Lowering the MkIII, but keeping stock feel

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
Are there any coilover or spring options that will lower our cars, but keep the ride and handling the same? I have D2 coilovers 's now and I miss the stock ride quality.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I prefer the feel of Koni's - you can adjust the rebound to fit your needs/springs. They if you want a stiffer feel, then bilstiens are your fit. I went from stock to JIC flt-2's to koni/tanabe. The latter is much more fitting to a GT car - not nearly as nimble at the JIC's, but the ride quality/ handling compromise is perfect for my needs.

btw (just my opinion) I have never ridden in a car with eibachs where I liked the ride (supra's included). Eibach/koni was the best eibach combo I've ridden, but I like the tanabe springs so much more that its a non-comparison.

my $.02

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
89jdm7m said:
stock = boat ..... :dunno:

Stock = 4x4

Stock w/ blown shocks = Buick 4x4

kthxbye!

Seriously though, I can tell you what not to get if you want a stock feel. H&R springs w/ Koni Yellows are great if you don't have to worry about ground clearance or bumpy roads...but if you do, you'll probably need to see your dentist to have your fillings replaced after the first 5k miles and possibly your downpipe replaced too, especially if you encounter any speed bumps.

I've got Tein HRs now and they're much better. Still not stock, but actually less harsh than the H&Rs -- probably because I can dial in a little more ride height/travel.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I am going to be going with the JDM JZA70 Springs, and KYB GR-2's...I have no idea how it will feel, but people seem to like it...right now I have BLOWN stock TEMS struts, and I must say, it is very scary to drive on te freeway, it bounces so much, you feel like you're either going to flip over, or lose control. I will post my review once I get them installed.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I have the Tein SS's and I find them a bit too stiff for my liking. The only option I can think of would be the Tein Flex which lets you adjust spring pre-load to you could dial in the stiffness you want. They are $$ but are the best. Also the EDFC controller adjusts your shocks from the dash. I have it and it is pimp!

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
I find little difference in ride quality from the Tein flex to a car with koni and eibach's. Quite comfortable for busted up city roads, though stiffer than stock. Not bouncy either.

Johnnieee

Nov 13, 2006
Carleton Place
The D2's are excellent quality, with less unsprung weight than stock components. Definitely they are more oriented for track use, and not anything close to a stock ride.

Stock spring rates for a MKIII are 461 ft/lbs front, and 215 ft/lbs rear. The D2's are shipped with 671 ft/lbs (12 kg/mm) front, and 447 ft/lbs (8 kg/mm) rear. Even with the minimum shock setting, these spring rates are quite punishing for a street car, particularly the rears.

Eibach Pro's are a progressive spring, fronts are 343-628 ft/lbs, and rears are 126-257 ft/lbs. Coupled with Tokico or KYB shocks you can obtain an uprated stock ride, sufficiently stiff to provide much better control, ride and handling.

Looking at the various springs given here, one can see what is a reasonable spring rate for a street MKIII.

Running D2's on my MKIII, I found the rear spring rates too high for street use. The front spring rate was stiff enough to give the car that 'bouncy' characteristic, and not very pleasant on broken up road surfaces even with shocks adjusted to the softest setting possible.

Since I really like the D2's for quality, weight and adjustability, I'm going to swap the rear springs to the front struts, and order a softer spring for the rears, probably the 196 ft/lb (3.5 kg/mm) setting. This will give approximate 'stock' spring rates on the car, and allow me to use more shock adjustment to balance out the ride and handling to my liking for street use.

D2 has replacement springs in stock at their place in Durham NC, I believe at $50 each.

Once I complete the swap, I'll post my findings on the results.

John

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
Yeah, keep me posted John. I'd like to stick w/ the D2's because I've already stuck the money into them. $200 for replacement springs isn't too bad at all.