My sons car got robbed

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Hello everybody. I need your help. As some of you might know my son has a 1987 Supra. Many of you helped me with rebuilding the engine because of a BHG over the summer. My son is 18. His birthday is Monday. He absolutely treasures this car. He calls her Iris and has been saving his money between going to college and working. Anyway.. he was at work tonight (he works serving food at an assisted living community) and when he came out to the parking lot he noticed that his car was broken into and his complete stereo system was torn out. It is the most brutal rip out I have ever seen. They literally took a crow bar and tore his complete center console out from the heater controls down to the shifter. Both side panels are destroyed and most of the remaining center console is cracked or bent. The damage extends from the headlight washer button all the way to the center console compartment. It will all need replacing. There are no salvageable parts at all. Only the ash tray. He is absolutely heart broken. He called me tonight to tell me that some thugs tore Iris's guts out. The head end unit they stole was worth $150.00 new tops. They also ripped out his power amp that was in back of the car along with his kicker and stole his brand new Ipod that was in the center console. They also broke into 2 other cars in the parking lot and did the same thing. Sorry for the long story but I feel very bad for my boy and I need to start finding parts to fix his car. Forget the insurance company... we didn't have theft on the car. Just liability and property damage.
The car has a gray interior. Obviously.. most of the parts I need are black but I need alot of them. A donor car is really not an option because I have been looking for one for over a year. On top of that.. my job is going pretty bad because of the economy so I need to find parts as inexpensive as possible.
How do I go about describing all the parts I need to get? I need exterior dashboard parts, center console, and many of the inner plastic parts that the dashboard covers. All of these were torn out.
Thanks and please.. I appreciate all the help I could get.
Sincerely... John G

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
sorry to hear that, i know how it feels my acura tl was stolen in august
as far as the interior components go ebay is your friend

here is the bezel, its best offer so you can offer like 25 bucks and see what they come back with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:3|39:1|240:1318

also check local pawn shops and used stereo vendors maybe you can track the mother fuckers down then press charges or flat out bust skulls...i prefer the latter.

good luck with everything

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
You should try getting this moved to the General MKIII discussion sub forum and try searching through and posting a WTB thread in the Classifieds section.

Sorry I do not have any spare parts to give up, but I hope all goes well for you guys

Oh yeah, try Craigslist too.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Damn, if I had any spare parts, I'd be shipping them for you asap. I fucking hate thieves. I like the idea of slicing a finger off for each offense...

Start a WTB thread here and you should be able to get most all parts needed relatively cheap. God I'd be pissed if someone fucked with my Supra...

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
I just noticed your in CT. i have an 87 parts car but it has a maroon interior, but now that i think about it some of the parts (such as the bezel) are same regardless of color. if you need clips, parts, or anything you can come up and pull them off my parts car. I'm located in Raynham, MA. PM me if your interested.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Thread moved to general - it's not very technical, and GE vs GTE won't matter for this.

Try to find some folks parting these cars - check Driftmotion and 935motorsports. Randy at BICPerformance was parting one a while back, too, not sure if he still has any bits.

A picture with the parts you will need circled will help a LOT.

And I would suggest an alarm with a pager for the future, as well as installing a manual switch that kills the fuel pump in case they try to take the entire car next time. There are many places you can put one, just flip it to OFF as you leave the car and don't tell anyone where it is.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
I'm up in Newington, and i have a spare stereo/climate control surround, and a Sony cd/mp3 player that's never been used....Let me know if interested....

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Same thing happened to my friend's car 6 years ago on a sunday. We were the only 2 people in the building. I went out at 10 am to get breakfast and called him saying "you left your door open on your car". When I came back from from getting breakfast we looked at the remnants and they had pried everything out. He was pretty pissed to say the least.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
I got up early to check out the damage and the entire dashboard will need to be replaced. Most of the inner plastic structure that extends from the heater module down to the center console is broken and shattered into many pieces. I circled one of the areas because if you grab it, it just flaps in the breeze. This is where the thieves jammed a crowbar in and tore the entire side of the dash out. As far as electronics... I need a headlight washer control, and a radio. I think we are going to put a factory radio in it because it is less likely to be stolen. As far as parts.. If I was able to get a complete dashboard that would do it. You guys know better than me in regards to the structural pieces so here are a bunch of pictures. Thanks for all your help in this aweful experience. You know.. you try to teach your kids to be trusting and tolerant and something like this happens. He is such a good boy and his love affair with this car is something I remember when I had my first car. He has been driving it for 2 years and really babies it. Here are the pics and thanks for all the help and continued help.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
i hate fucking thieves may they all burn in hell...

sorry to hear about your loss, have you tried local salvage yards?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I hate thieves, may they burn at the stake. Doesn't look like a ton of damage. GL with this, SM will come threw for you, you're family here!

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
D34DC311;1211917 said:
I hate thieves, may they burn at the stake. Doesn't look like a ton of damage. GL with this, SM will come threw for you, you're family here!

A complete dashboard will do it I think. Hopefully I will be able to find one.
I was even thinking it would be possible to graft a usuable lower section from the climate control module down to my existing dash but it looks very complicated.

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
Sorry to hear that. Trust me I know how awful it feels. Samething happened to my honda last summer, except they took the whole thing and stripped most of the parts and left it 30 miles away. Try some local salvage yards. you should be able to get most of those parts.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Just for my own information.... judging by the pics.. I do need to replace the entire dashboard... right?? I can't seen any other way to do it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You also need to replace the center console with the arm rest lid. I have a couple of them without the lid and switches. I will give you one of them. You'd just have to swap over your lid and switches. PM me an address. Pulling the dash is not quite the adventure if you look in the tech section for help.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
agreed with Grim

the entire dash has to come out.

Be careful not to arbitrarily pull as there are numerous elecrtical connections and specifically there is a jumper box on the driver side that if you pull, will kill any chances of a clean reinstall and also of a properly working system.

You should be able to find a complete dash without any problems. Hell most folks don't take the electrical harness that is part of the dash off :)