mafpro boost help

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
hey all-

been working on friend's car trying to get the boost sorted.

he is running a 40mm ext gate w/ a 14psi spring and a t'netics 62-1 turbo.

here are the settings-

tps spool 2.2
rpm spool 3000
tps start 2.7 (80% of full tps voltage)
psi start 14
dc start 8
psi set 18
gain 5

did verify the solenoid was connected correctly.

the problem is trying to increase boost. running without the solenoid it was hitting 12.5-13 psi at full boost.
now running the solenoid it runs about 13-14psi. no matter what i set start psi or target psi it will run the same. only thing i can do that makes a difference is raise dc and gain. once it tried to run 23psi, backed out of that quickly. i can get a psi or so more boost by increasing the dc and gain, but it makes the turbo surge. i set gain at 0 to see if i could get close to target boost that way but no luck.

now that i finally got a handle on tuning the maps and throttle response this decided to kick my butt haha.

just not sure where to go from here and thought id get some thoughts from you guys.

thanks!

dave

ps- i do have some logs if that would be helpful to anyone. even when it would surge the odd thing was it didnt show any oscillations on the boost curve.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i have tried rich's setup and it didnt work either. anytime you raise dc into the double digit numbers it surges really bad.

i had thought maybe since this was an ext gate was the reason it wasnt working the same as rich's.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
no matter what we did it didnt work for crap.

switched to another boost controller and works perfect.

the maftpro is awesome, but the boost control, well, isnt.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yeah i searched around over there some too, but couldnt find any info. i even made a thread and didnt get any responses.

you know im not one to give up quickly on anything. but just could not figure out what was causing the surge. we did try to hook it up to the top port to see if anything changed. and yeah that would be great if you wanted to run 40psi lol.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
dbsupra90 said:
yeah i searched around over there some too, but couldnt find any info. i even made a thread and didnt get any responses.

really? i thought the GN guys were all over it....

dbsupra90 said:
you know im not one to give up quickly on anything. but just could not figure out what was causing the surge. we did try to hook it up to the top port to see if anything changed. and yeah that would be great if you wanted to run 40psi lol.

yeah, for sure...i'm surprised you gave up. it must have been quite bad. ;)

the good news is that i'll be installing it on a local car here in a while, so i can finish off my documentation....

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
doc did u ever install the maftpro on that local car? did u have better luck with the setting in of the boost controller function of the maftpro?

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
hey doc how did it all go with that car this weekend? if i cant get my boost controller setup via the maftpro im gonna just buy a dedicated boost controller and be done.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
drjonez said:
we now have 9" of snow on the ground, i won't be driving any time soon.

what issues are you having? what are your settings?
Maybe I should rephrase my question so its clear.
Have you ever installed the maftpro boost controller option on a car(mkiii) and actually got it dialed in to properly work?

The issues im having is that the boost controller on the maftpro won't go to the boost setting I set it for. In other words it won't go to the psi set number I input into the unit.
And as far as my settings here goes:
TPS Spool=1.200
RPM Spool=3104
TPS Start=2.000
PSI Start=23.0
DC% Start=71.6
PSI Set=26.0
PSI Aux=10.0
Gain=10.0
I had originally set the DC% to 27 but that didn't help. it would never reach the boost pressure number I set in the psi set. I hold -18 on my boost gauge if that helps to know.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
sounds like you need to read this:

http://www.fadingworld.com/Supra/MAFT/Manual 4.80.php

what is your WG set at?

what version of SW are you using?

let's break your settings down:

TPS Spool=1.200
RPM Spool=3104

when TPS is ABOVE 1.2V AND RPM is ABOVE 3104, the MAFT pro closes the solenoid, ensuring fastest possible spool time.

seems like your TPS is low and your RPM is high...then again, you can use these settings to dictate WHEN and HOW your turbo spools up.

TPS Start=2.000
PSI Start=23.0

once TPS has exceeded 2V AND manifold pressure has exceeded 23 PSI, the MAFT pro exits spool mode and goes to start mode

the TPS setting is low and the boost setting is way too high.

DC% Start=71.6

this is the DC the MAFT pro will start using after exiting spool mode.

based on the recommended formula from the manual (1-(base boost/target boost))*100, you should start out w/27 or so.

PSI Set=26.0
PSI Aux=10.0
Gain=10.0

the MAFT pro will try to maintain 26 PSI based on the DC% start setting and adjust the DC with a gain of 10.

nothing wrong here.

one thing that you might want to check- what is your aux mode set to? make sure it's set to 0. if that doesn't work, try setting PSI Aux to the same setting as PSI Set...there's a chance the MAFT pro is reading your Aux V (probably Vf) as an input and trying to hold your PSI Aux setting.

HTH...

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
i have a tial wastegate with a spring set to 19psi.
i have version 4.65
i will try the setting adjustments that u said. i had the psi start at 23 because i read that it should be about 3 psi less than the max psi i want to run. but thanks alot i will try the settings u posted today.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
and another thing i noticed was a max rpm at the very bottom of the boost control setting page. i noticed people set that to "0"