My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
da89soup;1177756 said:
Hey Ken,

Yes I am back!! The new car looks great and god help you. The only thing a Jay Blue car will get you is a bunch of hillbilly jokes. All kidding aside, you could not buy a better car. The last Jay Blue car I rode in managed to make it from Texas to Alabama without any antifreeze or oil in the engine. I will be around again, if you need anything you know I am a PM away.

Later

Welcome Back. As you can see I've got another supra I am not able to drive. I just like to sit and stare at them in my driveway. It makes my wife real happy too. One thing about this car that was different from all the rest was I was able to drive this one home on a 4 hour trip. Not much after that unfortunately. Soon maybe :: crosses fingers ::

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
The machine shop called a little while ago.

They pressure tested the head---no cracks

It is warped by 6 thousanths (??) so it will be resurfaced for sure.

They did some kind of vacuum test on the valves and 4 of them did not do so well. I don't know if it's just on one cylinder but they are going to reseat those four valves. He said it could just be the amount of carbon built up on them and that it would actually be just fine the way it is but I told them to fix 'em. He said after that, that this head should be fine for a long time.

They are also going to clean it up real good for me. It should be ready tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this weekend I can have it all put back together and ready to drop in. Have to wait on some parts from Elmhurst Toyota still though. Curt is very quick at shipping so maybe tomorrow I should have them (hoses).

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
noah89t;1178234 said:
i know you wanted to do this quickly ken, but how determined are you to not have the block checked and possibly resurfaced?

This isn't about getting it done quickly so I can drive it again, ( ok, maybe a little ) but the main reason for a speedy fix is that I don't live at this house anymore. It's on the market and my wife is the listing agent. That on top of the fact she hates the very air it aspirates is not good. As of now, I've got the garage pretty junked up with supra crap and the driveway has an engineless car sitting there with a transmission beside it. Real attractive to potential buyers. That's why I'm the SM Expert on White Trash.:biglaugh: Also, I've only got about $300 more dollars I can spend on it, which some of that is already spent. I still haven't paid for the head machining yet, oil, coolant, and other misc. crap it'll need.

Ideally, It'd be nice to have it rebuilt with a MHG but I just don't have the time, place and resources for it. I think this engine will be fine for many miles to come. If I have to pull it again, the likely hood of an M series going back in is small.;)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
gtsfirefighter;1178264 said:
If I have to pull it again, the likely hood of an M series going back in is small.;)

BLASPHEMY!

Now let me know for sure which bolts you need. I can't say that I won't have to guess a little bit. I may just send you 5 pounds of Supra bolts that appear to be the right ones or close.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
ForcedTorque;1178277 said:
BLASPHEMY!

Now let me know for sure which bolts you need. I can't say that I won't have to guess a little bit. I may just send you 5 pounds of Supra bolts that appear to be the right ones or close.

Well I did not go out to the house today. I have been unable to venture to far from the bathroom. :icon_mad: So I don't know what's lost or not. Going out there tomorrow for sure if it means eating a box of Imodium AD! I'll let you know tomorrow.

I did run down the the local Toyota dealership and ordered the water pump studs. They'll be here tomorrow so don't worry about those.

I hate to say an M series won't go back in but a jz of either kind would look so damn good under there. We'll see what future funds will allow.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
gtsfirefighter;1178283 said:
I have been unable to venture to far from the bathroom. :icon_mad: So I don't know what's lost or not. Going out there tomorrow for sure if it means eating a box of Imodium AD! I'll let you know tomorrow.

um EWWWWWWW!!!!:biglaugh:

Noah is correct on the MHG as being the best solution. With that said many people do just fine on the stock gasket for a long time before it blows up again..........lol.

Ken on this one I have to agree with you. Having just bought a house I know if there were cars apart in the yard of the houseI was looking to buy I would be wondering what part of the house has been apart and what kind of work does this guy do. I say put the car back together clean up the house and yard and deal with the issue again at a later date if it comes up.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Today I picked up my head. It's nice and shiny and Poodles, it has new valve stem seals all around. They cleaned it up very nicely.
It's the only picture I've got for now.

p1179228_1.jpg

Also today while I was cleaning the block a little more I was able to see the amount of pitting around and between cylinders one and two. To be honest it scares me that with even a stock HG it is not going to seal good. Damn I wished I had more time....and money to have a short block rebuild done on it.

