mk3 4 a first car

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
Id say go fwd or awd for your first car. It safer and easier to handle. I learned to drive in a Camaro and when the ass end slides out itll scare the hell out of you at first. The early 90s subaru imprezas can be found in awd cheap safe and get good gas milage.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I had a 240sx as a first car. Got it for $800 and it was worth every penny. I invested atleast 6x that much in just basic repairs, not to mention mods. In the end I sold it because my entire paycheck was literally going to just keeping her on the road..

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
Poodles;1734025 said:
But actually buying a 240 that isn't a complete basketcase POS for cheap isn't going to happen because of the drifto craze...

Also, there's nothing wrong with VTEC. All car companies run a form of it now...
well i dont like it when i see a honda civic with a 3 ft high spoiler and a 6 in exhaust they just dont sound good in my opinion

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
The Supra will be tough for a first car. It's a lot of maintenance involved, or at least mechanical knowledge due to the fact that you'll need to prepare for things if something goes wrong, either due to previous owner neglect or just overall age and mileage. Also, turbo + RWD for a younger person will be tough to adapt to. Most young people tend to drive over aggressive and don't understand the limits of their car. It's a generalization, but it's somewhat true IMO. If it was N/A, it would be more manageable, but basically, as a first car, I recommend you read the forums a lot to gain knowledge, and take things easy (and basically drive the car to learn it before you do anything stupid). Or...just don't get it as a first car.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supralover2;1734078 said:
well i dont like it when i see a honda civic with a 3 ft high spoiler and a 6 in exhaust they just dont sound good in my opinion

That's why you don't do that to your car ;)

There's quite a few heavily modded hondas around here that outside of having nice wheels, lowered, and having a tastefull exhaust on it, you wouldn't know they're monsters that would eat you alive.

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
Poodles;1734099 said:

There's quite a few heavily modded hondas around here that outside of having nice wheels, lowered, and having a tastefull exhaust on it, you wouldn't know they're monsters that would eat you alive.
i have seen a few nice civics and heres the car list im looking at please tell me whats good and whats not
1.MK3 Supra
2.2003 eclipse gts
3.99 eclipse gst or gsx
4.3000gt sl
5.Acura Integera GS-R

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supralover2;1734105 said:
i have seen a few nice civics and heres the car list im looking at please tell me whats good and whats not
1.MK3 Supra
2.2003 eclipse gts
3.99 eclipse gst or gsx
4.3000gt sl
5.Acura Integera GS-R

1. Expensive
2. chick's car and overall a fat car with no power
3. It's a DSM, they're great if they're bone stock or you enjoy being broke (Supra is far better)
4. 3000GT's have headgasket, oiling, and electrical issues, supra would be better (sideways V6 with half the engine under the dash = nightmare)
5. Third gen Integra is easily one of the best (if not the best) handling FWD cars ever made. Difficult to find one that hasn't been ruined though. Even a base model is fine, engine swap can come later, just find a clean one :)

Also, negative on the neon. Too many stories on that one...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
supralover2;1734012 said:
ya but im not a big fan of vtec but the 240 would be cool

Lol. Not a of vtec? Maybe you mean not a fan of vtec stickers on riced out, fart canned cars?

Vtec (or any other company's counterpart) is fantastic. Economy cam profile and a race profile in one motor? Very cool stuff.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DSM: if your car isn't broke, YOU are. ;)

I'd still lean toward Miata hardtop, for all the above reasons I've listed. They get decent mileage (geared pretty sporty though, so expect 28-30mpg, I got ~25mpg average, but mine also saw a LOT of redline and canyon driving), and they sound great if you leave the exhaust alone.

That said... you seem pretty set against them, so I'll stay out of it. Would still recommend a test drive though... once you drive one, it's hard to care what they look like. :D

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
suprarx7nut;1734147 said:
Lol. Not a of vtec? Maybe you mean not a fan of vtec stickers on riced out, fart canned cars?

Vtec (or any other company's counterpart) is fantastic. Economy cam profile and a race profile in one motor? Very cool stuff.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
yes im not but trust me i like and respect vtec for all the right reason but people do all the wrongs thing to it and about the sound some sound good but its kinda high pitched i like the deep low sounding engines.Ive been looking at some eclipse gsx's

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
Find a miata.... there a ton of fun and half the time your 0-60 won't be much slower than all then your friends... but wen the first turn hits lol lets just say my buddy with a mustang stopped calling it a "gayata" the first time I schooled him in the twistys :p

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
te72;1734148 said:
DSM: if your car isn't broke, YOU are. ;)

I'd still lean toward Miata hardtop, for all the above reasons I've listed. They get decent mileage (geared pretty sporty though, so expect 28-30mpg, I got ~25mpg average, but mine also saw a LOT of redline and canyon driving), and they sound great if you leave the exhaust alone.

That said... you seem pretty set against them, so I'll stay out of it. Would still recommend a test drive though... once you drive one, it's hard to care what they look like. :D

definetly my sis has a miata thats one of the main reason i dont want one

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Might also want to look at 80/90's subarus. Could get some serious sleepers (like a station wagon with AWD and a turbo) and since it's AWD they're pretty safe handling wise. Pretty damn reliable too.

Of course a lot of this depends on your budget...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
supralover2;1734566 said:
definetly my sis has a miata thats one of the main reason i dont want one

Bet she doesn't drive it like I drive them. ;)

Poodles;1734610 said:
Might also want to look at 80/90's subarus. Could get some serious sleepers (like a station wagon with AWD and a turbo) and since it's AWD they're pretty safe handling wise. Pretty damn reliable too.

Of course a lot of this depends on your budget...

I still remember getting my ass handed to me by Subaru WAGONS on GT2, and having no idea at the time, just what made them so quick. Always wanted one of those with a spiced up EJ variant...

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

TRDownShift;1734565 said:
Find a miata.... there a ton of fun and half the time your 0-60 won't be much slower than all then your friends... but wen the first turn hits lol lets just say my buddy with a mustang stopped calling it a "gayata" the first time I schooled him in the twistys :p

Haha, I did the same thing after a friend of mine that was up until that time, a complete Domestic car nutswinger. He asked to drive my car around a bit, I went with him. Whole time I was making fun of him for slowing down for the turns... then we switched places and went the same route. He told me that if we had tried that in a Camaro, we would have planted the car into a wall or two. They really are like go-karts... Damn, now you're making me want to find one again. :p

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My First Car-1995 neon, Second Car- 1986 1/2 supra auto. n/a's are a great way to learn how they react in different situations. Like said in the beginning, earn the power first. Dont make a mistake your more than likely going to regret.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Poodles;1734099 said:

agreed... just drive it stock would be best