My 1980 hilux 4x4 7mgte conversion Alot of pics

Apr 22, 2009
Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada
Nice build! I'm in the process of swapping a 7MGTE into my 85 4runner! What kind of clutch did you buy? What did you do for the fuel lines? 4runner run on passenger side while supra is on driver. Was thinking of running and bending new hard lines to the drivers side but that sounds difficult lol

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I used 10mm push-lock soft hose for the feed and 8mm push-lock for the return. I actually did away with the stock fuel tank and used the secondry tank I had in there which put it on the same side for the 7m.

The clutch is a heavy duty full face organic 7mge clutch (wanted fullface organic so i could ride the clutch when 4x4'ing), I had the 7mgte flywheel re-drilled to accept it. The bellhousing is made from the front few inches of a 7mgte-R154 Bellhousing and the rear is from a diesel toyota that had the r150f, I had to do it this way because my box is the earlier gearbox with the shorter input shaft and that way I could use a push type clutch as opposed to a pull type on the 7mgte-R154, which also keeps the price of the clutch down.

Hope this helps

Apr 22, 2009
Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada
Oh sweet. Yea i want to run an r-series trans too but im just gonna rock the stock w56 for now with the w58 bellhousing. What brand of clutch did you go with? I'm looking at a couple cheap ones on ebay that i'd like to try out but im not sure if they are still crappy scam clutches.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I think it's an exedy clutch from memory. Depends on your frame of mind, but if you get a cheap clutch at least that will start slipping before it does too much damage to your box or diffs

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
There's another name for them aswell, cant think of it atm. Was from beind a diesel 4 cyclinder from memory, holds up good, got a noisy bearing which it's always had. They are the same internals as a r154 basically, the ratios are different

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Well thank christ for fuel cut, changed the wastgate spring the other day, when I put the wastgate back in I put the hose to the wrong port. I know stupid me. But if it wasn't for the FC, it might have been night night for the engine.

On a side note, with that issue fixed and a little more boost, it's god damn fun to drive :D

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Yeah might have to do the same IJ.
For now just put a single spinner center I had in there until I get a chance to get the tailshaft balanced and rebuild another center.
Good thing is it didn't damage the ring gear.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Bit of an update, rushed for the last week to get it a street registered 1/8th mile drag meet. New tray etc, basic for now. Put the locker in again.
Managed a 10.5 with a slipping clutch. 2.65 60ft time. Nothing to be excited about, still ok for a dirty old hilux.
I had washed the motor and box down with degreaser prior to going to the meet, and I think some has found it's way onto the clutch plate, loading up in 4th gear the clutch would slip, which hadn't done previously and I highly doubt it was wheel spin lol.
The maxxis tyres were only down to 26psi and no smoke from them when doing the burnout so I think they may be a little hard.

So next time, will be getting the clutch issue sorted, different tyres and more boost and see what it can do. And maybe hook up the front diff with the locker aswell.

Will get some pics up of the basical tray later on, with a heap more work to do to it

Might even post up one of the runs if I can get the video, horrible to watch though, but will giveyou an idea of the slip in the clutch

Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
If I was you I would put a wrap bar in

axle wrap suck's might as well throw your diff in a grinding machine