fixing the SC.

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
The SC300 is a nice car, especially with the manual trans! That's a RAREfind. Don't let it pass you by. You'll regret it. Don't give up on your Supra either - at least not yet - because you may regret that too. I'm with guyana00. Get the SC up and running, and build it as time and money permits. Even if it has to sit while u stack money n parts, just do it and take your time. That way you'll have 2 BAD CARS! You'll be happier with it that way (I think). And PRAY TO GOD that your 7MGTE and other parts on your Supra don't leave u DD-less!!

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
both cars run just the sc needs alot of body work altho it is still driveable, and heres my delima with the supra its a na shell that i did a turbo swap on, i did everything right includeing a full stock rebuilt with new pistons rings bearings metal hg turned crang and everything i mean its literally a freak of nature pretty much stock and im pulling all over ss camars sti's and everything but heres my problem aperently somethin is out of ballance in the motor the flywheel bolts have back out and broke 3 times now in 3 thousand miles the last 2 times its only tanken about a week for it to happen and the last time i used arp bolts locktite red and torgued them down to what arp told me to torque them down to and im just not willing to take that motor out take it apart and have it balanced.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
No comment on what you should do, but the SC is the latter generation of the same basic car.

The Supra looks much better to me, but opinions are just that.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
if i had to choose to pick between my sc and my mk3, i'd pick the SC to build...but at the moment its my DD. I'd like to boost it in the near future, but the mk3 is getting built now so i'll hafta wait till im semi-done.

Sc just looks betta IMO, to me its like a more modern mk3.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my brother has an SC300 and he loves my MKIII and I love his SC..

it's newer, and MUCH more solid..

5 speed SC's came with w58's, so if you're planning on big power, that won't matter anyway because you can swap for a v160 or an R154, both of which have been done.

Honestly, pick the style you prefer, because you'll be happy with either one..

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
SCs are old enough now to have bunches of maintenance issues too and the parts are more expensive, I'd make a list of those items and call around for parts and compare

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SC is to the MKIV what the Cressida is to the MKII and MKIII...

Same basic car under the skin (coilovers for a MKIV work on the SC, ect), so I see why people buy em as they're usually MUCH cheaper than a MKIV.

I see more body mods for the MKIII than I see for the SC though...

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
Theres alot of body mod out for both cars if u know where to look but honestly the only body mod i like on the mkiii is a front lip and rear bumper add ons i guess only time will help my decision just depends on what i find and a few other things