more cooling needed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Back when I had my Mk3/LS/MoTeC Combination I ran a pair of e-fans, OEM Ford a bit like your Taurus fans, after playing around a lot and logging everything I found that I had to pwm the fans at a low speed when cruising at highway speeds due to the small frontal area of the Supra, didn't have to be blowing hard just enough and it ran a couple of degrees cooler.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ kinda like when air moves a fan by itself? Like freewheeling. Vs full blast and possibly blocking air?

That was all controlled with the motec.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep had the fans running on a pair of PDM's so I could soft start them as the inrush off all the Fans and Pumps exceeded the 140a Alternator if it all came on at once...

Supra LS actually ran at 91c cruise compared to the same engine in my Ute which runs mid to high 90's....

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Ok im gonna try to reply to all of you in 1 post. first off I thank you all for your comments even the negative ones. But I have 2 12 inch summit racing fans that are supposed to pull 1,107 cfm each on a metal shroud. I guess I dont have to run a 50/50 mix but I do bec it gets very cold here and some times my car sits out side. Im going to look in to the turbo a duct. Anybody ever install 1? Im not a good body guy. The as for the stock fan I really dont have super valid reason why I dislike it exp I almost took a finger off 1 time. I know the power loss isnt that much but it takes up alot of room up front and after 20 years there isnt anything better. I understand toyota put the car together to work properly but we all upgrade our cars from what toyota wanted and in some cases we have improved on what toyota did.... think stock hg...under tqed bolts from factory....small brakes that will warp and kill pads when car is pushed to 100+ multiple times....So yes I love the interwebs too. As you might have guessed my car like 90% of you that bought the car used didnt come with an undertray so just wanted to know if anybody road raced there car with a 7m and didnt have it over heat? or had any tips. I will put the stock tstat in but I did read some place about a guy drilling a hole in his. What woon and the other guys making 1400 did is cool but i dont think they pushed all 1400hp on the track for 30min. drag is way different then road racing. basically hold together for 12 or less and your good.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Small brakes that will warp when pushed to 100 mph multiple times? That is rich. If you need other cooling help, just ask, but that is all I have for now.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Im going to try to pick up the undertray this wk as for the fan clutch with shroud Im sure it might be a lil harder to find. Any company make a aftermarket undertray?

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Yeah 2200CFM is not nearly enough especially if you race the car no a track for 30 minutes. You need a LOT more airflow. Like WillWorkFoBoost said, run the Summit Racing ones as pusher fans along with the stock clutch fan and shroud. Should put you well over the 4000CFM range.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock fan clutch puts out over 3k cfm. 2200 is not even close.

Also there is a few lemons guys on here. I bet there all running stock fan and having great results.

Plus most of summit products tho work good and last are generally the bottom of the barrel as far as quality.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
No one mentioned the radiator he has, he said its bigger but not which one it is. Does it not matter if its one of the cheaper knock off ones?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
At one of the local tracks a group of E46 m3 guys began hitting temp run away issues. They narrowed it down to water pump cavitation and lack of airflow. Main issue of concern was that they spent 30 mintues between 4-8000rpm at speeds that didnt provide enough airflow. The m3 has a clutch fan and electric fans too.

Saw a similar issue posted on a tuning forum with a drift car. The load on the engine and constant angle of the car through turns reduced airflow to the right areas.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
ducting is your friend, but that aside 2200cfm is awful in comparison to clutch fan, and the hydro-fan is another fair step beyond that (for the sake of argument).

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
were did you guys get the #s for the stock fan? was it posted some were or a forumla for the size of the fan. I dont think im getting cavitation. I know IJ had said something about that years ago but It was bec he was turning High revs (in my book) Ill only rev out to 6k max.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
grimreaper;1927604 said:
At one of the local tracks a group of E46 m3 guys began hitting temp run away issues. They narrowed it down to water pump cavitation and lack of airflow. Main issue of concern was that they spent 30 mintues between 4-8000rpm at speeds that didnt provide enough airflow. The m3 has a clutch fan and electric fans too.

Saw a similar issue posted on a tuning forum with a drift car. The load on the engine and constant angle of the car through turns reduced airflow to the right areas.

This is why I ran the EWP in Series with the stock pump as the 7M pump is useless at idle and cavitaes it's brains out at high RPM...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IJ.;1927743 said:
This is why I ran the EWP in Series with the stock pump as the 7M pump is useless at idle and cavitaes it's brains out at high RPM...

is that the blade design that causes the cavitations? has anyone tried to tweak the blades to balance them or anything?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I think it's just outside it's efficiency range, you might be able to twaek the steel blade pumps but the cast ones bzzz fail, then how do you go about testing any changes?

An add on EWP was easier ;)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IJ.;1927759 said:
I think it's just outside it's efficiency range, you might be able to twaek the steel blade pumps but the cast ones bzzz fail, then how do you go about testing any changes?

An add on EWP was easier ;)

Where did you add the EWP in the system? I'm hoping to get my car to rev to 8k so I want to make sure that everything will handle it before I raise the rev limit from stock.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
IJ.;1927743 said:

How do you test for or monitor pump cavitation? I know the M3 guys were working on a clear coolant hose and dyno time. They were hoping to see it visually. Never heard how the test went.