Main studs (line hone?)

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey everyone. I am in the finishing stages (for the machine shop at least) in getting the block back from the shop.

I had purchased ARP main studs and am excited to use them along with all my other ARP hardware. However, I honestly stumbled upon this by accident. and never heard of it before.

But a lot of other forums and even some on here say to, i believe it's called: line hone/line bore?

What exactly is this, and my question is, does it need to be done?

Little history behind the build (new parts):
-Oem pistons/rods/rings
-clevite bearings
-no boring of cylinders etc.

So it's pretty much going to be a stock rebuild, but I want to use ARP hardware.

Do i have to go about doing this line hone or whatever it is?

And if someone can explain what it is and why i should, or should not have to do it, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you use arp mains the main bores need to be lines honed and should be done on any quality build. It makes sure the bores of the mains are machined to spec when torqued.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
My machine shop checked the main bores with the arp studs installed and found the bore became "egg shaped" A Line bore basically machines the bores until they are back to spec with the ARP studs installed. Like Hvyman just explained.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Ahh very cool, I now understand.

Ok good, i'm going to bring the main caps in this weekend and have them check it out (should've just brought them to begin with ,huh? Heh..)

Thank you so much for the answers everyone, I greatly appreciate it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
generally you want to keep the main bolted and torqued to the block at all times. Also want to make sure there in the same place everytime.