Lets discuss speakers! :]

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Ive only heard good things about jensen's 6x9's that are out now, and there only 40 bucks at circuit city.

Should i opt out and spend the 150 for infinity kappa's?

Or save the extra money and put it into a sub/amp combo?

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
6x9's in a decent box will give you some good punch, but you're better off getting 5-1/4" to 6-1/2" speakers up front and in the rears if you can make room... and add a dedicated subwoofer seperately. Trying to squeeze a decent amount of bass out of any 6x9" driver (especially with the windows down or the targa roof off) is asking a lot.

I have 8" coaxial speakers in the backseat of my car in custom speaker pods (same cone size roughly as a 6x9 speaker), and 5-1/4" speakers up front. While it sounds awesome it definately loses volume with the targa off, and it distorts if i try to push it to reproduce more bass.

Plus I never really liked the idea of running 6x9's in a pair of boxes in the hatch, I think it looks cheesy. If you can do a clean install of the 6x9's somewhere it should sound and look good.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
born2drv said:
6x9's in a decent box will give you some good punch, but you're better off getting 5-1/4" to 6-1/2" speakers up front and in the rears if you can make room... and add a dedicated subwoofer seperately. Trying to squeeze a decent amount of bass out of any 6x9" driver (especially with the windows down or the targa roof off) is asking a lot.

I have 8" coaxial speakers in the backseat of my car in custom speaker pods (same cone size roughly as a 6x9 speaker), and 5-1/4" speakers up front. While it sounds awesome it definately loses volume with the targa off, and it distorts if i try to push it to reproduce more bass.

Plus I never really liked the idea of running 6x9's in a pair of boxes in the hatch, I think it looks cheesy. If you can do a clean install of the 6x9's somewhere it should sound and look good.

These are going in my Daily driver ;) Nissan maxima

Ive heard good things about rockaford fosgates as well!

xrated89

Sep 12, 2005
Canada
mtx 6x9's are great they are ugly but sound good not cheap tho you could always try the jensens anything is better then paper cone stock speakers : )

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
What sound are you going for? Picking speakers is like build for HP, you have to have a goul in mind or you you'll have a sad out come, i.e. blown speakers or that feeling you get will messing with the e.q. when you can't get your system to sound like you want it. Look at what materials the speakers are made of, the type of tweeter if any, is it a mid range high or low end. Do you like high pitch sounds or more mellow, etc.,etc. It gets very detailed.

Are far as 6X9's Ive had clarion 2-way w/ a dome tweeter which gave me a nice mellow tone i.e. jazz which I like because of more pronounced bass. I've also had Alpine 3-ways which was great because the tweeter wasn't so big that my ears rang when I got out of the car but just enough to round out the sound of the music but would have fared better with an external amp. The deck I used fed too much distortion to the speakers which lead to them blowing.

I also belive that there were some MTX speakers a while back that had removable tweaters or something like that if memory serves correctly.

Ps. these were in previous car I owned.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
oh ok well if it's a maxima and you're going to mount them on the rear panel by the glass then 6x9's should work fine. it may sound better though if you build little enclosures underneath to get better bass.

i had some alpine 6x9's in my old nissan sentra mounted on the back panel and it sounded great. there was no thundering bass of course, but it was much better then any stock radio.

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
I'd say...
I agree that all speakers and wiring should be well installed, almost hidden.
crappy boxes, big boxes are GAY cuz we cant pull the targa off whenever we want without moving the box(es)

(keeping this "almost hidden" in mind)
lets return to the discussion...

POLK audio 4" or 5", but the same all the way around.
This will promote a definite, but workable stereo soundstage in the car.
I used 4" to keep the stock box with no mods.
Hooked it up to the radio outputs. (poor mans gold)
The system is now midrange-ie, but predictable.

next... complete the mid bass.
We have no "trunk", so...
Use the largest speaker you can live with in the rear back lid deck.
Id love to try the rectangular plexiglass looking speaker (its a sub) i seen once

just hook it up as full audio (no band pass) to an amp using the rca output from the radio.

