Limequat's 4.2l I6 Swap

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
mtriples;1934542 said:
Any new updates, man? Really curious to see how it spools once you get everything dialed in.
Not really. Just got a new aluminum oil pan fabbed. My steel piece is leaking real bad.

I'm probably another month from having mine back together and running...decided to hold off and wait until I could get a 3.4L stroker since we last talked. I dropped the Fleece vane controller, the control map only has breakpoints up to 3600 rpm...I'd tried for 2 years to get them to rescale it for me, to no avail. Customer service was a little lacking, too. On a plus note, it looks like I'll be able to control the turbo directly with ProEFI though, if my understanding of the solenoid control is accurate. Any chance you'd be willing to share your control scheme in terms of current draw or target PWM frequency?

PM me on that one ;)

Something you might be interested in, it's been suggested on some of the powerstroke forums that certain GT40 backplates may be able to bolt on to the 3788va CHRA...in case you find you want a little more flow out of it.

-Matt

Interesting that you mentioned this, I was just looking into it. I wasn't able to find any good info. Seems like I should be able to bolt a gt3788va compressor to a gt3782va turbo (ford version) to get a more conventional package. I read somewhere that it doesn't work, but I'd like to try anyway.

mtriples

May 25, 2010
Alberta
limequat;1935666 said:
Interesting that you mentioned this, I was just looking into it. I wasn't able to find any good info. Seems like I should be able to bolt a gt3788va compressor to a gt3782va turbo (ford version) to get a more conventional package. I read somewhere that it doesn't work, but I'd like to try anyway.

From what I can gather, and I might be wrong, but the turbine housing and CHRA is identical between the 3782va and 88va, since the 82 is the stock turbo and the 88 is a direct bolt-on upgrade. If my info is correct (the numbers might be wrong), they moved from a 9 blade turbine wheel to a 10 blade (which is why it whistles louder than than the 3782VA) with both a 72.5/66.5 ind/exducer, and bumped the compressor up from 61/82 ind/exd to 63.5/88 ind/exducer. At the same time, I also heard that the 88 had a better quality journal bearing...apparently they were a source of failure in the stock 82. Don't know if I'd want to upgrade the 82 to a larger compressor for that reason...if the bearing is having issues, the last thing you'd want is more load.

I know I found a thread about someone who mounted a gt4088 compressor onto the 3788VA, but IIRC, they had to do some minor clearancing on the 4088 backplate. I'll see if I can find that again for you.

speeed_dmonx

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
YEAH COME ON LIMEQUAT....I am EXCITED ALSO....I have BOTH 4.2 ATLAS and 4.0 LEXUS and I am trying to decide which would be easier and a better overall choice.....LOL..

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
speeed_dmonx;1954081 said:
YEAH COME ON LIMEQUAT....I am EXCITED ALSO....I have BOTH 4.2 ATLAS and 4.0 LEXUS and I am trying to decide which would be easier and a better overall choice.....LOL..

The lexus will definitely be easier, but no where near as cool :)

Supra is undergoing a slow-motion oil pan change.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
So a litany of errors resulted in me basically giving the cold shoulder to the Supra for the past 4 months or so. I had planned on swapping my pan prior to November so that I could still roll the car into the garage to work during the winter. I was slow and winter was fast, and the poor thing was covered in snow -jack stands and all- before I could work up the drive to button her up.

Things have now warmed up enough that I can at least see that there is a Supra underneath the snow, so I decided to assess.

Oil pan replacement means dropping the crossmember and disassembling much of the front suspension.

The suspension is mostly back together. Need the impact gun to finish the sway bar links and I'm missing a nut here and there.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Here's the new pan:

This is NOT limequat fab skills, this one was farmed out. Once again, the bolt fairies were active over the winter and made off with some my hardware.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Damned bolt fairies get me all the time, too. The pan looks nice.

It also looks like the stock brace that goes across the back of the crossmember won't fit there anymore. Any plans to replace it?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
miekedmr;1998664 said:
Damned bolt fairies get me all the time, too. The pan looks nice.

It also looks like the stock brace that goes across the back of the crossmember won't fit there anymore. Any plans to replace it?

I don't think I've tried it, but yes definitely need to replace! Maybe with something that will double as a skid plate. Keep me from high-centering on my nice welded aluminum sump.