Lots of blue smoke/misfire/ turbo?

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
hey guys my 1988 7mgte supra is smokeing lots of blue smoke and is misfiring badly. i was on the highway for a while and the car shut off on me. i was only going like 110 and i pull over popped the hood and there was smoke around the exhaust manifold, i heard a pop of air when i started it back up and it start to sound like it was running on 3 cyclinders. drove it home. there was some oil in the intake manifold and intercooler pipings. so i cleaned it out. checked the spark plugs and there was a bunch of oil on spark plug #2#3#4.changed the spark plugs started it up and the car dosent want to idle. i tried to step on the gas to make it stay and it dose , but it has massive power lost. the car still misfires and blue smoke comes out the exhaust. So i took off the whole intake manifold cleaned it and clean the intercooler piping changed the spark plugs again due to more oil and started it back up. the car Still misfires on cylinder 2 and 3 whatsoever.i usualy dont like coming here for help and i searched it up and some said it could be turbo seals but the car keeps misfiring. this all happened when i changed the oil to 5w30 royal purple.Also there is strong puffs of air coming out the engine oil cap when i open it. plz help i dont know what to do, im thinking about replacing the turbo but i dont know if i should, the old turbo dosent have much play so idk.(sorry for speeding and stuff but this never happened untill the oil changed, i blame the 5w30)

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
Start with compression test then come back with results also make sure you didnt jump time is oil milky at all we can work outward from here

Smoke coming from the oil fill cap could possibly mean you have a malfunctioning pcv system. Check the dipstick and see if there is any smoke chuffing from there. If there is you may have excessive crankcase pressure, or excessive piston ring blow by. Is there smoke on boost? Smoke on over run? Smoke at idle (When it would actually start up) it might be worth checking the timing, I know it sounds silly but it could have possibly jumped a tooth on the cam gear. Slipping a piston ring randomly on 3 cylinders just seems quite odd to me. Were the spark plugs an oily black or a carbon black?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The oil is what will make it misfire on 3 cylinders. One of the Pistons is likely melted.

Blown turbos usually blow the oil straight out the exhaust.

Usually if the timing slips a tooth it doesn't run worth shit. Also won't cause blue smoke.

Also could have hydrolocked.

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
hvyman;2042973 said:
The oil is what will make it misfire on 3 cylinders. One of the Pistons is likely melted.
Lets not rule timing just yet with the misfire always a posibility and he statedbit is running like shit

Blown turbos usually blow the oil straight out the exhaust.

Usually if the timing slips a tooth it doesn't run worth shit. Also won't cause blue smoke.

Also could have hydrolocked.
Lets not rule out timing too quickly he did say it was misfiring and running like shit and if its a blown turbo can cause the smoke out the back just trying to get a good base to start with to make sure everything is in order before he goes any further but i got my money on bad bottom end

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
alright well i started the car again and theres no more blue smoke. but it does still misfire. i took out the spark plug. spark plug #1 had a black dry color on it , number #4 and #5 and #6 were wet and black, #3 was dry and blackish and #2 was clean but oily. i kinda did a compression test but a ghetto one. i got paper towels rolled it up and stuffed it into the spark plug hole untill it was tight. i turned it on and cynlinder 1,3,5 popped right out. but number 2,4,6 were still in. i tried it again and i got the same results. Also if your talking about the pcv system the one connected to the intake right next to the cps, all of the wires came off and only one of them is holding , i believe its the yellow one. i havent checked timing yet but soon will. so no compression on cynlinder 2,4,and 6, what could it be? ill prolly do a compression test again but a real one if you want me to.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
^^^ That could be the problem right there but then again if CPS wires weren't properly attached I'd doubt the car can start, let alone run well. Do you have oil all over the oil gallery? Are there oil leaking onto the sparkplug wire tubes? Are all of your lines and pipes connected correctly?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Even more importantly, if his cps is off one tooth, it will be like he lost compression. I am not sure how that can happen. What can happen is engine timing can jump a tooth much easier, then he will lose compression.

The only thing that would have to do with blowing smoke is the amount he was burning was small enough to not notice until he had his misfire.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
sounds like a blown turbo. the other elements like oil on the fill cap are likely a compounded problem, but the rough idling and smoke out the tail is probably the turbo.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lol.. all through reading this.. Im wondering... "why are people guessing?"...

Im waiting for a real compression test.. and... photos of the top of the engine would really be nice to see what the hell is going on...