major car issues smoking like a crop duster

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
ok so litterly about 10 min ago i was at the starbucks hangin wiht some friends
we all leave so i jump in the supra ready to have it put a smile on my face like everytime i drive it
started it and it just starts crop dusting the whole parking lot im talking like somebody lite it on fire
so i pop the hood and start checking things oils full no milkshake on the oil cap no coolent puking out the over flow so i rev it up a little bit and its still blowing smoke everywhere including down by the turbo under the hook couldent tell if it was coming out the blow off vavle.. so i got a friend to give my other friend a ride home and said hell no im not leaving this thing here (2miles from the house) so i start driving down the road and bout mile way home and it stops smoking so i get on it a little bit the turbo spooled up fine no issues no loud metal on metal sounds.. nothing i was geting a little bit of (cant remember what they call it when the turbo runs backwards cause of the bov isent opening all the way....) but the car just had a full intercooler piping instaled and a apexi intake im gonna start checking things tomorow wanna know what sould be the first things i souldcheck...
sorry if that dident make any since but im so pissed right now im just venting let me know if that dident make since
thanks
justin
ps im gonna start it in the morning and im gonna take a video of it

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
ok
1. get to starbucks turn the car off turbo timer counts down from 1min 30sec
2. go to leave starbucks about 30 min later start the car and start to drive out of the parking lot
when i look in my rearview its nothing but a cloud of smoke behind me. it was pufing smoke from the tail pipe like no tomorow.
3. pop the hood start checking oil and coolent and for a milkshake under the cap, coolent coming out of the overflow bottle. nothing
4. so i said fuck it im not leaving it here since i was only about 2 miles from the house
5. start driving down the road about 1/2-1 mile away from starbucks the smoke stops.
6. so i pulled out on the main road and got on it just a little bit to make sure the turbo spooled up which it did no weird noises or anything just a little bit of compressor surge.
7. geting dressed and im going outside to start it and see what happens today now that its gotten completly cold then warm again. will take a video of it.

any ideas what it could be? turbo? valve seals? oil control rings?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
what color was the smoke..?

black = fuel
blue = oil
white = coolant

of course if shit's mixing, it won't be so clear cut, but it's a quick way to determine what's going on...

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
white = can also be oil, mine had a blown turbo and it would be on and off thing with white smoke, then one day it blew and every time it boosted it would blow white smoke like no tomorrow.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Last time my car smoke that bad my turbo blew. It was dumping oil from the compressor side until it filled up the intercooler and poured into the engine. It smoked like crazy! Turbo was still boosting though.

Take off the intercooler inlet hose. Make sure you put an oil pan underneath it first. See if anything comes out.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
How long have you had compressor surge? Check your turbo for shaft play. How many miles are on the car/turbo.

Really leaning toward a blown turbo at this point though...

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
ok heres an update today went out to make a little video started the car no smoke just a little bit of blue smoke on start up and then quickly went away...
the car has 140K on it and the turbo had a rebuild tag on it but i droped it and was lost i know it did not have a date on it though... the color of smoke was a mix of blue and white kinda off on thing...
new thing is now its puking oil out of the blow of valve everytime it blows off all over the underside of the hood and the compresser... the surge is been haping for about 4 days since i got the piping and intake on it... dont know what to try to make it go away.
any ideas?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
the vacuum to your BOV is probably not strong enough..

but for it to spew out the BOV, it's probably the turbo bearing...

inspect the IC pipes, especially at the lowest point; oil will probably pour out..

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
ok well as far as the bov it worked on my factory piping on the 3000 pipe fine.... so idk
but i stoped by a friends house today who has a 90 that he bought brand new and has alot of things done to it...
and he seams to think since the factory lower pipe was cracked and had all of the boost poring out of it and i kept hiting fuel cut... that the turbo over worked its self and blew... but my friend was behind me and he seams to think that the it was coolent burning cause it was white and smelt sweet so my ? is if the turbo blows will it let coolent out of it? i dont think it will im just asking.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
if it's coolant, flush your radiator, and drain your oil, if you see any oil in the coolant, or coolant in your oil, it's a BHG...

does coolant push out into your overflow bottle, and then get sucked back in..?

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
i believe tht it is possible with a fully blown turbo to burn coolant in the turbo. my old turbo did this and the car smelled like bhg burning coolant and oil. took the coolant lines off the turbo and no more sweet smell just oil. when i pulled the turbo yesterday there was oil everywhere. even in the exhaust manifold. the person i had paid to do my turbo install used the oil cooler relief vavle to feed the turbo and oil starvation killed the turbo plus i had run turbo injectors directly in a na and that probably caused a little but of gas wash in the cylinders. hopefully the smoking clears up after i install a used turbo. that came from a non smoking car