WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
If I was you I would put a wrap bar in

axle wrap suck's might as well throw your diff in a grinding machine

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Well, after NashMan's suggestion I am going to look into caltracs or torque bars. Seems fairly easy to knock up and if it saves me a diff center then I am all for it

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Quick update.
Ordered some valve springs for it today, the Comp Cams 975's. The originals are getting a bit trashed out and starting to sound like a diesel.

Got a new 02 sensor

And waiting on a under body surge tank to rig in.

Will get stuck into the tray this weekend hopefully, need some weight over the rear, when it's wet as fun as it is, I'm not sure the local authorities would look upon sideways in 4th gear to fondly :evil2:
Try and finish off the side-steps/sliders

Finally going to get around to getting my front driveshaft done aswell. Pulled one from a 90's 4-runner and going to drill the holes in the flange of the drive shaft slightly, they have locating rings so it won't throw it out of balance.
I have to change the slip yoke/flange on the front to suit the early model diff pinion flange, have a few laying round so touch wood it should be straight swap.

And yet to do the disc brake conversion on the rear.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
NashMan;1859124 said:
why bother ifs rear axle and drums are plenty stroung as in brakes

Because it's alot of vehicle to try and pull up.
I bought an adaptor kit a while ago, uses Nissan GQ Patrol rear discs and early model Subaru Front calipers as the have the provision for the handbrake cable

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
pull up ?

front caliper have ebrake ??????? ummm ya sure on that one cause that is news to me

my truck brakes are to strong I find and that with 35's i still ave to re-adjust my rear per portioning vavle other wise bend the arm some more or re-monte it since my rear locks up under braking

and since the toyota truck rear drum auot adjust every time you pull the ebrake there no pesky adjustments needed with the slack adjusters

hell i make wrap bar befor nay thing hint hint wink wink

i have nto killed diff in so long since i added my in and chop thou shitty over loads off

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
NashMan;1859220 said:
pull up ?

front caliper have ebrake ??????? ummm ya sure on that one cause that is news to me

my truck brakes are to strong I find and that with 35's i still ave to re-adjust my rear per portioning vavle other wise bend the arm some more or re-monte it since my rear locks up under braking

and since the toyota truck rear drum auot adjust every time you pull the ebrake there no pesky adjustments needed with the slack adjusters

hell i make wrap bar befor nay thing hint hint wink wink

i have nto killed diff in so long since i added my in and chop thou shitty over loads off

Yeah will get around to the wrap bar.

And yes the early Subaru Brumby has the E-brake cable on the front calipers for some reason. Not sure why just some of the early 80's models do.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
My comp-cams valve springs got here the other day, a whole 5 days from Summit Racing in the states to my door in rural Victoria. Pretty Damn awesome

I have someone coming around tonight with a Blue-Point - Snap-on GA317 valve spring tool to do it, so hopefully once that's done, re-do my shim and buckets and won't sound like a diesel anymore :D

Also waiting on some fittings for the fuel pumps to come through the post. Then I can do my surge tank setup for it.

On a side note, bought a t04z for it, the old ebay t4 is getting a fair amount of shaft play in it. So figured I best replace it before it lunches itself, maybe a couple of weeks before I do so

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Well, did the valve springs last night. Did the rope trick, but next time, if there is a next time, I think I will make an adaptor for the spark plug hole for compressed air, the rope took a fair bit of manouvering before it would hold each valve closed properly.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Had good success over the years using nylon rope, doesn't leave crap in the cylinder is slippery and if you twist it going in the plug hole it'll curl up and fill the hole, I wind in x amount then bring the piston up on compression.

Had a couple of PITA failures using compressed air in the past
.. :(