Mk3 Heart-transplant or rebuild. 1JZ-GTE swap or 7M-GTE build? Help.

7M-GTE vs. 1JZ-GTE

• Total voters

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I checked on the one site where I was originally going to get the 1JZ (which in case anyone is wondering, is $1500 for the full engine with ecu and wiring harness and have it shipped to my shop) and found that the 7M-GTE is about $400 more than a 1JZ... Huh?! :icon_conf

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
7M-GTE came in less cars, that would be my guess as to why. I'm sure if you browsed the classifieds or posted a WTB you could probably get one cheaper than that. The problem with going 1JZ is you need a bunch of other parts to drop it in as its not a direct drop in. You will need a bellhousing and other stuff. If you look in the 1JZ section there are a few very good stickies on what you need. For what its worth I've bought as much as I can second had and I'm $3,500 into my swap so far, including the cost of my motor :(

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Well I can get a decent turbo setup for either option for just the price of the manifold. My friend decided to go V8 in his FC so he's getting rid of his T3 turbo. Since he's working a job that pays about $1000+ a week he's not worried about money and said he would give me the turbo for no charge as long as I let him borrow my racing trailer when it's available.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd go 7mgte in your case. Which i did. Less hassle to get it up and running granted you do all the work your self plus rebuilding anything you want which you mentioned you want to tear it down and build it back up. Plus, dropping it in with all the available parts (harness, mounts, transmission etc) and some more with the rest of the money, upgrade the essentials ( clutch, radiator, FMIC). Also you can use the rest of the money to get everything else in the car refreshed ( hoses, new fluids) then you can buy performance upgrades (downpipe, exhaust, intake, 550, lexus AFM, 57 trim) while you're at it. With that budget you can have a fun 7M all day. 1jz i'd say you have to double the budget.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think your poll questions are not quite correct.. should add 7MGTE and 2jz.. lol.
never done a JZ swap, but sure like the looks of a properly done one. Dont think any of the "proper" swaps were cheap though.

7M-GE turbo swap and build <---- title is 7MGTE... this is a 7MGE-T
1JZ-GTE engine swap

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
So here's my question now. I have been searching more about the piston oil squirters. Some say you NEED to have them in a 7m turbo. Others say it's not 100% necessary as long as you run forged pistons. It seems to be about 50/50. What's the verdict?

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
1J is not any better than 7m. Build it right, you won't have any issues. Instead of 1J, I would consider 2J with the time and funds you have to spend on the project.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I think I'm leaning more and more towards 7M now... Brian Crower has some nice parts for it. Forged pistons for about $1000, bronze guides for a little over $200. head and main stud kits for about $350 (probably unnecessary for only 300+ hp but never hurts), Street/Strip cams for about $750 (I'll probably look into custom cams since we will learn more about camshaft selections next year and maybe I can get a way better cam setup made). Keep the info coming. All of this information is extremely helpful.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Just a quick heads up - I have a spare 7M-GTE motor (with rod knock) in my garage, pretty local to you. If you're looking for a block (or any other parts) from a turbo motor, you're welcome to take a look at what I have if you're interested.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Thanks Emilio. PM me or even hit me up on Facebook because as long as it isn't something your looking to sell immediately I would be interested. Cranks were exactly the same in both GE and GTE correct?
I'll check out DriftMotion. My buddy just told me some places to browse and I already had a BrianCrower page open so I looked for what they had for 7m's those were their prices. Either way I'm still browsing.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
If I could add it would be to tell you that no matter what you choose, do it patiently, do it right and build it overly capable of your power goals. Then ur going to be happy as hell with the finished product no matter what. It may cost a little more but will save u alot in the future. I've been building mine (7M) for over a year now and I get goosebumps every time I turn the lights on in the shop because I'm so excited to drive this thing, but I will tell you o doubled my budget because it was either do it now or do it later.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I would be more than happy with 300hp and if I can get more out of it that would be even better. I'm thinking with the head work and the aftermarket pistons alone it should put out some good numbers along with the turbo.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
If that's all you want then get a 7m and enjoy it. I'd go with a metal head gasket and New studs right off the bat. If you went mhg, 57 trim ct26 and lex 550s with a boost controller you would easily see that for less than 1jz swap. Sometimes it makes me wonder why the hell I'm swapping mine

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Well unfortunately since I'm probably going to stay with the 7m I won't be able to use my friends t3 turbo because all of the manifolds for 7m's are t4. so I may be stuck with a stock ct26 for a while.