Logging RPM?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I am sick of going to dyno everytime I need to re-tune. For the cost of a few visits I could buy my own wideband and learn to tune myself. I know most of the widebands have extra data-logging inputs so I can track other things.

It seems to do any non-real time tuning I'd need to know my RPM and A/F. I know units like the LC-1 will input RPM, but they also sell kits to convert RPM into an analog input. Is there any widebands that will let me log right off the cars RPM signal? What is the car's RPM signal anyway, is it 0-5v or does it rely off frequency like the AFM output?

If not, are there any data-loggers that will log a wideband signal, and a factory RPM signal? Also I have pretty good electrical knowledge, is there a way I could convert the car's RPM into a signal the LC-1 or other logger would recognize? Thanks much.

EDIT: The MAP ECU will log everything right? Will it accept input from a wideband sensor, or does it need to have something like the LM-1 to interface with? I wouldn't mind spending a little more for something that will log and act as a piggyback. I guess I could find out by searching :D.

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Zeitronix wideband will let you log that.

MAFT Pro will log everything plus input from a wideband, plus let you tune your A/F ratio, control boost, and damn near make you coffee in the morning.

DrJonez is the resident expert.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm running a Zeitronix ZT-2 + MAFT-Pro. For the cost of a single 'dyno tune' (about $500-$700 in my area) I have access to basically every signal from my TCCS, and can alter them all (timing, fuel, airflow, etc)

If you're just looking for a WB02 right now, I *HIGHLY* recommend Zeitronix. You can actually get their 3.5bar MAP sensor (and use it with the MAFT-Pro ;)) and log rpm/afr/boost all at once.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Thanks alot, the Zeitronix looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't realize it was so powerful since its fairly cheap. The software interface looks really good and it has tons of user inputs. The little things add up quick though (pressure sensor, lcd etc.)

Bishop, that's cool to know the Greddy unit does all that. I never would have guessed. That may turn out to be more along the line of what I'll need in the end.

I'm researching all my options still. For the cost of some of this stuff I could have installed Megasquirt, or some other management system and made my own wideband controller.

Doward said:
For the cost of a single 'dyno tune' (about $500-$700 in my area).
Wow I'm complaining about $85/hr. I can't imagine paying $500 for any amount of dyno time.