This will "fill" the lower band of sound that the 4", 5", or 6x9 cant make in our cars.

anyways,
This setup has a KILLER full-sound.
(I'd like to add a sub for that low-bass sound. but im still thinking how to make it POUND but fit inside the spare, or hidden somewhere in the back.)

heres the goods on the rear deck lid...
the first time I tried it...
I actually took the rear cover and traced it to make a stronger deck lid out of 1/8" plywood. I used a pair of 8" which gave that full sound that wasn't bass-ey.

the back lid needed a spacer to bolt back into the stock screwholes because I fabbed up a "shoebox" underneath to clear the speaker magnets.
This completes the "BOX" for the speaker.

I topped it with speakergrills, and the rug could lay on it without slapping into the speakers.

The rug kills most of the midrange sound leaving bass sound from ~90 hz to ~250hz range. This is that range that the 4" ers cant make good on in a supra.

DRAWBACK?- (its suited to individual tastes)
personally, I like HARD POUNDING BASS that is well rounded from crisp highs to lows.
why? Im an AUDIOFIEND. (??? the next gen audiophile???)
The pound of the bottom end gives all the depth and drama to the music.

(To control the sound, Id try to use separates and an electronic crossover to get it perfect. )

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
For my lows I will be using a solo-baric L7 in a vented box. They give a nice round bassy punch that fills the car with a nice, clean, rich sound. However if you want raw bottom out bass I've heard some Memphis 12" that were pretty good (can't remember the series but they were DVC). By far the best bang for the buck that I have experienced were the Pioneer DVC subs, inexpensive, with a kick ass sound, as far as 6X9's go as stated above...all I can say is kick ass for the money.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Im no audiophile, but i jsut want something 'relitivly' cheap and to sound better than stock!

Ill go with the jensens, why not?

In my supra though, im gonna go all out.

And ill probably throw a crappy sub for some bass in the trunk.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I'll be straight up with you: Jensen's are pieces of shit. They make VERY poorly produced products. Sound, like speed, is one of those areas where you get what you pay for...most of the time. Sometimes you pay for a brand name, most of the time you're paying for quality.

Infinity USED to make good speakers. Their 06 lineup sucks. My mom's neon has Infinity Kappa's all the way around (6.5" components up front, 6x8's in the back), and it sounds DAMN good for just being speakers driven from the Alpine deck's internal amp.

Granted, you are paying a little bit for a brand name, they sound good for the price. If you REALLY want to get into good sound, step-up to a set of Focal components, or even Trio components (about $1100/pair). If you're looking for some relatively low priced speakers, pick up a pair of Polk's.

CLIFFS: Jensen sucks on fat baby's balls. Infinity is good for the price pre-06. Focal and Trio Rock. Polks=relatively cheap and sound good.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
So I have some audio experience and anyone saying infinitys aren't worth it... Have you guys listened to these things with a GOOD amp. The low end reference series should be run at around 30-60 watts for the best quality. (Realistic aftermarket deck power is only 18-25W) You're just not gonna get their potential with deck only power. And if you do have an amp, its gotta be decent. A bad amp is worthless. I believe the kappa's require a lot more power, so if you've heard them with all the correct gear, then its cool if you think they still suck. I work at Best Buy and they run the speakers on display off a home theatre reciever which usually puts out about deck power, so you're not hearing them the way they were intended to be heard. BTW Best Buy is about the worst place to sample speakers. Go to Quality Auto Sound and waste their time then go to BB or CC and pick up the speakers at a reasonable price.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Umm..he said he wasn't looking to spend too much, and from past experiences, MBQuarts are a little above the price range he was looking at. If we were to start talking about that sort of thing...Rainbow, Focal, all the other european companies, etc...

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
johnathan1 said:
Yea, Inifity's are overrated IMO...I listened to them all at Best Buy, and my Bose 8ohm bookshelf speakers sound better in the Supra...lol.

And estrellainc:
:ttiwwp:

WTF is an Inifity? Inni-fitty?:naughty:

Well, INFINITY'S:
They are of utmost quality and if you know how to match your sound system properly, they are some of the best speakers for the money on the market.
Are they the BEST out there for overall sound? Of course not. But to compare, the highs from the Infinity's I have in my Supra compare to nothing I've ever owned...but they do lack a "little bit" of bass...but it's definately there. Infinity Reference series are definately good speakers...But then once you hear Kappa's and KP's, They are a bit on the low quality side! ;)

I'm not even going to BOTHER to try and convince anyone of what is better than what, I work fulltime selling this crap so I don't want to talk about it on my off-time!:naughty:

*edit* What Best Buy store do you work at, suprarx7nut?