maftpro is working

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
bigaaron said:
I was thinking the same thing just now, I am coming from the point of warning people not to run a maft to get rid of their fuel cut when their main issue might be that they need a bigger injector. I know that is not always the case.

certainly a good idea....that's why i always recommend a WB and gauges to see what is really going on....

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Now that you guys are done, kissed and made up, I'll tell you what I am going to do tomorrow. I am going to return everything to stock: plug in the O2 sensor, stock boost, no SAFC corrections. I will datalog for a bit, including the Vf voltage. Then I will reset the fuel trims, and unplug the O2 sensor and datalog again without safc corrections. Then I will retune for a simulated "closed loop" and datalog. I will then post some frame shot comaparisons and the .log files for review.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Well I got a little more done on my maft pro install, it is almost ready to start as soon as I get the turbo stuff all finished up. Here is what I did for the air temp sensor and the map sensor vacuum line fitting:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
mixmastermatt said:
Now that you guys are done, kissed and made up, I'll tell you what I am going to do tomorrow. I am going to return everything to stock: plug in the O2 sensor, stock boost, no SAFC corrections. I will datalog for a bit, including the Vf voltage. Then I will reset the fuel trims, and unplug the O2 sensor and datalog again without safc corrections. Then I will retune for a simulated "closed loop" and datalog. I will then post some frame shot comaparisons and the .log files for review.

heh. hold me? ;)

sounds interesting. i'm curious to see what Vf does w/o the O2 sensor....

bigaaron said:
Well I got a little more done on my maft pro install, it is almost ready to start as soon as I get the turbo stuff all finished up. Here is what I did for the air temp sensor and the map sensor vacuum line fitting:

looks good. though i am a bit concerned about heat soak w/the IAT there....def. a clean install though....

IJ. said:
Careful Doc a LOT of the guys go the grope in a group hug here ;)!

hahahahahahahahaha! :aigo: :1zhelp:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
drjonez said:
looks good. though i am a bit concerned about heat soak w/the IAT there....def. a clean install though....

You mean heat soak from the head? I figured that was as far away from the exhaust as it could get, but I don't have an egr valve. I have seen people put them in the 3k pipe but I think that would be worse and I think it should be after the tb, right?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
IJ. said:
Agreed on the IAT Doc!

I have one mounted there and see some mental hot temps on closed throttle, I've stopped using it and use the one pre TB now.

Ok, now I understand. So the air kinda sits in the manifold and heats up right there? Hmmm, well I could plug it and put it somewhere else. Where is the best spot?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
the idea is to put the IAT somewhere "cool"- someplace that isn't going to heat soak easily, someplace that isn't a large piece of metal (like intake manifold, etc.). the best place is in the IC pipe, right before the TB. unfortunately the stock IC pipe routing doesn't make this too feasible....though you could weld a bung in the IC pipe near the fender, that should remain fairly cool.

personally, i have mine in the IC pipe 3" or so from the TB (FFI).

smokey

Jan 15, 2006
Melbourne Australia
for those with custom cooler pipes (non FFI) where would the smartest location be?

would rather hear from people who've done this and havent had heat soak or assorted issues :)

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
Putting the IAT in the pipe just before the throttlebody has been the best place. Another note is the vacuum tap for the MAP sensor. Generally you want it near the throttlebody, the idea is to not pick up pulses from one cylinder, but the smoothest signal from the plenum. I look at getting the vacuum signal from about the same spot as the fuel pressure regulator.

With respect to no-O2 sensor open loop. I actually like tuning this way. Assuming the ECU doesn't react "badly". I run my Stealth and GN like this a lot.

Future versions of the MAFT Pro (and Gen-II) will have a part throttle/cruise/idle closed loop feature using the wideband feedback for just this kind of tuning....

Timing control is being implemented soon as well.

I want to add more flexibility to the max Hz (FCD) option. Just need to find the time.

Later dudes.

B

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
IJ. said:
Aaron: Yep I got some really bizarre Intake temps this build!

It didn't really matter much as I'm not using the temp corrections just bugged me ;)

I understand what you guys are saying, but, itsn't the object of a air temp sensor to get the actual air temp as it goes into the engine? Why measure the temp where it is cooler? I hear the Turbo A engine had a sensor in the same place I put mine.

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
The idea is to know the temperature of the air entering the cylinder. If the Pro had coolant temp data we could model the air temp as a function of coolant temp, air temp, RPM, airflow, temps at startup, change in temps since startup, etc....... This gets wildly complex and different for every combination.

Putting the IAT in the pipe is much better for measuring the temperature of just the air. There are some variances during warmup, but they are minor and much preferred to some complex regression model..... :)

Basically, its been tried both ways and putting it before the throttle works better.

Bob

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
While you're here. Any chance of getting 1JZ support?

I would like to get this on both my 7M and my 1JZ. Damn, especialy with timing control.

Will Gen-II feature direct injector control? That's how the Reblic LC got us around rev limit, it continued firing the injectors after cut off. Unless of course you can figure out a way to get us around rev limit some other route.

Thanks for supporting the MK3 community. I really hope that we've been buying up enough units for it to be paying off well for you.