Let me see your trunks!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
SPD TRP;981136 said:
You guys with the big sub boxes using the spare tire area, a question for you, do you guys all have a really good AAA card or do you all have run flat tires.

I am not hating, have been wanting to do something similar to alot of the really nice set-ups in this thread.

Thought I would need to use the rear seats for some of it and make it a two seater. Waiting for my kids to get a little older so won't need the rear seats.
We are almost there, real close, probably closer since seeing this thread!!!

Wayne

I like to do a lot of mountain road driving..... aka roads which aren't ideally maintained. I have AAA Plus (100mi free towing), but i'm STILL keeping my spare. Fullsized spares are nice, and just incase anything were to happen out of cell phone range, i'd rather limp back to a town then be stranded. Yes, I lose trunkspace, but thats what the backseat is for. And, i think backseat deletes 99% of the time look half asses and don't fit the car.

ATMA

Mar 30, 2008
michigan
DCP01905.JPG

this is my trunk nothing great does put some decent sound though

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
christ, throw some carpet or at least spray paint on that box, lol.

Here is the setup I did on Lucy. Very good sounding system for less than $400

install1.jpg

install4.jpg

install7.jpg

install8.jpg

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Very crafty i must say... And acoustically the octibox would sound a little better than a typical square or rectangle... Its very nice that you can hide everything under the carpet. Unfortunately my subs are much too large to fit in that small of a box. They are far too deep. I will be fiberglassing a box for them very soon.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I was able to make that box 1.5cu/ft which what what my sub called for for a sealed enclosure. It stuck up out of the spare tire well a little and I had to flatten the bottom of the welll with a big ass hammer, but it fit tight enough to fit under the false floor which was my big concern. I liked having a stealth system. My other speakers were just 4" in the rear and the doors running off a 4 channel amp. Wouldnt know there was a system in it unless you heard it.

The octobox was relatively easy to make once I got the math right.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Its a sweet lookin box, now its time to put a real sub and amp in there! Nothing wrong with another 30lbs in the back to help add traction!

Brap

Apr 3, 2008
Geelong
Hey there,

Some very nice set ups in this thread, i thought id throw mine in seeing as i finished it today... not as nice as some of those and im sure people will bag the components but keep in mind they do provide a bit more thump and quality than the dodgy 4" 's i had in the stock rear spots...

head unit is a sony bluetooth equipped unit, does what i need it to, fronts are pioneer 4" in stock location and my new rears are sony 6x9's i got on special for $30au.. bag away fellas but remember this was done on a tight budget and was only after a bit more bass and a larger sound range :) *flame suit on*

The set up:

Ok so i decided to replace the rears with some 6x9's, and i wanted to cover up the shabby looking rear carpet and ugly spare wheel hump in the hatch area... solution? parcel shelf.. i didnt have a 'boot blind' when i got the car so something to keep prying eyes from anything i may have in the hatch would be a bonus.. i also use the car to carry my bike/dog so what ever i came up with had to be somewhat removable...

this is the 'strut' that fits where the stock blind would mount and will provide the hinging point for the actual shelf
p992833_1.jpg

the parcel shelf its self, note i constructed it of 2 pieces so a small amount of flex would be available for where the hatch hits the very end of the shelf.
p992833_2.jpg

Got some medium grey carpet from bunnings to cover the shelf with, i decided grey would better suit the interior than black, make it look a bit more like it was meant to be there... glued the carpet on with the same adhesive they use to glue fake turf down.. so it should hold!

strut:
p992833_3.jpg

Shelf:
p992833_4.jpg

carpeted and trimmed strut and shelf.. automotive carpet can be trimmed and wont fray on the edges, i decided to cut it to shape as trying to fold it under would have been too bulky to work with, and when the hatch is closed you cant see the edges anyway
p992833_5.jpg

p992833_6.jpg

Strut installed:
As mentioned earlier it utilises the stock blind mounting point once the clips were removed and simply bolts to the vertical side of the stock rear speaker/strut cover (unscrewing the bolts allows easy removal)
p992833_7.jpg

shelf mounted up and attached:
the self simply sits on the flat area of the speaker/strut cover and i have some rubber mounts screwed into the rear plastic trim for the back edges to rest on.. the shelf butts up to the strut bar and the hinges screw down into the shelf, the shelf is then removable by undoing the hinge screws on the shelf side
p992833_8.jpg

There is 3 hinges along the join, stainless steel hinges cleaned and painted black to blend in a bit better, i also coated the mounting screws:
p992833_9.jpg

speakers in:
i extended the existing speaker wires and routed them through a hole under the speaker and into the hatch area, these can be threaded back up into the trim for when the shelf isnt in use.
p992833_10.jpg

view through the back window:
with the hatch closed you cant see the edges of the shelf and it gives it a nice OEM look, the mounting at the strut end, and the pressure of the hatch at the back keep it locked down and avoid any rattles or bouncing whilst in transit:
p992833_11.jpg

In order to gain access to the boot (trunk for you yankie doodles) when the hatch is up i need set up like standard hatch backs have... at the moment its a bit ghetto as im using left over speaker wire to form a loop that hooks onto the stock blind hooks, they run through the shelf and i have attached old sockets to the ends of the cable to add weight so that when closed the pull back down and stop the loops from being visible and tangling in the closing mechanism. in time i will get some stocky loops from a hatch back and a better weighting system.
p992833_12.jpg

The sound compared to what i did have is extremely good.. a bit too bassy as i havent played with my settings yet..

wow, im pooped after all that, sorry for the big post but i guess if anyone was looking to go down this path it gives a half decent run through

Cheers!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Very crafty! I like it. I dont flame people for this kind of stuff simply because its all you wanted, and you are satisfied with it. Its the people that come in bragging about some crap they have and they think their hot stuff!

It looks great. What size MDF is that? 1/2"? How much do you think it weighs, seems like MDF would be heavy.

Brap

Apr 3, 2008
Geelong
The strut peice is fibreboard that was laying around at work...

the mdf is only thin, to keep the weight down.. about 6mm i think? i used another strip along the hinging edge to bring it up to the same height as the fibre board

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Cravin Boost;858221 said:
here is the setup I got going on

The sub enclosure is made from Sewer pipe (25" OD 23.75" ID PVC)
Top and bottom are made from 3/4 MDF
its a 4"X~12" port
12" dual voicecoil @2 Ohms in series

Wow... where you get 25" PVC pipe from and how did you cut it? I've been searching for something rigid and circular, exactly that size (to do the same as you).

Thanks,
E

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Use a concrete mold for pouring footings in the ground. Any hardware store will have them, and the need just a few peices of wood, and some MDF caps made for a ends to beef them up. They are fairly cheap too...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
pbasil1;1014608 said:
Use a concrete mold for pouring footings in the ground. Any hardware store will have them, and the need just a few peices of wood, and some MDF caps made for a ends to beef them up. They are fairly cheap too...

I've seen those at Lowe's and they come in a variety of diameters, but I have not seen 'em that large. I was gonna use a 1-2' tube of that stuff to make an enclosure for my 8" sub. I'll go look for a larrger one again... I may try to do something this weekend.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
i have seen many of them in 15-20" diameters, but im not so sure they were at lowes or home depot... Possible a specialty landscape/construction supply yard?