MK3 BBK Kit!!!

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
They have the same mounting points but they are different calipers.

I'm wondering now if the brackets were made to specifically fit those huge rotors (most likely) or if you could swap in the stock ls400 rotors and caliper (that isn't machined down) and have it fit correctly.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
The op mentioned the calipers are machined down to accept 13.5 rotors, so you would have to send in your TT calipers to get machined down for it to work. If that is even an option, which I doubt.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Sorry guys been out of town. First off I am really not interested in customizing these kits. They are what you see. Caliper color is workable. We have access to about every color. It would just be $50 extra if you do not want the Black or Red. As doing a one off or very small batch obviously costs us more.

I will sell a set of brackets and rings by themselves but they are useless without out the CNC calipers. The calipers have to actually be cut down to even fit tight enough to the stock hub to sit down tight on 13.5" rotors so small rotors will not work at all! There is a large interference between the stock calipers mounts on the MK3 hub and the large mounting ears on the LS calipers.

As for 2 piece rotor hat combinations. The whole point of this kit is economics. It is a kit that most street and mild track day users will never push to the limits. The 5lbs per wheel difference in rotor weight is simply 1lb of boost(if that probably more like a 1/2lb of boost) to compensate. On a street car the weight is nothing in the spectrum of things that affect you on the street daily. I will be coming out with more kits as time goes on but the price will directly reflect these changes. There are currently kits available on the market with 2 rotors and hats and a reasonable price. So the who goal with this project is to not compete with them directly but rather offer another option. And one at under $1000 which I have done by quite a bit.

People keep asking about deposits. I will start accepting deposits after 15 people have fully committed. If you have posted saying you are in but not fully committed please tell me so I can remove you from the list until you are fully committed. As I do not want to get 15 on the list and then find out only 5 are serious. So if you are serious and committed please go to the GB page and post your name in the list or make it clear you are fully committed.

Thanks,
Seth

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Did the pad contact increase vertically with the different 13.5 rotors on this kit? Or no, and only more surface area is gained for the pads to ride on once brake is applied?

Also, does the pad contact the whole braking area on the rotor? No extra surface free riding and will start to rust right?

Lots of questions before I commit.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
joel903;1756700 said:
Did the pad contact increase vertically with the different 13.5 rotors on this kit? Or no, and only more surface area is gained for the pads to ride on once brake is applied?

Also, does the pad contact the whole braking area on the rotor? No extra surface free riding and will start to rust right?

Lots of questions before I commit.

Not sure what your first question is asking? But at this point it is more like you are questioning the quality of the kit, go to my Misc vendor page and take a look at the products I make to see the quality of my products. I don't produce products just for fun. They are all performance based, so as a whole to answer you questions the pad covers the entire rotor mating surface although there is pad over hang to the outside which is common with almost all systems. If you are unsure then wait till after the group buy is over and see the reviews and go from there!

Seth

Suprazz

Jul 19, 2007
Québec
www.perfecttuning.net
sorry I didn't read the whole thread but is this possible to have blank rotors instead of drilled rotors? I already had problems with drilled rotors.

Also, what's about the brake pedal. I have a bbk and because the calipers (alumimium) are flexing a little bit, it make the brake pedal feel soft but it brakes very well. What's the feeling with this bbk?

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
What happens if not enough people sign up? You got me breathing all hot and heavy over this kit and then there was talk of you doing the rears YEAH BUDDY! LOL

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
If not enough sign up for that price I will make a proposal to the ones who have signed up at a slightly higher price as obviously that price break is determined by the number of initial customers.

Thanks,
Seth

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
sethron71 said:
Not sure what your first question is asking? But at this point it is more like you are questioning the quality of the kit, go to my Misc vendor page and take a look at the products I make to see the quality of my products. I don't produce products just for fun. They are all performance based, so as a whole to answer you questions the pad covers the entire rotor mating surface although there is pad over hang to the outside which is common with almost all systems. If you are unsure then wait till after the group buy is over and see the reviews and go from there!

Seth

Just looking at an outside point of view here and not meaning to sound like a dick here however people just wanted to know some basic technical data on the kit and then you appear to challenge them as if they are insulting your products? I would have to say thats not a very good buisness tactic.

If you would take the time to answer questions like these which should be pretty basic if not essential stuff you would likely sell more kits:

3p141592654;1756962 said:
What is the piston area, swept area and effective radius (torque radius)? Please compare to stock. Thanks.

Again not trying to be a dick here, just pointing this out so people will get the information they want and therefore you will likely gain more sales.

Thanks,
Dan.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
BBK Piston Area: 2.7709794 sq./cm x 2 pistons =
5.5419588 sq./cm
Stock Piston Area:
4.75182125 sq./cm

BBK Pad Area: 6968.9 sq./mm x 4 =
27.8752 sq./cm total pad area
Stock Pad Area: ????

BBK Swept Area:
455.93 sq./cm
Stock Swept Area: ????

BBK Torque Radius:
323.5 mm

I will have to get a stock rotor and pad in my hands again to make obtain the rest of the stock information.

Seth

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Do these rotors have the same offset of the stock ones? As in does it move the caliper closer or futher away from the rim. I know you made that hub ring spacer, but dont know if you used that to locate the rotor to match the caliper or just how you made it.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
The rotors are further in to give wheel clearance. This puts the caliper and rotor as far in as possible while still having proper clearance on the steering knuckle. But needless to say no the rotors as a whole do not have the same back spacing as stock.

Thanks,
Seth

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
i've got conflicting info reading through the thread but are the rotors off the shelf parts too? IE-once i've bought your kit and need to buy new rotors of my choice, can i go out and buy a set of centric blanks or whatever I want, or am i stuck buying new rotors from you?

also, what's the distance from the center of the hub to the highest part of the caliper? I need to measure against a few wheels i've got to confirm they won't clear my 17s. The LS400 has stock 12.4" rotors for the years that had these calipers, and they fit under 16" wheels. so even upping the rotor size an inch theoretically should let them squeeze under 17" wheels. LS calipers are thick as hell though, so you usually ended up needing spacers to clear them laterally.

How much of the bigger rotor is used? i saw in the pic you posted that there seemed to be an approx 3/4-1" circle around the hub that isn't in contact with the pad, (this pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/sethron71/MK3 BBK/IMAG0375.jpg) Is that true or is it ust the light/angle of the shot?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Not sure where the information is conflicting. They are off the shelf rotors so you will be able to select what ever rotor you would like when you go to replace them! I will tell you now they will not fit under a 17" wheel. They only clear the inside of an 18" wheel by less than a half inch. The rotors are actually 13.1 inches. As for the picture the rotors are unused in the photo so there is no wear area on the rotor so it is just angle and lighting. There is only about a 1/4" of unused rotor which is typical. It puts the pads all the way out to the outer edge.

Seth

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
sethron71;1789091 said:
Not sure where the information is conflicting. They are off the shelf rotors so you will be able to select what ever rotor you would like when you go to replace them! I will tell you now they will not fit under a 17" wheel. They only clear the inside of an 18" wheel by less than a half inch. The rotors are actually 13.1 inches. As for the picture the rotors are unused in the photo so there is no wear area on the rotor so it is just angle and lighting. There is only about a 1/4" of unused rotor which is typical. It puts the pads all the way out to the outer edge.

Seth
Does the pad sit fully on the rotor?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
sethron71;1789091 said:

Seth
how do you round a 13.1" rotor to a 13.5" bbk!?

interested in seeing a used rotor pic though.