3. Watch your motor sit slightly hot
4. Watch your temp gauge drop in reassurance
5. Realize the drop was from running out of coolant
6. See white smoke screen behind car
7. Have the motor turn itself off
8. Have the spark plug boots melt themselves to the head
9. See your spark plug valley full of oil
10. Realize you ruined ur your motor

A wise man once said the smell of a dead 7m is the smell of a JZ series motor being conceived :biglaugh:

So this is what happened to the supra yesterday morning on my way home today. I really have no luck and am kicking myself in the ass for not parking it when it first happen. So right now the supra is sitting safely in her garage awaiting the removal of the engine, and to see where we will go from here.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
kotu100;1474878 said:
Not tryin to be an ass or anything, but whether its a 2j or a 7m those 10 steps would destroy either.

Oh I know Im not saying its the 7m's fault, it was purely my fault that it happened and I know that It can happen to any motor.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
A pinhole leak lost all your coolant in 3 miles? I call BS on that. I had a water outlet gasket fail making the car leak what I call a considerable amount and the car only lost about a gallon of coolant (which was replenished while driving through the res tank) in about 5 city miles. That leak was much larger than any pin hole leak a hose would have. Sounds like you had a massive leak to me.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hmm.. I'm confused.

Normally when you run out of coolant, your temp gauge SPIKES because the air is REALLY hot compared to the coolant moving through the system.

Overheating causes oil to fill spark plug galley? I suppose if the rubber gaskets get too hot, they'd lose their sealing properties, but idk.

Not saying your story isn't true by any means, just wondering if this wasn't the culmination of a few issues instead of a simple pinhole leak.

The cooling system holds nearly 3 gallons, I can't believe 3 gallons left via a pinhole in 3 miles. Maybe we have a very different distinction of a pinhole though. :dunno:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jugodegolf;1474930 said:
Regardless of the size of the pinhole motor is toast. Bummer for sure Gurly.

This.

Who cares if said story isn't true or stretched a bit, he said it was his fault.
Sucks your motor is toast man, next time you will know to pull over. :/

PS.
I tried to blow up my 7m...I was unsuccessful.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
SupraMario;1474948 said:
PS.
I tried to blow up my 7m...I was unsuccessful.

You sir shouldn't even be on this site.........I thought you had to blow up at least one 7mgte to even be considered for acceptance on here. How did you sneak through the cracks?.............:biglaugh:

Good luck with the rebuild Gurley or whatever route you take.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
suprahero;1474950 said:
You sir shouldn't even be on this site.........I thought you had to blow up at least one 7mgte to even be considered for acceptance on here. How did you sneak through the cracks?.............:biglaugh:

Good luck with the rebuild Gurley or whatever route you take.

ROFL, See above avatar....thats how!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
gurley0916;1474842 said:
A wise man once said the smell of a dead 7m is the smell of a cheap MKIII owner.
FTFY.

Mr.PFloyd;1474884 said:
i've seen a 1jz run with out both fans and not even get close to overheating.

That means nothing. Running with no fan while you're driving doesn't matter, the fan is needed most when you're stopped, and of course an intact fan shroud helps as well. ;)

You can run a 7M with no fans too, so long as you keep moving, just like with most motors.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^Definitely!.............If you're an idiot.

If the coolant GAUGE sensor saw no coolant, that pinhole had been there quite some time as the gauge sensor is way down on the water neck. No surprise you torched the head. Do you think that a JZ runs OK with a coolant level 1/2 what it should be?

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Yes the pinhole leak caused a loss of coolant that i did not detect over a 150 mile trip that morning. During those xtra 3 miles though the leak got bigger and forced the loss of all the coolant. My belief of the oil is that the head warped so bad it caused the valve covers to not seal any further. Once again please go easy on the trash talk guys :aigo:

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
When i blew my head and it started to overheat I turned it off imediately. Let it cool back down and went to the store and got a gallon of water filled her back up. I had to still get home which was a good 3 or 4 miles so i babied it and shut it off let it cool down several times before i got home. I opened her up and she wasn't in bad shape compared to some of the other BHG's i have seen on here. I guess im just wondering how could you watch the gauge pin out and not shut it off? When it happened to me i was freaking out trying everything i could to save my motor. You must have just wanted an excuse to swap, lol.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Thats wierd, when mine overheated it would pin out really fast. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and don't be hastey, practice safety ;)