Lowest Coilovers?

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have always found that rear A70 Coilovers are too long.

At the top of their height adjustment, they are always way higher than even stock struts.

Then when you fully lower the bottom height adjustment until the damper is bottomed out in the housing, you still can't have any pre-load and have the car down quite low.

The only way I've ever found to have a desirable ride height as to lower the collars almost 2 inches down, giving the spring 2 inches of free-play when hanging on a jack, and consequently, the damper rod is already 2 inches into the damper at rest.

There has to be a better way. I thought of moving the bottom bushings to the side of the cases to get the total length the same but shift the assembly further down, but there has to be a better way..

Last edited:

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have my "bottom of spring" rings sitting on the top of the bottom of the bottom bracket thingies so adding more spring won't help.

I need to put the bottom mount on the side so the body can thread right through the bottom like S13 front ya know?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
lewis15498;1321633 said:
Upgrade to full coilovers.

That is what we are talking about.

You can probably use a custom set up where the overall height of the shock is shorter. Unless you really want to mess with the mounting point.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think having my friend who is a certified welder and make cages in spare time move the mounting to the side with a pair of gussets will be quicker/easier than selling what I have and waiting for a full custom set to be fabricated in short stroke format.

Pics to come I guess.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Cool can't want to see this. On the gay blue I had an inch or so of no preload as well. Might have to use this on the next car ;)

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I remember on my last set of coilover, when I jacked up the car the wheel and fender gap was still less then 99% of the supras out there. :biglaugh: I wonder if I ever took a pic of that.

jdm_emperor

Apr 3, 2006
MA
my cusco zeros 2's pretty low and could prolly go another 2-3 inches lower but that'll be stupid dumped low
some poeple here is already hating on my ride height now:icon_bigg
p1321918_1.jpg