LS400 4-Pot brake upgrade for MK3 adaptable?

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
I did a search on here and found no info about them. I was reading an article on supraforums.com ( http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488437 ). Apparently the LS400 4-Pot aluminum front brakes are a direct bolt on upgrade to replace MK4 N/A front brakes. Does anyone know anymore about these brakes? I know it doesn't take much to adapt the MK4 TT brakes for the MK3, so theoretically if they are bolt on for the MK4 they should take the same modification to fit the MK3. They are aluminum so they weigh about half the weight of the TT calipers and they are much cheaper. Anyone have any insight on these? You would have to use the the LS400 rotors which are 12.50" versus the TT calipers which are 12.75".

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/lexus-ls400/brake_caliper.html

^^As you can see the calipers are much cheaper then the TT calipers.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
I know they are not bolt on, however, if they are bolt on for a MK4 then wouldn't they require the same modifications/kit needed to fit the TT calipers to the MK3? I'm just thinking it may be a much lighter and cheaper alternative to using MKIV TT brakes.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
werewolves182;1006693 said:
I know they are not bolt on, however, if they are bolt on for a MK4 then wouldn't they require the same modifications/kit needed to fit the TT calipers to the MK3? I'm just thinking it may be a much lighter and cheaper alternative to using MKIV TT brakes.

Well it will be like any other caliper. You just need a bracket to put it on. The thing is, for the price you spend on the bracket the all the parts to get it to work you can just buy a big brake kit for the same price or a bit more money. I have already added it up many times and BBK always wins.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
LS400 4-Pot Calipers are about $250 for the pair. Rotors are about $75 for the pair. Brake line fitting can be had fairly cheap, dunno exactly how much. And I know I can make mounting brackets for them for under $50. I'm not saying its the best option but its just another option that I haven't heard too much about around here.

Unfortunately I fit the cheap MK3 owner stereotype, if I had the money for ARZ's kit id be all over it. Im just looking at other options.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
That site says they are ~60 for one so that would be 120 for the pair right? Where did you get 250 for the pair? + pads + rotors + bracket..seems like it would be a little cheaper than $1300

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Thats $59.46 with a core return. If you look under the price it says theres another $64.10 if you don't return another core. So about $125 each.

From that site its $358.01 for both front calipers, front rotors, front pads, and brake hardware. Brackets that I can make. So $400ish for the whole shabang.

Last edited:

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
you can get goodridge brake lines for an MKIV. brake lines arent that expensive; that should be the least of your worries.

also, the 95-02 LS400 calipers are aluminum; a little more than half the weight of the MKIV cast iron/steel calipers. the only catch is that the LS400 calipers dont have a bridge bolt between the 2 halves like FD3S 4-pots do, so LS400 calipers can and will flex more than the MKIV calipers. also, the brake rotors on the LS400's are smaller than MKIV rotors. yes, the LS400 and MKIV calipers interchange. last time i looked on AutoZone's website, MKIV calipers were Cheaper than LS400 since they are made of a "cheaper" metal.

i want to say our single piston sliders have bolt threads on the caliper bracket; no threads on the hub/spindle. then, the MKIV/LS400/FD3S/FC3S and similar 4pot calipers have no the threads on the Hub/spindle; no threads on the calipers. so if we took 4 pots with no threads on the mounting holes and lined them up on our existing spindles, there would be nothing to thread the bolts into...

im trying to come up with a way to retrofit mkiv brakes onto my mk3... but thats assuming i can get ahold of all the parts i need to begin fabrication. right now, its just an idea.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
just not worth it considering the performance of a true BBK...

at least that's my opinion, but arz's kits are HUGE, and are actually LIGHTER than stock components...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
werewolves182;1006646 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what is a torque arm?

torque arm = the point from center to the maximum outter distance of the rotor. You are still confined to the stock rotor torque arm and heat dissipation.

Basically same principle as a putting a pipe on a wrench to take a stuck bolt off. Longer pipe = more torque applied.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
figgie;1007132 said:
torque arm = the point from center to the maximum outter distance of the rotor. You are still confined to the stock rotor torque arm and heat dissipation.

Basically same principle as a putting a pipe on a wrench to take a stuck bolt off. Longer pipe = more torque applied.

so if he goes with the bigger rotors this problem will be addressed, right?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Clip;1007170 said:
so if he goes with the bigger rotors this problem will be addressed, right?

Yes, assuming that the pad is further from the center of the hub.

What is the advantage to having more pistons in a caliper? What good would it be to spend +500 on all sorts of paraphanelia to get more pistons?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Um...

One flaw in the logic. The Mk4 TT brakes are different from the Mk4 NA brakes. The TT brakes won't (for example) fit under the 16" wheels that the Mk4NA got. Therefore it should not be assumed that Mk4NA brakes will mount the same way as Mk4TT brakes. It would therefore be a differnt adaptation to use these on the Mk3.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Dan_Gyoba;1007198 said:
Um...

One flaw in the logic. The Mk4 TT brakes are different from the Mk4 NA brakes. The TT brakes won't (for example) fit under the 16" wheels that the Mk4NA got. Therefore it should not be assumed that Mk4NA brakes will mount the same way as Mk4TT brakes. It would therefore be a differnt adaptation to use these on the Mk3.

Besides swapping to TT for larger wheels and cutting the dust shields, its 100% bolt on for TT brakes on a MKIV n/a.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441030