Looking for advice:Post HG headaches

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Just came in after working on the car fora bit:
Problems found-
1- Diaphram behind the IAC was not installed, installed and replaced IAC w/ a knwon working one
2- plugs are black, possibly from timing initially being off (replacing w/ new ones)

What I did-
1- Checked pulley/timing, both were right. Stuck long 1/4" drive extension in cyl 1 and watched it go up until it stopped, was right at 0.
2- replaced IAC/diaphragm (helped, MAYBE a little, but deff didn't fix the problem)
3- swapped AFM and ECU - still not fixed.
4- Compression checked engine w/ following results:
1- 155
2- 155
3- 155
4- 150
5- 155
6- 153

TSRM said 148, and all are pretty dang close to each other. All plugs were out, throttle was open, battery charger hooked up.

The car seems to idle much better, but as soon as I put it into gear it starts 'popping' (almost backfire-ish sound) even w/ no load on the engine, deffinitely a night/day difference between in and out of gear. So I checked trans codes and I'm coming up w/ a code 62 (#1 solenoid short circuit or severed wire). It seems to react pretty well in reverse (has power) but falls on it's face in drive (like maybe it's stuck in 2-3-4 gear?).

I'm going now to get something to check the fuel press.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Unhooked the ECT... f*ck all. That fixed it. Which sux donkey balls because now I'm guessing I get to swap transmissions... Don't I?

I wish the n00b would have been a bit more clear on wtf the car was doing, as I may have just swapped in one of my spares.

Oh well. I guess labor rates just went up a lil bit, huh?

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

I'm going to try it w/ the ECT plugged in after I post this, because I want to know for absolute sure that I didn't fix something when I was putting it back together by some weird coincidence.

Also... Fuel pressure jumping from B-FP was 44psi and was holding @ 40lbs after I took the jumper out. So all good to go there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'd probe the wires going into the trans then if they're out of spec drop the pan and bolt some replacement solenoids in if needed.

Fuck swapping the trans if it can be avoided.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
You old folks and your wisdom...

What would us young'ns do w/o it?

Is that as easy unbolting the old and swapping out the old but still working? I know NOTHING about the inner working of automatic transmissions.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah solenoid swap is a 15 min job Matt!

It's not common for the wiring in the pan to fail so I'd be triple checking the external wiring before plugging into the new Noids as they're lightly wound and will pop easily.

Are you getting any other trans codes?

TPS is adjusted correctly?

maybe at this point just plug another ECT in and see if that wakes it up?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
*edit*

Ohm meters ftw!

Sure enough, solenoid one was bad. Checked at the ETC, then checked the trans harness to trans and both showed inf.... so we pulled the pan and sure enough it was bad.

T'was not a 15 min job though IJ, although maybe you've done it a time or two more than me.

If you ever make it to Indiana, I owe you some drinks.

Still CRAZY that something completely unrelated to the engine will make it run like crapp. I learned something today though, and thats all that matters.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mkiiSupraMan18;1496615 said:
*edit*

Ohm meters ftw!

Sure enough, solenoid one was bad. Checked at the ETC, then checked the trans harness to trans and both showed inf.... so we pulled the pan and sure enough it was bad.

T'was not a 15 min job though IJ, although maybe you've done it a time or two more than me.

If you ever make it to Indiana, I owe you some drinks.

Still CRAZY that something completely unrelated to the engine will make it run like crapp. I learned something today though, and thats all that matters.

If I make it there you can buy me a coffee :)

I find the longest part of the job is cleaning up the mess after I pull the pan, apart from that it's pretty quick to do, cordless driver for the pan bolts speeds it up no end and it's a good chance to throw a screen at it while you're in there.