Mk3 supra sub frame & targa braces

eltorodebull

Jan 12, 2011
SC
Just a feeler... How many people would be interested in a set of sub frame braces.. I'm currently in the process of designing some of these. They are 4 pieces bolt in or you can weld in your choice. One on the drivers frame from front to the rear. One on the passenger frame from front to rear. Two braces that cross and connect the complete the assemble from driver frame and passenger frames and tranny mount. Using 1in tubing/square stock and 1/4 plate steel plates for brackets and reinforcement. no price as of now... Just curious if anyone else would like a set. R&D and prototype will be completed by 1/28 with pictures posted to this thread. Final product ready for ship early March. This will stop the mk3 targa top wet noodle uni-body problem with targa top off. Should way in at less than 50 lbs. Some carbon fiber will be used in finished product to keep weight down. I have not seen anything close to this set up on the market yet. Great for high horsepower cars! drive shaft loop can be added for a price if you like

Also MK3 SUPRA TARGA TOP: BOLT IN TARGA TOP BRACE!!!

In R&D PIX coming soon

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Any benefit for hardtops?

p1789908_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If this frame brace will get rid of the wet noodle feel with the targa top off...

why do you also need to sell a targa top brace?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not to be a naysayer, but do they do anything for our cars? I know on F-bodies and pretty much any Mustang, many Corvettes as well, they are a MUST have, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone make them for the Mk3 or Mk4 market. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a fan of chassis flex (one Camaro will teach that lesson), but is there any benefit, in practice? I know they sell strut tower bars for the Mk3, and they're nearly (if not completely, I have seen them on the Group A cars though...) useless for chassis bracing on our cars.

However, I would love to be proven wrong (even if my wallet wouldn't), so I'll keep an eye on this one. :)

As for the hardtop question, they had to add support (correct me if I'm wrong, but most of that was in the doors and near the b-pillars) for the Targa cars. I wouldn't be surprised if there were places the hardtop could be improved. This could be one of them.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
The bracing on Group A cars was tied into the roll cage, thus making it worthwhile. Frame connectors on these cars don't do anything. The MKIII is already a stiff chassis. If you want a stiff chassis, stitch weld and roll cage. Added on "Bracing" is doing nothing but adding weight.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
the part of the mk3 that flex alot is the back cabin part were passengers are

duluck sold bace for this and it really does wounders back adding to the floor wonte do to much