Looking for a paint shop

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
as the title says, we are looking for a reliable paint shop to repaint this new MK3. I would like to keep it within a 4hr drive of Clarksville TN. So if you have had a car painted recently and can tell nothing but good stories about the shop, as long as it is within that driving window then I am all ears. I won't drive to Wisconsin, or Virginia, or Florida....lol. This car was originally white, and not it is red and black exterior, with white door jambs, engine bay and trunk. Thinking about having the shop not only install a body kit, but delete the rear wiper, and antennae holes, and possibly remove and smooth side the trim along the sides. Please let me know what you got and if you have some pics of the work they did, I would appreciate it greatly. This is going to get done come tax time.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
There are no specialty shops around here. This is a military town, which means everything is way over priced and not worth the money you spent on it. Which is why I am willing to travel.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Try local (or other nearby "local") review-based sites like Kudzu.com or Angie's List. (AL requires a subscription but you can get a free trial subscription if you are crafty).
I have had good luck with Kudzu and similar sites. People are seldom reluctant to share a bad experience they have had so if a place is good, you will know about it beore spending and money to find out.

Another way which sounds weird but is guaranteed to find you quality (if expensive quality) would be to talk to the used car manager at a highline car dealership. That's Highline, not a Ford/Nissan/Honda tier dealer who probably has a collision shop in-house. Find yourself a Lexus or Porsche dealer and ask who does their used car paint and body work because SOMEONE local does and does it WELL.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I know of a reputable painter who has his own paint shop near the Nashville area (but it's outside of Nashville), he has top of the line equipment and facilities (he just upgraded to a I believe $100,000 paint booth and he does a lot of high-end cars), but it will cost you. My quote was around $5,000 (this was with some slight body work). I have his information around the house somewhere, but I'll have to find it later on.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
89gte;1864518 said:
I know of a reputable painter who has his own paint shop near the Nashville area (but it's outside of Nashville), he has top of the line equipment and facilities (he just upgraded to a I believe $100,000 paint booth and he does a lot of high-end cars), but it will cost you. My quote was around $5,000 (this was with some slight body work). I have his information around the house somewhere, but I'll have to find it later on.
Don't worry about getting that info. If he quoted you for $5k with just a little body work, that is insanely high. I got quoted at around $1500 for my paint and all of the supplies through House Of Kolor. That would mean he would be getting $3500 just to pull a few really small dents, paint, and put the body kit on. For $5k this guy had better use whatever paint I tell him, pull every single dent, remove the trim, paint everything, reinstall the trim, wet sand, color buff, and install the kit. Then if I find even the slightest discrepancy he would need to fix it with no questions asked.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I understand that. But I'm not having a Lambo painted here. This is a 22 year old car. I want it done right but there is no way that I will pay $5k. My wife would shoot me....then have me revived then shoot me again.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Yes, it is a lot of money, but if you want the best (as close to a factory paint as you can) I've read it will cost 5k+. On the other end, you could do a Maaco if you're not looking to spend money and last a few years. How much are you looking to spend? You may want to ask around at different paint shops or Maaco. I know there are some guys who are good painters that look for side jobs as well. You could do all the prep work yourself, and find somebody good willing to do it on the side (Don't know about your body kit though if you'r looking to put a kit on), and get quality while saving. Prep is a big part of it. I know somebody who went this route and it turned out good.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Most of that $5k would be prep and bodywork. If you do that yourself, it's far cheaper. Good paint isn't cheap though.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
We intend on doing most of the prep work ourselves. Removing trim, bumpers, lights, anything to help the bodyshop reduce the price. The car will be hauled there so pretty much they will just need to pull dents, prime and paint. Then wet sand and buff.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind that colors are different prices as well. Depends a lot on what color you want done, single or dual stage, etc...

Honestly, national chains are probably where I would go since they have a warranty. If you do a local guy, you won't get that. Not saying that a small shop won't do an amazing job either, just gotta shop around. Also, the places that are certified to do insurance repairs have a reputation to keep, so they're better to go to.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Poodles;1864619 said:
Keep in mind that colors are different prices as well. Depends a lot on what color you want done, single or dual stage, etc...

Honestly, national chains are probably where I would go since they have a warranty. If you do a local guy, you won't get that. Not saying that a small shop won't do an amazing job either, just gotta shop around. Also, the places that are certified to do insurance repairs have a reputation to keep, so they're better to go to.

Damn good point on that one. Main problem with those type of places is the wait time. I know with a paint job there is no such thing as a good job that is rushed. But I don't want to have a month with no car.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Do you have a garage? You'd be surprised at some paint jobs I have seen that was done as a first time thing and in a garage.

I saw a line green 240 on here in a person's picture and it was done by his friend and it wasn't even sanded yet! Trust me, you can do it yourself with patience.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I don't have a garage. Just a carport. Unfortunately, I can't do it in there since the wife's sunroof leaks. So everytime it rains, it HAS to be under there.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
You should get in touch with Jay (SupraHero) and ask him who painted my cay (don't ask why I don't know, long story). He did an great job, and IIRC, he's on the north side of Birmingham, AL, 3 hours away.

I strongly recommend him

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I will get in touch with him this weekend. I have seen your car and they did do a good job. Was it a complete color change? What was the cost on it? Or was it done by the PO?

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
91sup you bought keiths red 2jz from chat!? It blows it had problems but good luck with it. Check out paint and body perfectors off nolensville pike south of nashville. Ive seen their work on a couple of my friends cars and its all positive. Only thing is they dismantle everything they can and then paint it seperately which can be pricey. But if you take it all apart yourself you can save alot. They quoted me on a full re spray for 4.1k. But that was them doing ALL the work. You could easily cut 2k worth of labor out of it. Good luck with everything.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Yeah I got his car. It was a POS at first, but then with some rewiring and help from IBoughtASupra we got it running nice and strong now. Whoever did the wiring on this car was blind as shit! Not to mention they used nothing but red wire and didn't tidy anything up. THey just ran wires where they pleased and didn't even splice them in properly. Even if I have to buy a harness from Tweaked, it is still worth what I paid for it.