maftpro or lexus afm????

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have a '91 turbo. I have been fighting with fuelcut off and on since I got my mbc installed. My guage is broke so I dont know how much boost I'm pushing, but it WAS at 11 pounds and I have since lowered it considerably. I have installed a new Garrett TO43 turbo, and made some homemade lower i.c. pipe out of 2.5" exhaust pipe. Every time I floor it I hit fuel cut. I keep lowering the mbc a little and still it hits it. I have tried the hks fcd and it didnt seem to help. I removed my afm and drilled out the plug and unscrewed the screw thats inside. That didnt help. My question is this: Will the lexus afm, 550 injectors and a new fuel pump help with the fuel cut? Or, do you suggest the maft pro? I will do either one, but I thought that the lexus afm would help me with more horsepower. Well that and the 550's and larger fuel pump. I already have an safcII, is that like the maftpro? Thanks for the help and sorry this thread is so long.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Grim thanks for the response, but I dont even know what a wideband is. I have a safcii and I thought I could tune my car with that. Apparently I am sadly mistaken. Will the maftpro let me have more horsepower like the lexus afm and 550 injectors? Do I still get the afm with new fuel pump and injectors with the maftpro. Can I buy all of it for a grand. I can hook everything up myself except for the maft pro. I havent done much electrical with my car. I didnt install the safcii. Thanks for your input too 7m-gte

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The MAFT will allow you to push the stock 440cc injectors to right around 400rwhp. It would allow you to push 550cc injectors to about 500rwhp, and 720s would get you to about 650.

Wideband is an O2 sensor that works all the time, as opposed to the narrowband O2 that your car comes with that only works essentially when you are cruising.

If I knew what horsepower range you were aiming for, I could give you a better idea of what equipment you will need to buy to get there.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks everyone. I'm only shooting for about 300rwhp. I'm at 249 now. I really just want my car running without fuel cut. I thought that the lexus afm would help solve that. I will do whatever you think is best since you know better than I. I've heard good things about the maftpro. I just didnt know how hard it would be to learn to use. I consider myself pretty smart when it comes to most things, but I havent had that much experience working on electrical devices on cars. I can do most mechanical jobs though. Thanks again for all the help.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The lexus AFM + 550 injectors would do that no problem.

The MAFT + GM MAF will also do that, but for less coin out of pocket, and with more features.

There are a bunch of other options, however they all cost more money and don't really start to shine until you go for a lot more horsepower - the MAFT Pro, the HKS VPC, or any of the complete standalone products out there.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
GrimJack said:
The lexus AFM + 550 injectors would do that no problem.

The MAFT + GM MAF will also do that, but for less coin out of pocket, and with more features.

There are a bunch of other options, however they all cost more money and don't really start to shine until you go for a lot more horsepower - the MAFT Pro, the HKS VPC, or any of the complete standalone products out there.

Maft whoops all over the lex afm. Use any size injector to 1000cc, maft idle adjustment is 10x better then the "reimer screw", has a basic afm built in, maf sensor flows better then lex afm...

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Boostin4Life said:
so can you run the maft and lexus afm? and get real close to 400hp on stock injectors and fp?

No, the MAF sensor replaces the LEX afm. The maft is basically a translator then takes the signal from the gm type maf sensor and converts it to something the supra ecu can recognize.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
As long as I can get rid of that dang fuel cut I will be happy. Doesnt it also serve as a boost controller? I read the whole thread that GrimJack did on installation. I've got to go back to it and see who sells them. Thanks alot guys for the help.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
suprahero said:
As long as I can get rid of that dang fuel cut I will be happy.
You will still have fuel cut if you still have stock injectors, but it might be at a little higher boost (~14psi). With 550cc's and a upgraded ct-26 the fuel cut would be somewhere over 25psi! Fuel cut means something is wrong or your fuel system can not supply enough fuel.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
The maft-pro has a boost controller? That's awesome. So I take it you have to buy the extra selenoid and stuff or is that all included?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'll have to stay quiet about what you need to run the boost control on the Pro unit, as I really haven't read up on them enough to know. Perhaps one of the guys who is running them will chime in here.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
bigaaron said:
Fuel cut means something is wrong or your fuel system can not supply enough fuel.

i thought fuel cut was when "too much" air enters the AFM, and the ECU knows it's too much air, doesnt think it can supply enough fuel...

i wouldnt necessarily say something's "wrong" with the fuel system... it kindof sounds misleading.

-shaeff

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
shaeff said:
i thought fuel cut was when "too much" air enters the AFM, and the ECU knows it's too much air, doesnt think it can supply enough fuel...

You are correct. :naughty:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
So you are saying that fuel cut is ONLY because of too much intake air? That is not correct. What if he was hitting fuel cut because the fpr was disconnected? What if he was hitting fuel cut because he had a big boost leak? What if it was running too rich because of incorrect afc settings? There is a lot more to it then you are implying. And furthermore, the ecu triggers the fuel cut because it can not supply enough fuel for the air metered going into the engine (injector duty cycle maxed out) , so if he gets a maft he still has the problem and still gets fuel cut.

Last edited: