Lower control arm bushings?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Well, I figured since im rebuilding my turbo engine and doing suspension work I might as well do the frt/rear bushings and upper/lower ball joints, BUT I cant find any bushing for the damn lower control arms ! I tried toyota and they told me they only have full frt/rear , upper/lower and frt or rear sets....not individual bushings. Does anybody know where i can find them at. I can't afford 690 bucks in toyota bushings at the moment and i figured i would do the half now...and do the rest in a few months when its getting near time to put the engine back in.

Where and how much are they?
Can you find universal bushings that could fit ?

Any info if helpful guys and gals. Thanks

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
i just got a set of used lower and upper control arms from a SM member, bushings were good, and hell of a lot cheaper than the entire bushing kit!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
87nasupra said:
Well, I figured since im rebuilding my turbo engine and doing suspension work I might as well do the frt/rear bushings and upper/lower ball joints, BUT I cant find any bushing for the damn lower control arms ! I tried toyota and they told me they only have full frt/rear , upper/lower and frt or rear sets....not individual bushings. Does anybody know where i can find them at. I can't afford 690 bucks in toyota bushings at the moment and i figured i would do the half now...and do the rest in a few months when its getting near time to put the engine back in.

Where and how much are they?
Can you find universal bushings that could fit ?

Any info if helpful guys and gals. Thanks

Uhh... Toyota doesn't sell bushings in sets, only individually. That being said however, while the Supra is one of the few vehicles of the time that actually has replaceable bushings from Toyota, the front lower control arm bushings are only available with the control arms from Toyota.

Name any other bushing in the suspension and you can order it by itself, the front lower arm, no dice, not sure why. Every bushing in the rear suspension is available by itself, and the front upper bushings are available by themselves.

As for the ball joints, the lowers are usually the ones that wear out, part number is 43330-19056, same for both sides lower ball joint.

Upper ball joints are only available with the upper control arm, not seperately.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
There are RK poly bushings available from Suprasport (full set or individually)

Superpro makes poly upper and lower a-arm bushings only

And the Nylon bushing set from the SOGI group buy years ago. They are still listed on this page: http://www.trdracing.com/ (click on supra and scroll to the 3rd product from the bottom). The set is $700 though...

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
ma71supraturbo said:
There used to be RK poly bushings available from Suprasport, Horsepowerfreaks, and 935motorsports, but apparently they're not currently available.

Superpro makes upper a-arm bushings only

So, the only thing left are the Nylon bushing set from the SOGI group buy years ago. They are still listed on this page: http://www.trdracing.com/ (click on supra and scroll to the 3rd product from the bottom). The set is $700 though...

SuprerPro does also make lower control arm bushings too. I personaly have the SuperPro uppers on my car and they are great. Check the Whiteline swaybar Group buy thread for info/ pricing on the bushings.

Randy

Apr 1, 2005
WA
ma71supraturbo said:
There used to be RK poly bushings available from Suprasport, Horsepowerfreaks, and 935motorsports, but apparently they're not currently available.

suprasport still lists them on their site.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I've been cheaking prices for the lower control arms and a guy i knew from toyota told me $243.84 per lower control arm. I don't know if he gave me the hook-up on prices or not. I just need to find a set of bushings , but i cant afford 600-700 bucks for them though. Thats just f*&ked up! Why can't somebody just make them in a set to be affordable, and reliable. I'll pay $250-$300 for a set if somebody can come up with something.

aggie08281

supra junkie
Feb 4, 2006
Houston
dumb question, how do you know if the front bushings are worn out? i think mine might need replacing...i have some bad play, while im driving

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i installed the super pro bushings for the lower and upper front a arms. you can get the set for upper and lower for about $230 or so. installing the upper is not hard. the lower a arms are a bitch. i did not burn the rubber bushing out which is bad for the metal in the a arm. i used a large press to push the cartridge out.

the lower a arms have a solid rubber bushing that is molded inside a metal sleeve and moulded around the center crush tube. the rubber flexes between these two tubes. you have to press out the inner sleeve inside the a arm. then insert the super pro bushings. you do not have to reuse the sleeve with super pro. i also installed grease fittings upper and lower. getting the sleeve out is the hard part.

i have a pic here showing the sleeve cartridge that is removed and the hole in the lower a arm that it came out of. the pic also shows the blue suprer pro bushing. there is also a pic of the upper bushings installed.

see if this link works.

toyheadauto.com has a good price for super pro

http://www.toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/Polyurethane_Bushings.html#SUPRA_MA70_MA71

Attachments

• lower a arm bushless (1).jpg
    lower a arm bushless (1).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
  • bushing & sleeve.jpg
    bushing & sleeve.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 46
  • upper a arm (5).JPG
    upper a arm (5).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 48

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Halsupramk3 said:
i installed the super pro bushings for the lower and upper front a arms. you can get the set for upper and lower for about $230 or so. installing the upper is not hard. the lower a arms are a bitch. i did not burn the rubber bushing out which is bad for the metal in the a arm. i used a large press to push the cartridge out.

the lower a arms have a solid rubber bushing that is molded inside a metal sleeve and moulded around the center crush tube. the rubber flexes between these two tubes. you have to press out the inner sleeve inside the a arm. then insert the super pro bushings. you do not have to reuse the sleeve with super pro. i also installed grease fittings upper and lower. getting the sleeve out is the hard part.

i have a pic here showing the sleeve cartridge that is removed and the hole in the lower a arm that it came out of. the pic also shows the blue suprer pro bushing. there is also a pic of the upper bushings installed.

see if this link works.

toyheadauto.com has a good price for super pro

http://www.toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/Polyurethane_Bushings.html#SUPRA_MA70_MA71

So $125 for the lowers and about 65 for the uppers for the sets correct ? Thats what the site says the price is. I figured i would start with lowers since they are the worst and go from there.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
the lowers are the pain because the cartridge wont come out easily most likely. be sure to lube all rubber and the hle where it goes well. I used super lube and grease fittings. the suppllied grease works well.

clean up your cam bolts and inspect the slots where they go. while i had mine out i pushed the tabs on each side of the slots up into their places and put the cams back in without the arms to check their movement in the slot. i had a couple of burrs that made it difficult for the bolt to rotate from end to end. I also welded some behind the ears and painted them to keep the tabs erect and not so easy to flatten out from the cam force.

i also had my machine shop knurl each end of the crush tube (the center tube from super pro) so it would grip inside the slot like oem.

with these the arm rotates around the bushing instead of the rubber flexing inside the arm.

i bought both at the same time to save shipping. the uppers are easily installed and the oem bushing is not that hard to press out.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
I got my upper set for 68.00 from toyheadauto.com and they have the lower set for 122.00 in poly.
Just installed my uppers last week. You gotta cut the stocker around the rubber and bend the metal on one side and have them pressed out.