Mookeh eBay short shifter experiences

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Now before you respond with a "they suck" or any other type of input based on what you have heard other people say, I want to get this out on the table.

Please dont reply unless you have some real experience with this, and if you do then explain why it sucks or why you like it. Most people are offering opinions in other threads without justification. Not that I dont believe them, but they dont really explain anything.....

There are two different types of these shifters on ebay now.
MK1-MK3-SS5.JPG

This one above is going for around 170 shipped and it looks similar to our stock setup.

suprashifter2copytr8.jpg

The other is going for about 90 shipped and it looks to have a straighter shaft that is narrow....

Nopaint

Jan 30, 2007
GA
I have the one in the above picture. It's been on the car for about 2 years now... I haven't had any problems with it.

boosted17

Jun 5, 2005
Florence, KY
I have the shorter one. It was on the car when I bought it. I like the looks of it in the car but I am not a big fan on how it feels when I shift now.

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
we put one on my dads car 2 weeks ago and the it looks good but that's all. everything started out fine till it got all loose and vibrates alot at high rpms. gonna pull it out and reinstall the stocker.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
It got loose because the bolts holding it down came loose. Remember to lock tite them. So overall these short shifters are not to bad? I have a C's and am loving it.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
So im assuming that all of you that reviewed have the one in the top picture?

The skinny one on the bottom pic looks like it comes straight up. I dont know if I would like that.....

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I am looking for a short-throw and really cant spend the $280 for the suprasport. Does anyone own that (tiny) eBay one shown as the bottom picture? I really just can't stand the truck-like shifter in my car. Were loose bolts the result of the loose shifter in the above picture? I'm begging for some good advice on a budget short throw (that isn't cut and still lets me thread on a knob).

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
daneyan said:
we put one on my dads car 2 weeks ago and the it looks good but that's all. everything started out fine till it got all loose and vibrates alot at high rpms. gonna pull it out and reinstall the stocker.

DON'T!!!!! the problem is NOT the shifter. get these shifter bushings from marlincrawler.com
they are derlin, compared to the smooshy 20 year old bushings in your car. they will absolutely make your tranny shift like brand new. they are one of the best mods for the money ive ever done to my car!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/trans_parts.htm

get the 10077 and the 10078

i remember shipping being overly priced, but just trust me and do it. the shifter is rattleing cause the stock bushings are wore out. if your put these in, your shifter will be rock solid in place and will have no side to side movement while in gear.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've seen a couple people install their shifters not realizing they were completely missing both bushing and seat.

Any way about it, I'm sure some would like a thorough diagnosis as to what happened, Daneyan.

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
the shifters out already, and the stockers back in. don't really know what the problem was with that particular shifter but my dad had it.

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
CRE said:
You and your dad both have MKIIIs? So you'll be trying it out next, correct?
i'm gonna be swapping in my 1jz setup into another supra that i just got as i crashed my old one. i'll try it out in mine and see what happens.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Hehe, I was just kidding, but I suppose that since I've already intruded on this thread I may as well offer some help... So, Daneyan, which style is it that you have? MK1 (top) or MK2 (bottom, long and thin)

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
i have the thin one on the bottom. if shifts shorter. the problem with it is that the angle is more upright so if u have short arms like me u might miss going to third. i also chopped a few inches to make it even shorter. shift is stiff and short. after market knobs are required for both of them. if i had to do it again i would go with the short fat one up top

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I really want a post that will accept the Toyota knob. I would love to look stock but have a real short throw. Running a die down a turned-down knob would require one more lathe than I have (and a little more machinery intuition).