Lightweight flywheel worth it?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I need to upgrade my clutch and I'm debating whether or not to replace the flywheel with a lightweight one while I'm in there.

Anyone go to a LW flywheel and loved it/hated it?
How much of a difference did you notice? throttle response? acceleration? pedal feel? Is it worth it or is the stock flywheel plenty efficient? give me your input.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Response should get way better, your removing rotating mass from the motor.

Ive heard good things about fidanza, you could also get the stock one shaved. I heard its about 26lbs stock and can be shaved to 20lbs.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yea my friends 240 became much more responsive after he switched flywheels. The one I'm looking at is 13 pounds if i remember, so alot less rotating mass. I'm willing to lose some "street driveability"

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
All the lightweight flywheels I've driven are alittle harder to get used to with an aftermarket clutch, nothing that hard but it is alittle jumpier.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
Is it true that a LW flywheel would add some lag on the engine's response and become more rev happy based on the fact that as it is of a lesser mass it will have less inertia? BTW I'm not a hater, I actually just got a new chro-moly LW flywheel but I'm just wondering if the above is a fact.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yeah it increases the response. Some people complain about it being almost too responsive which makes it a pain to drive sometimes (stop and go). I'd never driven a Supra with a lightweight flywheel so I was just looking to see if anyone had these complaints, or loved it.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
i have the ebay 11lb chrome molly steel flywheel and spec stage 3 , its a great combination, better acceleration, and paid $200 for flywheel + ship new here is a pic of the stuff that I installed good luck

Attachments

• goodies.JPG
    goodies.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 84

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
it also depends on what disc you run. i had the act pp and hpf 6 puck bronze disk with the fidanza fw. it was a quick engagement but was streetable. it is very responsive and revd quick. It took some getting used to starting up. some people cant drive it.

the problem was that the aluminum fw could not absorb heat as well as the heavy oem fw. the steel insert got heat spots scattered across it. i havent put 3000 miles on it yet and had very few hard lauches. i may have been slipping it too much on start up. when using another disc other than a bronze or feramic the spotting would not be a problem with the aluminum fw.

i will be going back to the stocker and eventually getting a aluminum driveshaft to help revs. this way the steel fw can absorb the heat better and not cause the spotted heat spots the aluminum one has. the heavy stocker retains rotating energy better for start up which is why it revs slower.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
the flywheel is an XTD chrome molly steel not alminum....its f@!kin insane the response and that u get from upgrading the clutch to the spec stage 3 , flywheel, redline mt90 synthetic oil at the same time .....its been working great takes time to get used to the clutch . It has a very quick enguagement , i have 6 months with mine and still no problem. i paid $440 for the spec 3, about $225 shipped for flywheel, and $10 a quart for the Redline fluids. any more info im still here ask away...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Just bought the clutch. 450 shipped with the 12lb/ steel flywheel. hopefully I can get this thing in around Christmas.

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
I am running a Fidanza Flywheel in my 89'. I love it, it revs a lot faster and seems a bit smoother. I am running an RPS 3200lb PP, and a RPS 6-puck clutch. Had this same clutch on the stock flywheel. It seems to grab harder and quicker now, takes some getting used to, but it has good streetability. I would reccomend it to anyone who is replacing their clutch, and has the money to do it.