NA MKIII Supra or NA FC RX7?

tiltmode43

Sep 21, 2009
Sunny Socal
Long story short, I've owned a few rotary vehicles such as the fc, rx8, etc.

My girlfriend is getting rid of her 86.5 which is fairly good condition. I am debating between picking up another vert fc rx7 or taking her mkiii.

From the Toyota side of things, what are some of the upsides to the MKIII? I know the fc platform very well but might like to change things up. What do you enjoy most about them? I'm talking NA of course, I'm most likely going to drop it, do some proper fitment, and call it a day. I'm just really stuck between the two platforms. Both are typical late 80's sports car designs which I have come to absolutely LOVE in the past years.

What do you love about your NA mkiii? What do you hate about it? Any insight and opinions would be greatly appreciated :bigthumb:

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
U are in one tough decision its all based on the condition between the 2 cars as the rx7 is a nimble true sports car and one the most attractive cars in that ERA..Then u got the supra a luxary car from that ERA with a nice suspension and a targa top for cruzin....It all depends on the purpose.. Highway racing ill take the supra but on a road course ill take rx7...A very hard decision...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Mr.PFloyd;1412635 said:
Then a supra doesn't break down at all? LOL.

Seriously though n/a rotaries last forever.

WOW i wish my supra was like this hahaha

lewis15498;1412564 said:
Just incase you didnt know NA is the abbriviation for Not Acceptable lol.

lol thats so true but i think a N/A Supra has a bit more balls then a FC

tbcmorris;1412642 said:
na rotories are slower the molasses

lol +1

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
tbcmorris;1412642 said:

woodytsi;1412653 said:
funny but true.
woodytsi

Tell that to the 787B

event03_8.jpg

mazda-787b.jpg

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Mr.PFloyd;1412635 said:
Then a supra doesn't break down at all? LOL.

Seriously though n/a rotaries last forever.

Nope. They don't if you take care of them and do routine maintenance.. or you have bad luck.

I've drove MK3's as DD for the last 7 years and never had anything major break on me.

My FC owning friend said it best, when referring to my high mileage MK3: "188,000? An FC would already be on it's 3rd motor."

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
Only ignorant people say Rotaries will be on their 3rd motor at 188K. I owned a FC 13B car for several years and I never once had an engine problem.

Ignorant people refuse to understand that 13B's burn 1qt of oil per 500 miles. So a typical person who thinks they are simply gonna change their oil in 3000miles on an FC RX7 will find a nasty surprise when they go to drain their motors and steam comes out. :nono: I loved my street ported high revving 13B :)

If you maintain ANY engine..... you can have it last quite some time!

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
I'm sure you are going to get a pretty biased opinion on these forums towards the NA Supra, but just go with what you want. Both cars have their ups and downs. Good luck.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Ehh... both are undesirable in my book but i'd probably just go with the soup? I've owned an NA soup and been in an NA 90 rx7, both are gutless and don't handle too well stock for stock but the soup was more fun imo.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
tiltmode43;1412549 said:
What do you love about your NA mkiii? What do you hate about it? Any insight and opinions would be greatly appreciated :bigthumb:

1. What did I love about my N/A MKIII?
I liked the fact that it always ran fine and required minimal maintenance after the headgasket. It wasn't the fastest, but that's cause it's stuck in a heavy chassis. You could always try to lighten the car, or just accept the car for what it is.

2. What did I hate about my N/A MKIII?
Well, it wasn't too fast and everyone was always let down by the fact that it didn't have one or two turbos. I didn't hate it for not being fast though. The reason I hated it was because it had absurds amount of rust (because I'm part of the rust belt) and because of the ghetto fixing that the previous owner's mechanic did to the car.

The reason I don't have it anymore was cause I couldn't take having down time because of my busy schedule, but the car was mechanically great, which is all that matters in this case since you're talking about the Supra with a 7MGE. All the other issues/things I didn't like had nothing to do with the engine. Good luck picking.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
tbcmorris;1412642 said:

Yeah but there faster than a N/A MKIII.

SupraOfDoom;1412774 said:
Nope. They don't if you take care of them and do routine maintenance.. or you have bad luck.

I've drove MK3's as DD for the last 7 years and never had anything major break on me.

My FC owning friend said it best, when referring to my high mileage MK3: "188,000? An FC would already be on it's 3rd motor."

Thats not true my buddy has almost 200,000 miles on his Fc, and yes its the orignal motor from the factory,

It really just depends on what you like, a small car thats great for the twisties, or the supra which is perfect for daily driving and still having fun, but not too much fun cause its a n/a.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Supra is too heavy IMO, and the RX7 would seem ideal, but with a different engine swap.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
SupraOfDoom;1412774 said:

What the hell are you talking about?
I used to drive a FB 600 km's back and forth for over 2 years. NEVER did it have a problem. the car got hit and retired at 302,xxx km's on the original engine. As Altezza said, you HAVE to put in oil in them regularly as they do burn oil naturally.
So wtf are you talking about.