Lets talk Weight Reduction

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
hvyman;1851535 said:
Someone needs to make fb doors that have holes for everything. You could save prolly 70lbs even with everything there.

That would be cool, but it would only benefit the guys running cages. I wouldn't run fiberglass doors on a car that has crash bars in the stock doors unless there was a cage there to replace the lost crash protection.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
SupraMedical68;1851976 said:
I'm personally glad someone made another weight reduction thread. There isn't too many of the topics floating around and the existing ones are usually filled with the same garbage "sell your supra, buy a 240 or RX7."

Wait... are you being sarcastic or....?

I swear this topic pops up monthly and it's almost the same discussion every time. Most people favor dropping weight, some favor it as long as it means no loss of luxury, and some pop in just to say every one else is crazy. I could set me watch by it (if I wore one).

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I've replaced the doors and fenders on my car, and I don't think that there's a lot of weight savings to fenders. They're pretty lightweight already, even in steel, but there's got to be SOMEPLACE to shave weight from the doors without giving up crash protection. They's SO heavy.

Probably the door skin isn't where the weight is.

Part of the structure is probably redundant for a hard-top car. There's a LOT of bracing in there for targa top cars, when they have that extra pin installed. Some of that can probably be completely discarded.

A side impact bar would be a good thing to have, so a steel superstructure on a "lightweight" door would be a minimum for me. I'd probably make such a door with a "V" structure running from each hinge to the striker area of the door in round tube steel. Making the rest in FRP or CF could still result in some significant weight savings, and could even have some extra touches for speaker enclosures or something. It's an idea that I'd been playing with, anyway.

I know that there's some weight to the reinforcement structure of the hood, which FRP or CF can help with, though I've never been overly fond of hood pins, which are a really good idea with CF at the very least.

Most of the places that I'd be most concerned with weight savings are up high, and to the front of the car, so that should really make the hood a higher priority item.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
^ Correct!

Also :
1) CF hood
2) CF targa (if you have one)
3) Aftermarket Single turbo (saves a lot vs twin turbos),no washer fluid and lightweight battery.If you don't care about summer,lose the A/C components.
4) Lightweight wheels
5) From the interior only the front seats worth to be replaced and take out the rear seats. Also an aftermarket steering wheel will help vs SRS system.
6) From the rear,get all the stuff out (spare wheel,jack,tools,subwoofer,etc.,),and if you got the $ get a CF hatch and a plastic fuel tank and keep it 1/2 full.

Should be good for 500-600 lbs...Without destroying the car LOL. Not bad.
And you lost weight on perfect spots,like front middle and on top.

Hipsi7mgte

Apr 22, 2012
Indy
The doors are only heavy if you got noodle arms. Supra doors are actually pretty light compared to F-body's and rustangs

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
destrux;1852053 said:
Wait... are you being sarcastic or....?

I swear this topic pops up monthly and it's almost the same discussion every time. Most people favor dropping weight, some favor it as long as it means no loss of luxury, and some pop in just to say every one else is crazy. I could set me watch by it (if I wore one).

I'd much rather see this topic pop up monthly or every once in awhile opposed to the usual topics that flood SM daily, "OMG why is my oil milky and the car is overheating, how much will it cost to get a 1JZ swap?"

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mytmk3;1853598 said:
I weighed mine the other day approx 3058lbs minus me and the fuel
Is gravity different down there, or are you missing a LOT of stuff in your car? :p

Details?

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
31e0d99b-1701-718f.jpg

There's a bit missing :) wheels still weigh alot though and there is more to remove

No sound deadening rear seats or carpet, heater, rear interior, battery in boot (still a large one) hard top, abs removed

Fiberglass- front bumper, guards, stout hood,

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Yes it was mentioned once but removing bolts that aren't being used can save a good amount. Like rear seatbelt bolts and any bolts from deleted things like abs. Zip ties are lighter than bolts and can actually be used in some locations. And the nuts that are welded on to the body for the bolts to thread into can all be ground off. You can easily reach the point in weight reduction work where you can't go back to stock. At least not without a lot of extra work to re make mounting tabs and all. :D

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jdmfreak;1854926 said:
Does the spare tire really weigh 48 lbs?
Take a wheel/tire combo down to a place like the UPS store, stick it on their scale. Be willing to bet the setup I run weighs close to 60lbs for one wheel and tire. ;)

drzaeis

Mar 9, 2011
Oakland
For the record. I race a 1987 Supra Hardtop with a 1jzGTE. With cage, fuel and driver we're just under 3k pounds. This was with the rear glass intact and no fuel cell. We're looking into aluminum bumpers, going to replace rear glass with lexan and we just went with some 99 Mustang GT 17x 8 wheels which are way lighter than the stock 16" Sawblades. I'm guessing we'll be under 2800 for this upcoming race.