Maroon supra paint job

1jzSpecial

Banned
Oct 9, 2008
South Florida
Need some help , I need the color code from that Maroon supra(3rd car from left)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
That's actually a friend of mine's house. I cannot remember what year that car was, but I'd venture to say it's 3H1 "Red Pearl Mica" according to PPG or just "Red Pearl" according to the Toyota sales brochure. It's an 86.5-88 color only IIRC. I can probably find out 100% if you're dying to know.

1jzSpecial

Banned
Oct 9, 2008
South Florida
Vector89T;1155244 said:
That's actually a friend of mine's house. I cannot remember what year that car was, but I'd venture to say it's 3H1 "Red Pearl Mica" according to PPG or just "Red Pearl" according to the Toyota sales brochure. It's an 86.5-88 color only IIRC. I can probably find out 100% if you're dying to know.

yes i would appreciate it

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
I'm almost positive it's 3H1, but I'll look into it. I forgot who owns that car, that must have been a "mini supra meet" at that guy's house. I've put in a call to the guy who owns the blue car in the pic, waiting to hear back.

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I did a google search and 3H2(maroon) came up for a paint code. Someone had a website that had all the mkiii paint codes along with pictures. Might still have it saved on my pc at home. I'll check in an hour or so.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
I think I found what you're referring to: http://www.toyotareference.com/#SU

3H1 is "Red Pearl" and appears to be an 86.5-88 color, 3H2 is "Maroon Metallic" and appears to be an 86.5 only color. I checked out the sales brochures he has on-line there and "Red Pearl" and "Maroon Metallic" show valid for 86.5, while "Red Pearl" is the only color listed for 87, "Maroon Metallic" is not.

As I said before, I believe that car was an '87, but not 100% sure. A guy who was parked there who might know has an e-mail sitting in his inbox. He might chime in, or just respond to me and I'll pass it on.

The Dude;1155491 said:
I did a google search and 3H2(maroon) came up for a paint code. Someone had a website that had all the mkiii paint codes along with pictures. Might still have it saved on my pc at home. I'll check in an hour or so.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Ive got an 86.5 and its that colour. my colour code is 3H1

However, when I went to get some paint made up it came out way too red when they did it...not dark enough.
Maybe those paint people were just stoopid?

1jzSpecial

Banned
Oct 9, 2008
South Florida
Vector89T;1155559 said:
I think I found what you're referring to: http://www.toyotareference.com/#SU

3H1 is "Red Pearl" and appears to be an 86.5-88 color, 3H2 is "Maroon Metallic" and appears to be an 86.5 only color. I checked out the sales brochures he has on-line there and "Red Pearl" and "Maroon Metallic" show valid for 86.5, while "Red Pearl" is the only color listed for 87, "Maroon Metallic" is not.

As I said before, I believe that car was an '87, but not 100% sure. A guy who was parked there who might know has an e-mail sitting in his inbox. He might chime in, or just respond to me and I'll pass it on.

Alright will do

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
1jzSpecial;1155617 said:
According to a visual comparison, Burgundy Pearl (3H8) is the color that matches best on that web site

Except that color was only available in 91.

slidebabyslide;1155635 said:
the car is an 87 because it has the targa.

Good point. Didn't even think about that. Long days at the office seem to suck Supra knowledge out of me. :) I suppose there's still a shot the car could be an '88, but the same 3H1 color code would apply. Still waiting on the owner of the blue car to answer the e-mail (or this post).

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
didnt your US 86.5s come with spoilers? weird... all 86.5s Ive seen here have em, including mine.
anyway as far as I remember the 3H1 colour code was used until 88 before it changed, but hey I could be wrong... as datsrboi said, check then vin plate if you can!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
MA70_Powa;1156129 said:
didnt your US 86.5s come with spoilers? weird... all 86.5s Ive seen here have em, including mine.
anyway as far as I remember the 3H1 colour code was used until 88 before it changed, but hey I could be wrong... as datsrboi said, check then vin plate if you can!

