Limequat's 4.2l I6 Swap

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Just read the first few and last few posts and, from the small bit that I've seen, this is an awesome build.

I don't know what kind of engine mounts you have, but it looks like the turbo is gonna hit the strut tower when driving. Just throwing it out there, but the engine in the BMW 135/335 is twin turbo'd, one of the reasons being for packaging. Two smaller ones that, together, flow what you need might need less room between the engine and strut tower.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
1986&1/2poopra;1632517 said:
wow I want to do an na-t swap in my 86.5 but that chevy 3j is looking good.

nice work

Do it!

A. Jay;1632521 said:
Just read the first few and last few posts and, from the small bit that I've seen, this is an awesome build.

I don't know what kind of engine mounts you have, but it looks like the turbo is gonna hit the strut tower when driving. Just throwing it out there, but the engine in the BMW 135/335 is twin turbo'd, one of the reasons being for packaging. Two smaller ones that, together, flow what you need might need less room between the engine and strut tower.

Thanks. Considered twins, but didn't want the hassle of 2x the compexity. Plus I love the idea of a VNT turbo, and you can't beat the price. Though it's technically a GT37, it has the compressor wheel of a GT40. Good luck finding either of those in a junk yard!

The strut bar will be a problem (did they come stock, I don't have one?). Then again, strut bars have been shown to be less than effective on SLA suspensions.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
limequat;1632572 said:
Do it!

Thanks. Considered twins, but didn't want the hassle of 2x the compexity. Plus I love the idea of a VNT turbo, and you can't beat the price. Though it's technically a GT37, it has the compressor wheel of a GT40. Good luck finding either of those in a junk yard!

The strut bar will be a problem (did they come stock, I don't have one?). Then again, strut bars have been shown to be less than effective on SLA suspensions.

VNT?! Yea, fuck my idea lol.

No, our cars don't come with strut tower bars, and don't put one on: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?122586-Rear-Strut-Bar-Question

I finished skimming through your thread, I just have one complaint: some of your vids don't play! Lol, keep up the good work.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
A. Jay;1632616 said:
VNT?! Yea, fuck my idea lol.

No, our cars don't come with strut tower bars, and don't put one on: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?122586-Rear-Strut-Bar-Question

I finished skimming through your thread, I just have one complaint: some of your vids don't play! Lol, keep up the good work.

OK, just realized you said strut tower not stut bar. I have a good centimeter clearance. I hope that's enough. If not, it get's the BFH.
I don't know what's up with the videos. I blame photobucket. They worked for a while then they disappeared.
Thanks for the comments!

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Haven't posted for a while, but it's not for not working on the beast. A lot of fabrication at this point, so the going is slow. Here's what I've been working on:

p1652022_1.jpg

From left to right they're the downpipe stub and 2 up-pipes. Welding is mostly done need to do some finish grinding and sanding. Hoping to rig up a pressure tester tomorrow to check weld integrity. Then on to get ceramic coated. Here they are getting test fit, please excuse my flux core welding skills:

p1652022_2.jpg

The above is a good view of my stock manifold, chopped, flanged and ceramic coated by Tom at Stovebolt.

p1652022_3.jpg

p1652022_4.jpg

p1652022_5.jpg

After I get these banged out, I'll start on oil and water lines to the turbo.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
winsauce;1652037 said:
i believe i just sh!t my pants... good idea to use the cast header for turbo manifold

Mostly went that way because I'm cheap, should work good though. Exhaust is divided all the way into the turbine housing and equal length!

TweeT91109;1652040 said:
Its so pretty :)

winsauce's sh!t? lol

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Swwweeeeeet! I thought I'd subscribed to this, but it managed to disappear on me. The 4.2 looks like it belongs there, and the effect is greater the more I look at it. And that turbo manifold looks to be coming along nicely, too...couple questions, though.

What about wastegate integration? Do you even need to run a wastegate on a VGT wheel, or can you control boost pressure reliably entirely by modifying the geometry? Also, have you thought about bracing the turbo to the manifold or block? That snail looks truly massive, and thermal expansion in piping can be a cruel mistress, especially with heavy turbos.

3jz indeed...I really want to see some fly-by videos of this thing now.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
winsauce;1652077 said:
i challenge you sir to a burnout contest...

You're on! In a few months. Hopefully. Maybe.

Bleakvoid;1652151 said:
Swwweeeeeet! I thought I'd subscribed to this, but it managed to disappear on me. The 4.2 looks like it belongs there, and the effect is greater the more I look at it. And that turbo manifold looks to be coming along nicely, too...couple questions, though.

What about wastegate integration? Do you even need to run a wastegate on a VGT wheel, or can you control boost pressure reliably entirely by modifying the geometry? Also, have you thought about bracing the turbo to the manifold or block? That snail looks truly massive, and thermal expansion in piping can be a cruel mistress, especially with heavy turbos.

3jz indeed...I really want to see some fly-by videos of this thing now.

Thanks for the comments. No wastegate is needed with the VNT...just a complex microprocessor based control system, lol. The plan is to use a Megasquirt to take in throttle, engine speed, and actuator position, and spit out desired nozzle position. We'll see.

The turbo is entirely supported by a bracket from the head to the block, so theoretically there'll be no additional stress on my up-pipes. You can see it in the pics above.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
vIetDrIfTeR;1652280 said:
dudee why cant i watch da video is this thing on youtrube

Sorry bud, something got screwed up in Photobucket and I lost most of my videos. I'm in process of locating/uploading the rest.

Here's the first two when I first got it running:

Working out the cooling system:

First time out of the driveway!

Last edited:

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I see the braces now...radsauce. I'm kind of scared to see what this'll make for power with that giant turbo hooked up to it now. What kind of exhaust are you thinking of running? Power goals?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
vIetDrIfTeR;1652543 said:
thanks noww for some sideways videos

Yep, stay tuned! Hope to have it on the road in the spring.

Bleakvoid;1652560 said:
I see the braces now...radsauce. I'm kind of scared to see what this'll make for power with that giant turbo hooked up to it now. What kind of exhaust are you thinking of running? Power goals?

I already had a 3" turbo back and magnaflow with the 7M. For this, I'm just lopping of a chunk of the downpipe and splicing in the stub I posted above. I had considered 3.5" or even 4", but the turbo outlet is 3". Might as well keep it simple.

I'm hoping to hit 400 hp on low boost. That should be plenty entertaining, with the torque of this thing, but I'd like to see the big numbers too. Maybe after that I'll turn it up and see what breaks first.