My 82 7mgte Swap

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
So I've finally rounded up most of what I need to do my swap, the car is in my garage, and I'm ready to make this happen.

The car:
1982 Toyota Supra

Mods:
Cusco F/R Strut Tower Bars
Adco F/R Sway Bars
Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs
Rear Camber Mod
Super Pro Poly Bushings

Maintenance Parts:
All New Brake System - OEM
New Shocks
New Seals/Fluid in 3.73 Rear Diff

What I'm Putting In:
7mgte - new headgasket with ARP studs
R154
New Clutch - OEM
Fluidyne Radiator
Flex-a-Lite Electric Fans
CT26 Turbo
Stock Electronics

What's Been Done:
6mge has been removed for quite some time now, used the money I got from selling it as a down payment on our home... wtf was I thinking? Donor Car has been purchased and stripped (if anyone is interested in a MINT-ish 88 Targa SHELL, PM me) and everything has been brought to my home... I'm an hour away from the people who would usually help me with this sort of thing, so I'll be going in all alone for the most part. No big deal though, this way I'm not rushed to get this done, it's not a 'OK I've got a day to work on the car, lets make the most of it' build anymore, which the wife thinks she'll like.

I ordered a brand new 85 oil pan from Toyota Thursday after picking the car up. Junk yards wanted ~$120 (after shipping) for one, got a BRAND NEW ONE from Toyota for $150. I will be heading out to get my clutch either tonight or Monday, depending on how motivated I get...

Pics for the day:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
The part I'm not looking forward to...

Why I will miss pulling the harness from a 5/6m... look at all those wires...!!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Yes, that is the complete harness from my 82.

And the rat's nest:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

There are 3 engine harnesses in there, 89 T Auto, 88 T 5sp, and an 88 NA Auto... Maybe I wont have to kill them all. lol

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And because I was bored, all of the wiring from the front half of an 88 T 5sp. Thought extra plugs/pigtails would come in handy.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
lol @ 2 months flying by...

Finally got around to working on the piece...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Turns out I DIDN'T keep the mkII engine mounts... lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pwnt.

But I noticed this after I turned to close up the garage...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Damn I got it rough... :sarcasm:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
sm_photo_missing.jpg

IC and piping w/ BOV
sm_photo_missing.jpg

TruBoost
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The LM-2. Wideband/datalogger.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

My son tuning for me... I guess. lol

Just waiting on mounts and wiring... *sigh*

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Good. I found your addy from where you sent that plate back, I plan to stop by UPS and get that cluster sent out to you sometime in the very near future.

Here's my update pics:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Tight fit:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
The car? Never if I don't get my harness back... I'm starting to wonder... If I had the harness right now, I think I'd be ready to rock by next Wednesday...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I sent it to 935 motorsports to have a swap harness made (so it would just plug in and I'd be good to go)... that was like... 4/17/09, with the understanding that it would just take a 'few days'... lol Bad part is, I don't want to rush him and it be wrong the first go 'round.

There's still some stuff I could be doing, but w/o the harness, where is the motivation?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
1. is this just a mockup and test fit? why is this engine sub-par in the bling department? where's the radioactive kermit skittle green color? why is there RED on those valve covers?

2. shoulda gone through Junkie for that harness. That's all I'll say about that.

3. Good luck! Hope to see this done before 2010 :D

Wish you luck with this build Matt.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
1. Yes. I may drive it like this during the summer, then pull it back out and do everything right... It will be painted, either green w/ black stripes or black w/ green, havent decided... IC pipes will be powder coated black, eventually. valve covers were ones I had laying around... Don't be hatin. :biglaugh:

2. I'm starting to see why the price was so low... I'm sure it will turn out great ...(spaced for easy qouting) But all is still well. I just told him that I needed it by mid-July, so we'll see what happens. I want to make Chicago w/ this beast something FIERCE.

3. Thanks. I just might need that.