I did put the HG down on it after cleaning some more and it looks like it might be ok. I don't know. I cleaned the deck and pistons good with carb cleaner. I used a 3M pad to help. I've just got to say 'fuck it' and believe it'll be ok.

p1179228_2.jpg

Almost ready to put back together.

p1179228_3.jpg

Got home today to find a box of goodies.
$200 worth of OEM hoses.

p1179228_4.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Damn, should have gone with samco radiator hoses :D

Good going with the valvestem seal replacement, when they leak they make a nasty mess with 4 valves per cylinder...

Use copper spray on the headgasket to help seal the HG as it'a OK to use on the stocker. I had a piece of granite countertop that used wet sandpaper (for metal use and very fine) to lap the block a bit. The water was all that was needed to get the paper to stick to the granite slab. Not ideal, but it was all i could afford to do at the time... and I'm running a cometic HG on such a setup.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
p1179370_1.jpg

Ken I will assist with both male and female points of view to this picture.

Male-

Sweet Ken I am glad to see it coming together. That is one fancy ass trans stand you have next to your car. Looks like you didnt have all the fluid out of the trans when you pulled the motor. I feal your pain, it seems like you can never get all of that out and you always have some leak out everytime you pull an engine. Wow the cylinders and the deck look great. LOL at your Texaco antifreeze!! Its great to have extra antifreeze around since you do own a 7M supra.:sarcasm: Looks like the machine shop gave you a handy box to keep your head in. I really hate when you get things back from the machine shop and all they give you is your parts in a stupid bag.

Female-

Ken you Dumbass!! We are trying to sell this god damn house and you have you stupid ass car in the driveway with no motor and some stupid part of the car still sitting next to it in the driveway. Cant you at least bring that inside so the neighbors do think we live in Alabama. And whats with that red looking fliud all over the ground in our driveway. That had better come clean you know we are trying to sell this house right. Dont even get me started on the garage!! Why is it never clean?? Ah screw it I cant handle it anymore. And dont think you are getting any tonight cause your not until you get all your Supra crap cleaned up and get serious about our future.

:biglaugh:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
da89soup; said:
p1179659_1.jpg

Ken I will assist with both male and female points of view to this picture.

Male-

Sweet Ken I am glad to see it coming together. That is one fancy ass trans stand you have next to your car. Looks like you didnt have all the fluid out of the trans when you pulled the motor. I feal your pain, it seems like you can never get all of that out and you always have some leak out everytime you pull an engine. Wow the cylinders and the deck look great. LOL at your Texaco antifreeze!! Its great to have extra antifreeze around since you do own a 7M supra.:sarcasm: Looks like the machine shop gave you a handy box to keep your head in. I really hate when you get things back from the machine shop and all they give you is your parts in a stupid bag.

Texaco antifreeze jug is full of oil. I did drain all the tranny fluid. What you see in that picture is water from washing off the degreaser on the tranny so it will be pretty and clean. I did spill degreaser all over the floor of the garage, which you can see in the picture of the deck and HG. There is no room anywhere in the garage for the tranny. I have to step over things just to get around in there.:aigo:

da89soup; said:
Female-

Ken you Dumbass!! We are trying to sell this god damn house and you have you stupid ass car in the driveway with no motor and some stupid part of the car still sitting next to it in the driveway. Cant you at least bring that inside so the neighbors do think we live in Alabama. And whats with that red looking fliud all over the ground in our driveway. That had better come clean you know we are trying to sell this house right. Dont even get me started on the garage!! Why is it never clean?? Ah screw it I cant handle it anymore. And dont think you are getting any tonight cause your not until you get all your Supra crap cleaned up and get serious about our future.

:biglaugh:

Shut up bitch!

buckshotglass;1179389 said:
and why did you spray paint right on the driveway? :)

See avatar and that'll explain why I paint on the driveway.:biglaugh:

Mk3runner;1179527 said:
whoa... progress i see.! i got some going on myself. if i wasnt on my phone doing this id type more lol

You gotta a thread with pics?