Lets talk Weight Reduction

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
spiller;1850898 said:
If we all wanted to race 240sx's we'd be a planet full of sick dorifto fools.

who said you can't have both....

the point was the grand tourer (supra) isn't the best starting point

shaving weight starts to cost monies quickly once the usual suspects are taken care of.. interior, HVAC, ABS, SRS, DTRL's, extra copper wires, moduales/controllers, swiss cheese-ing other parts....
^fibreglass parts, lexan parts, racing bucket, aluminum parts, titanium parts...

UNLESS you live in Israel (occupied Palestine - depending on what globe you have), then who really wants a lexan windshield...

and then add a 100lbs or so of DOM tubing...

post script ; don't forget the counter weights on the rear subframe there is at least 2 lbs there...

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
#04;1851192 said:
who said you can't have both....

the point was the grand tourer (supra) isn't the best starting point

Your point was that the supra isnt the best starting point. Unfortunately though, you've missed the point of this thread entirely :aigo:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^take a pill, even in my first post I made vague reference to track car on this site with fibreglass doors - a significant weight mod...

the OP could have used the search function, and that would have avoided you getting your panties in a bunch because someone said 240sx...

Jon Edwards

May 12, 2012
mt home idaho
I once though about swiss cheezing everything at one point. Just to remove all the extra weight. But then I realized, if I wanted a car that is tiny as hell with a turbo, I would 1jz swap a rotary rx-7 (and yes, its been done)...I want a nice Touring car. Its meant for speed and CRUISING across country in comfort. No way would I ever do all this to make weight losses. Plus the GVWR on my 90 is 4400 lbs. Plus, there are too many audi/vw/bmw people in idaho who say their little pain in the butt to work on cars are awesome cuz of the frames heavy build) I love my mkiii cuz I found a nice car for a good price, and it is adaptable to anything. Including weight loss, I just wouldnt take it this far.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I'd bet the Audi/BMW/Mercedes camp are just as split on the topic as we are. It's a tough choice to pull out luxury options for the sake of performance. Sometimes you end up with a car that's so beat up or missing so much that it's not economically viable to put it back to good stock condition inside, and it only makes sense to strip it either completely or partially.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Someone needs to make fb doors that have holes for everything. You could save prolly 70lbs even with everything there.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Jon Edwards;1851412 said:
Plus the GVWR on my 90 is 4400 lbs.

As long as you know the GVWR on a vehicle placard is not the vehicle's weight. That is the curb weight plus what the car can carry.

Last edited:

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
lol relax guys relax the hatred! we all own supras here we all have the same blood. But oh god yeah im going to get a 240 at one point in my life cuz they are great but for now style is apart of it and the 240sx is the civic of the drift world and mk3 supras need a name and need to be seen more often in the drifting community so i want to go threw with it and its really not that hard to drift a mk3 na turbo that might be diffrent due to the extra 400 lbs but its really not that bad

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
hvyman;1851535 said:
Someone needs to make fb doors that have holes for everything. You could save prolly 70lbs even with everything there.

Depending on how the FG parts for my Z come out I might start making some for the Supra. That will be down the road, however.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Dude the supra is the flagship toyota. Drive on the highway at 65 normal mode and its a beautiful cadillac tank, sport mode its a handlin' beast. For weight reduction get a rx-7 and you're done. I like the feel of weight and every luxury right to the posi rear, pwr windows etc is what I crave. This car is finest sports car with all ammenties toyota had to offer.

Best weight reduction is no fat chicks and more boost with bigger rear tires and 1/2 tank of gas.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SideWinderGX;1851364 said:
#04: Any idea who has/where to get fiberglass doors? :D CF ones are like $2k.

Cervinis is a large dealer for late model and others. However, being a very low volume car, I doubt they build in advance like they do a foxbody Mustang.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I'm personally glad someone made another weight reduction thread. There isn't too many of the topics floating around and the existing ones are usually filled with the same garbage "sell your supra, buy a 240 or RX7."

At some point, I'd be interested in seeing how much I can save total by eliminating A/C components, ABS, window washer fluid, deleting cats, using a t4 setup (opposed to factory twins), lighter battery relocated to rear, removing the rear seats, sourcing lighter front seats, and using a set of RPF1s.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
SupraMedical68;1851976 said:
I'm personally glad someone made another weight reduction thread. There isn't too many of the topics floating around and the existing ones are usually filled with the same garbage "sell your supra, buy a 240 or RX7."

At some point, I'd be interested in seeing how much I can save total by eliminating A/C components, ABS, window washer fluid, deleting cats, using a t4 setup (opposed to factory twins), lighter battery relocated to rear, removing the rear seats, sourcing lighter front seats, and using a set of RPF1s.

Luckily, someone has taken the guess work out of your question!

A/C components: 39 lbs
ABS unit: 10 lbs
Window washer fluid: ~6lbs (if it's full) + maybe 1 lb for the container and hoses
Catalytic converters: 23 lbs (then add the weight of the replacement test pipes)
T4: This would likely be significant. Maybe 50-100 lbs with non-cast manifold and downpipe
Battery: ~30 lbs if you go from a big battery to an Oddessy or Braille (sp?)
Rear seats: 24 lbs
Front Seats: 60 lbs
Wheels: ~30 lbs

Altogether that's ~220 lbs plus the T4. That should bring the car down to ~3100-3200 lbs. (for reference, a 240 weighs 2700 fully equipped, Second gen rx7 is ~2700 lbs and third gen is ~2800 again fully equipped, a Miata is even lighter at 2100-2400 lbs)

So lose another 500 lbs and you're on par with a perfectly stock, fully equipped 240 or rx7.