morganson's COP S-Type setup

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
satx88supra;1976279 said:
Now that!!! Is niiiiice!!

Sent from my LG Optimus G

What he said. Way nicer with the black plugs.

I currently have the IS300 mod, but would be very interested in switching to this simply for the aesthetics, as well as the fact that the coils actually fit snug on your mod.
I will be staying tuned into this thread, to see what you guys come up with for mounting plates, as well as harness prices.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
In that pic it is not mounted. When it is in the car I have the threaded galley plug at the front to hold the plate down but its really moot because these boots will never let go. Lol

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
supraguy@aol;1976282 said:
What he said. Way nicer with the black plugs.

I currently have the IS300 mod, but would be very interested in switching to this simply for the aesthetics, as well as the fact that the coils actually fit snug on your mod.
I will be staying tuned into this thread, to see what you guys come up with for mounting plates, as well as harness prices.
Right now I can do just a harness for about $60 that's including shipping but I'm not making a penny on these.
I still have to find out what the plates are going to run. If I can get a few we will be gold. But I'm not trying to make fortune here. Just trying to make a nice setup available for cheep.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
There are some boots that you get that are not formed right. If nothing else you can buy the boots cheap from any autoparts store. Boots for a 2003 escape are the best I have found so far.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I know we already discussed this, but to clarify-
Either the dg500 or dg528 can be used, we just need the proper length boot, correct?

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Yes either will work. The plate is designed for the DG500 and the 500 is easier to find. As long as the plug sits flat you will not have clearance issues. Also the boot that comes on the 500 is better for getting a solid seal. And the coil is cheaper overall.

The is300 coils are rated at 28kv probably due to the longer dwell.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Lol.
And ps again-
How hard would it be to make the plate out of carbon fiber?
I mean, its just a flat piece, with holes drilled out of it, right? Anyone up for trying that?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Cool idea/build morganson. I'd like to update my coils and get rid of the ugly 7M coil pack. I'll have to keep this in mind.

AbsoluteSpeed;1976086 said:
That's what happens when a CADmonkey gets bored..

Man, I'm always amazed at how quick the CAD guys are at work. I took a few classes in engineering school a few years ago and I can draw parts and assemblies and all, but you can certainly tell when somebody does it for a living. The guys at my work will whip out an intricate part in no time at all while I would still be working on the first couple extrusions. Thankfully, I don't rely on my CAD skills to pay the bills, haha.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
morganson;1976324 said:
Major thanks to AbsoluteSpeed for the hook up on the cad drawing. Things are serious now guys!

No problem. Please make sure to print one off and see that the coils will fit before you send it off to be made.

suprarx7nut;1976804 said:
Man, I'm always amazed at how quick the CAD guys are at work. I took a few classes in engineering school a few years ago and I can draw parts and assemblies and all, but you can certainly tell when somebody does it for a living. The guys at my work will whip out an intricate part in no time at all while I would still be working on the first couple extrusions. Thankfully, I don't rely on my CAD skills to pay the bills, haha.

Haha thanks. Sadly I never got a CAD job after finishing school so I started a trade. I think its time for me to get back into it though. Working outside at -20c all week sucks.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Scooter7M;1976830 said:
Hmm. I robbed my coils from a junkyard escape. I'm almdot positive it was a 2002. How do I know if I have a dg500 coil?
The dg500 has a long boot (5")
The DG528 has a short boot (3")
I have had a problem with the 528 boots being loose.