Looking for advice:Post HG headaches

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
OK. So I finished what was supposed to be an exhaust manifold replacement that turned into an all out rebuild for a guy...

Back story from the guy:
91 7mgte Auto
<100k miles
Car not boosting, exhaust leak, MAJOR oil leak(s), does not accelerate for crapp, and diagnosed BHG (152-152-124-154-(oil in last 2 cylinders)200+-200+) BOV stuck open, o2 sensor wires are screwed up, bolts holding the turbo to manifold are finger tight, no coolant in the radiator or otherwise.

So I pull the engine out, take the head off and notice that 3 cyl deff blown and a 4th more than likely.

Anyway, scrape the head (owner didn't want to take head to machine shop in typical Supra owner fashion) and block, sand, wet sand, and clean using brake kleen. Block and head both looked good, imo, I've seen much worse. No spray sealant was used, but the gasket was DEFF not great. I had it laying around (new) and the owner said just to throw it on to save cost (probably selling the car for profit). I used ARP studs torqued to 75lbs and I went in 5 steps (25, 45, 55, 65, 75 IIRC).

Flash forward to test start. Runs, but not great. Kinda "knocked" like engines do when they're about to stall, MOST DEFF NOT a mechanical sound. Adjust timing and it's better (no timing light, went by sound *ended up being ~15btdc*. Went for a short drive and the car felt like it was trying to tow AND drive through a brick wall. No acceleration, only hit MAYBE 2psi boost if you stayed on the gas for quite some time (10 seconds...?). Get it home and check codes, none. I leave because by now it's 3:30am and I'm supposed to be home in 2 hours (1 hr 45 min drive). Car seemed to run and drive fine (other than lack of power) once up to speed no misses, surging, or other funny stuff. Was a little too much ATF int he trans when I got back, maybe an extra quart or so.

Next day, rumptis goes over to look at the car for me to save me a trip, thinking I may have messed something up or overlooked something simple in my lack of sleep dash to get the car finished: he checks timing with a light and sets to where it should be. Drains out old gas, replaces with new, checks for boost leaks, finds none. Still no codes, still idles rough. He removed the exhaust at the elbow to rule out a cat being clogged also, made no difference.

Any ideas on what else to check? I will be going back to take another look at it on thursday and am wondering what else I should check, obviously compression is #1 on my list.

My mom had a cavalier w/ a crapp transmission in it that acted just like this, replace the trans and it was fine. Could the trans be causing the lack of power? Brakes were not dragging that I noticed.

*Cliffs*
Replaced HG on a car. Car still runs and drives like it did before. Rough idle and no power or boost. No codes, timing is correct.

I'll take any advice I can get. Even if it's "this happened to me once and it turned out to be the lug nuts". I'm not above checking anything to find out whats going on.

*edit*
So it's clear, Car was not boosting and accelerating poorly before I got it, so it's probably just something that's carrying over... I have no idea what though. Turbo was tight, no shaft play at all, but you can hear it spool for sure, could it still be 'seized'?

I'll add more as I think of it or questions pop up.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Some I only checked, others double checked. Like I said, this was at 3am, being up for 21 hours and working 12 of them w/ a 2 hr commute down.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
cant think of anything else to check other then timing, compression, all the fluids, belts, hoses, fuel lines etc u say the car was running fine before?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
New, look new, I'll bring mine, tested good, Ill bring mine.

Even if I didn't cause it, I need to fix it so I can make the moniez. :biglaugh:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Good idea. I called my dad w/ a revelation... Maybe I put the cam gears on wrong. Pins are in the middle, but I couldn't remember if i should be able to see the other holes as well, because he couldnt...

Still looking for anything else you can think of!

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
Have you ran a compression test...

Was the head pressure checked ..

Any color smoke coming out of the exhaust

I agree with IJ check the woodriff key see if it is loose or bent the crank is at TDC when the key way is straight up

you could probably feel the notch with out taking it off..

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
mkiiSupraMan18;1493125 said:
Good idea. I called my dad w/ a revelation... Maybe I put the cam gears on wrong. Pins are in the middle, but I couldn't remember if i should be able to see the other holes as well, because he couldnt...

Still looking for anything else you can think of!

Cam gears shouldnt be in the middle, they need to be on the timing marks on the back bracket on the head. Looking at it in front of you the passenger gear timing mark should be slightly to the left and the driver side gear should have the mark slightly to the right ;)

Try that perhaps?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ lol. I know that much, I just meant w/ the adjustments on the cams and gears to make it +/- 1/2 tooth or w/e.

No smoke from exhaust.

head wasn't pressure checked, the owner is trying to maximize profits i assume. That was all his call, not mine. If it was my car, I probably would have just done a full rebuild since I was already in that far.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The 7M dampers have a habit of spinning on their hub giving a false TDC, as I said earlier check this first as EVERYTHING is based on this..... :nono:

If not it's the ashtray.....

I may as well pull something out of my ass and guess ..

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ That's the spirit.

Since the car is so far away I'm just looking for anything anyone could think of instead of posting my findings and then hoping/praying that someone will answer it while I'm still there.

I'm guessing that most of the suggestions have been covered though. I'll probably be back on Thursday or Friday w/ more questions, I'm sure you can't wait.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There is a logical order to diagnosing an issue based on the symptoms....

Jumping all over the place is a waste ot time and money, you may have noticed I'll give advice in a thread then if it's ignored and the more traditional idiot approch is adopted I never post again.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
If its just idle problems can you elaborate on the issue, as in the way it idles.

Does it just idle normal then jump up to 3k+ rpms then go back down?,
Does it just idle in a way as of its going to stall any minute,
etc etc.

If you did explain i appologize for missing but i just seen everyone
giving suggestions when knowing the way it idles could throw out alot of
things.