morganson's COP S-Type setup

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You know the rear-most galley plug- that has the threaded hole in its center for mounting a large hose clamp for the heater core hose? You buy two more of those from the dealer, and install them where the blank galley plugs are. Then just put a stud or threaded rod into them, so that when you install the coil plate, a little bit of that thread will emerge through the top. Then you can put nuts on them, to hold down the plate.
Conversely, you could skip the studs, and install bolts from the top, if you find the proper length.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
IM spending this week and into next weekend getting caught up on the rest of the work I have promised so I can pull another car in to MS for me. Id like to get a count with anyone that is reading how many more covers I should cut. Ive mental noted 3 along the way and 2 of them have been paid for. So just in general, I have enough to cut 12, with 3 being gone.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Scooter7M;1987027 said:
Maybe it's just late but I'm lost. Pics would help. Please

This should help clear it up. That threaded hex nut on the bottom are installed into the head the bracket gets bolted to it with the spacer to hold it in place.

Pic courtesy of Albert.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Received my plate in the mail just a couple minutes ago.
Looks fantastic, Nathan- thanks again. Only issues is, that I didn't get any spacers with it.
Honestly, not really an issue. I plan on using threaded rod to mount it, and i'll simply place nuts/ washers at the proper support height.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
ill check the paper work when I get home and I'll refund it. if there was a spacer, it would be taped to the end of the box. I apologize for not including it, I was trying to be careful to not let this happen.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I'll give it a shot, and update/ edit if people see errors:

Morganson DG500 C.O.P. mod:

Coils:
Dg500(long boot) or DG528(short boot). Morganson mentions that long boot fits tighter, though it must be cut down somewhat in length.
The coils have a number of cross-reference numbers as well:
DG500 - DG513, FD502, C1458, DG513, 5C1449, C565, etc, etc...
DG528 - FD496, DG517, E228, F596, C1436, etc, etc, etc.
Again, the main difference is boot length, and some of these may have angled boots- Morganson, please chime in.

Connectors:
They're sometimes listed as" Denso coil on plug" connectors, and I've found a few auctions on Ebay for them. They're used on Jags, Fords, and even some motorcycles.
They have somewhat of a "D" shape to them, with one slot/tab on the top side, next to the release clip. I bought mine from seller: "motorsports_overstock" on Ebay- good price.

The harness requires you to either reuse the oem coilpack plug(4 wires), or purchase a new one. This can be had from Driftmotion.com, and is listed as the CPS plug- same thing.
The other(more affordable) option is to splice in to both side of the connection, ANY 4 wire male/ female plug setup you like. I like the AC Delco weatherpack connectors myself.
Also available for the cheap on Ebay.

Mounting:
Thanks to Nathaninwa, we have a 1/4" aluminum mounting plate that he can provide for a very reasonable cost. It can be set up so that you can mount the coils
above or below, depending on preference/ space restrictions. It mounts to the spark valley, by utilizing the threaded galley plug that you'll find(1) on the rear of the head.
You will need two of these, as there are two mounting holes drilled into the "Nathan plate". However, it may not really be necessary to 'hard-mount' this plate, as once the coils are bolted into in, they really ain't going nowhere.

I will add to this as I have more info.

Coil: DG500
p1987250_1.jpg

Connector:
p1987250_2.jpg

Harness plug:
p1987250_3.jpg

Mounting Plate:
p1987250_4.jpg

Threaded plug:
p1987250_5.jpg

*EDIT* It also looks like the DG528 coil has its mounting tab offset differently than the DG500, so that would affect how you set up the mounting plate.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
supraguy@aol;1987250 said:
I'll give it a shot, and update/ edit if people see errors:

Morganson DG500 C.O.P. mod:

Coils:
Dg500(long boot) or DG528(short boot). Morganson mentions that long boot fits tighten, though it must be cut down somewhat in length.
The coils have a number of cross-reference numbers as well:
DG500 - DG513, FD502, C1458, DG513, 5C1449, C565, etc, etc...
DG528 - FD496, DG517, E228, F596, C1436, etc, etc, etc.
Again, the main difference is boot length, and some of these may have angled boots- Morganson, please chime in.

Connectors:
They're sometimes listed as" Denso coil on plug" connectors, and I've found a few auctions on Ebay for them. They're used on Jags, Fords, and even some motorcycles.
They have somewhat of a "D" shape to them, with one slot/tab on the top side, next to the release clip. I bought mine from seller: "motorsports_overstock" on Ebay- good price.

The harness requires you to either reuse the oem coilpack plug(4 wires), or purchase a new one. This can be had from Driftmotion.com, and is listed as the CPS plug- same thing.
The other(more affordable) option is to splice in to both side of the connection, ANY 4 wire male/ female plug setup you like. I like the AC Delco weatherpack connectors myself.
Also available for the cheap on Ebay.

I might have missed it and will re-read but are these designed to work with the stock igniter/multiplex system? They don't have the waste fire setup like the IS-300 coils so how could these be wired to the stock system?

EDIT: I found it, some info was updated on the first page. Just to make sure I understand it correctly, you're basically using the 1/2/3 coils as signals for the 4/5/6 coils while running the voltage to the 4/5/6 coils. Essentially making it run like a waste coil setup.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yup. Exactly as the oem coilpack works, to my knowledge.
Grim Reaper is working on an ignition controller, so that we can do away with multiplex, and improve dwell times by using a better igniter option.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Excellent compilation. All information is correct. The coil to use is the dg500 straight boot staight plug as it makes an easy and clean boot cut and clears all pipes. That is the same denso plug i get so far the best anf most reasonable to be had.
The current setup is still fired like the waste spark its just easier on the coils to have the six individual units. And as has been shown by grim other than not utilizing the coil to its fullest it still puts out more spark than both the is300 and factory coils.
I want to thank everyone who has chipped in time and effort to bring this to the point we are at now. This has been a huge step for the mk3 platform. I want everyone to know AbsoluteSpeed and Nathaninwa has had just as much to do with this as i have.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I would like to make mention to Nathan-
I have measured the two mounting holes in the plate to be approximately 7 3/8" apart, center-to-center; the actual mount points
in the head are approximately 7 1/16", center-to-center. I am simply going to drill out the two holes to make it work, and just cover the wider holes with a washer/ nut.
I ask that Morganson please double check my math on an actual head, vs. the cad diagram specs. If a new distance is actually needed, it would be of benefit to have this confirmed before Nathan makes his next batch.