North American Supras didn't come turbo until '87, so all 86.5's are N/A, thus spoiler-less...

myothersupra

Jun 19, 2008
Greater New Orleans Area
Hey y'all...
I'm the guy Vector89T was talking about and here's what I can tell 'ya...

First off...
RazoE;1156325 said:
North American Supras didn't come turbo until '87, so all 86.5's are N/A, thus spoiler-less...

Uh, no...
A fully loaded 86.5 could have everything except turbo, yes that even includes ABS and SuperMonitor but those two options availability just depend on the production date. Early 86.5's could not get ABS or supermonitor but spoiler and targa were always available in the U.S. on an 86.5 afaik.

Second,

I've looked at that pic, thought about whose cars those are and when it was taken, and I have some bad news for you...

Fortunately you asked the right bunch of supra fanatics about one of their pictures... That's a mini "Crescent City Supras" gathering at one of the founding members' house but I don't think you realize how ooooold that picture is... That picture was taken in the fall of 2001 or spring of 2002 at the latest so consider how far back you're asking us to remember...

Unfortunately, here's my conclusion...

That's Bishop's "rare" Teal Targa-Top 92T up front with the factory MkIII 5-spokes on it which became MkIV-TT wheels that he's still using today not long after that picture was taken and those MkIII 5-Spokes have been on my 2-Tone Blue 87 ever since. He bought the MkIV-TT wheels in 2002.

That's my other Blue 87NA auto at the back of the line-up that I sold in march of 2002, which was nicknamed "the solid" so we could more easily tell it apart from "the 2-tone" in conversation since they were both 87 NA Automatics with the exact same "sport package" options other than the asc "port-side" sunroof option the solid has (which you can see open in the pic), and I sold the solid the weekend before we went to the TX2K2 Supra Nationals, again verifying the timeline of this pic...

That's got to be Jeff's 89T with the leather interior next to Bishop's 92T but the sawblades are casting a slight doubt because his car normally had "Fittistar" wheels on it back then, but Noah's 3H4 Medium Pearl Red 89T had cloth interior with Momo wheels back then, and it's definitely not Josh's 3H1 Red Pearl 88T either because Josh wasn't there that day and 3H1 looks almost identical to 3H4 Medium Pearl Red when they were side by side so for some wierd reason that he can't explain either, apparently Jeff had sawblades on his 89T for the pics we took that day. We suspect his Fittistars were getting new tires for TX2K2 at the time but we're not totally sure.

That leaves the car in question...
It's got cloth interior, it's got a rear spoiler, it's got a targa, and with that obvious pre-89 moulding and based on the timeline of the picture it's simply got to be the 88 NA Targa Automatic Supra Jeff and I bought with a thrown rod to swap the engine, hence the hoist you see in the picture.
Problem is... I believe that car was originally Red Pearl 3H1 on the vin tag, although it's been at least 7 years since I've looked and it's sitting with a fubar auto tranny at his mother-in-law's about 40 miles from here so I can't just go look, BUT unfortunately the previous owner repainted that car some other color that's similar but not stock before we bought it. It's a bit darker than stock and it's got a wierd pink-ish purpl-ish color in it that I can only describe as "fingernail polish" pearl or mica as you can see in the pic so there's no way to tell you what the paint code for that paint color really is.

Just to be sure, here's another pic of the car I think that one is, but this pic was taken some time after that with Mustang GT wheels slapped on it as it awaited a new torque converter at that same house... It's from the opposite side and the roof is back on but I really believe it's the car you're asking about.
It looks slightly different because it was taken with a different camera and the sun was at a different angle but I truly believe that's the car you're asking about...

If not then it's Josh Van Landingham's 88 Turbo which was 3H1 Red Pearl and he sold it in 2002 to a total stranger but I suspect that if you check someone else's 3H1 car you'll see it's nowhere near as dark as this.

http://www.crescentcitysupras.com/zukikat/past/88b/DSC00269-88s.jpg
DSC00269-88s.jpg

I'm sure we've got more pics of this car but we'll have to go hunting through the archives...

We've got a Garnet Red 92T, a Burgundy Pearl 91T, and at least two 89 Medium Red Pearl Supras in our group if you wanna see what those look like.