less boost on the lex afm??

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
so today i just took out the stock afm and replaced it with the Lex afm and K&N filter.. on the stock afm i was able to run 15-17 pounds of boost with no fuel cut... with the lex afm its only boosting to 15 and hitting fuel cut :cry: ... any ideas? i have a wideband and SAFC II to tune with. i did notice however when it reached 15psi the wide band was reading a flat 10.. if i lean it up some will it boost higher?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
well i just went out and messed around with it agian.. i backed out the screw on the lex afm alittle more and messed with the AFR's it will now hit 16psi and fuel cut... all the clamps are as tight as they will get.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
i have a 60-1 ct26,, stock intercooler,, hard pipes,, lex afm,, stock injectors,, safc II and wideband,, full 3in exhaust but right now im running open down pipe,.,,, the safc right now is set around +20 to +14 at lower rpms in boost it would be lean, then at higher rpms in boost it would be really rich. so the safc is set starting out at like +20 at low rpms and slowly goes down to about +11 or +10 at high rpms

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
stock injectors and lex?

Somehow I doubt it is fuel cut. More like detonation!

Seriously, who gave you the stupid, idiotic idea to even attempt to do that??

You will be lucky if that motor is still good at this point considering that you are exactly about 20% lean throughout which is 5% more than the O2 can compensate. Attempt to richen it up and now you will be teetering at the edge of running the injectors static open at around 12 psi. But 15-16 psi :confused:... yeah... get a bucket and a shovel.

Last edited:

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
figgie;1075198 said:
stock injectors and lex?

Somehow I doubt it is fuel cut. More like detonation!

Seriously, who gave you the stupid, idiotic idea to even attempt to do that??

You will be lucky if that motor is still good at this point considering that you are exactly about 20% lean throughout which is 5% more than the O2 can compensate. Attempt to richen it up and now you will be teetering at the edge of running the injectors static open at around 12 psi. But 15-16 psi :confugsed:... yeah... get a bucket and a shovel.

Couldnt have said it better.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Shut that non sense up about the lex not working well with the 440's...... Its about tuning. I have been running wit this set up for almost a year now. My advice is to up the fuel pressure and decrease the setting on the SAFC. Tune with fuel pressure first and then make small changes with the SAFC to tweak the setup.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I understand that 550's would be almost a direct swap and would not "need" to be tuned to be safe but come on you guys kill me ...... isn’t there a rule of thumb for injectors for our cars?????

1hp=1cc

So with that said 440cc injectors would be good up too the 400rwhp mark if that rule of thumb is appropriate, relevant or half way factual. He is no where close to that range yet. Hopefully he has had his injectors serviced at least.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
thank you bountykilla..... according to my wideband the car is running safely. and for those that may have not seen my last post about my stock injectors, im not even sure there 440s cause my car with "stock" injectors and stock AFM would run 17-18psi and still run rich with very little adjustment with the safc. so my injectors seem to be putting out plenty of fuel. and bountykilla is right, its all about tuning.. there are several people running stock injectors and lex afm.. i know this is going to sound realy stupid but i did fix the fuel cut problem.. it was the same problem my stock afm had. it doesnt like to be completly sealed up with the filter, it likes a little gap between the filter and afm other wise it hits fuel cut realy early. which i find to be odd. but i put a small gap between the lex afm and the air filter and there is no more fuel cut. so it seems like it was just having restriction problems. now when i boost i hit 18psi and the wideband says between 10-11 and the safc is only at +10 so i could lean that down somemore still. either way next week i will be buying 550s

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I swear, either stupidity is branching out or people prefer to stay ignorant.

Injectors don't Flow for HP

they Flow for CC/min.

Fact of the matter is if they are 440cc/min injectors. There is no doubt that at around 12 psi they are running 100% STATIC OPEN. This is not debateable!

As for tuning, not with a piggy back I don't think so or lest this forum forget that AFM signal manipulation via whatever piggy back of the month is has a direct correlation on ignition timing.

Those injectors are either not 440 or you will need a bucket and shovel regardless of what the AFR says.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
suprafanatic;1075238 said:
it was the same problem my stock afm had. it doesnt like to be completly sealed up with the filter, it likes a little gap between the filter and afm other wise it hits fuel cut realy early. which i find to be odd. but i put a small gap between the lex afm and the air filter and there is no more fuel cut. so it seems like it was just having restriction problems.

Could you clarify what you're saying here? Are you saying you're letting in unfiltered air because you're outflowing the stock airbox? Sorry, I just don't know exactly what you're saying.

s000pra89T

SuFra TurVo
Apr 18, 2005
VA Beach
suprafanatic;1075238 said:
....but i put a small gap between the lex afm and the air filter and there is no more fuel cut. so it seems like it was just having restriction problems.....

Do show please...I'm curious.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Nathan, you have a nice car! Put that filter on correctly, and deal with 12 lbs for a week or two. I'm sure leaves and paper scraps you car may pick up will burn in the cylinder, but they won't be good for gas mileage.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
ForcedTorque;1075297 said:
Nathan, you have a nice car! Put that filter on correctly, and deal with 12 lbs for a week or two. I'm sure leaves and paper scraps you car may pick up will burn in the cylinder, but they won't be good for gas mileage.
I'm less concerned with those, and more concerned about what dust and sand does to the turbo compressor wheel when it's spinning at 100,000 rpm. I know for a fact what it does to the piston crown, valves, and cylinder walls, I've seen it first hand, and it's not pretty.

I'm not saying it'll kill your car in a week or a month, but it could easily halve the life expectancy of your engine.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
figgie;1075266 said:
I swear, either stupidity is branching out or people prefer to stay ignorant.

Injectors don't Flow for HP

they Flow for CC/min.

Fact of the matter is if they are 440cc/min injectors. There is no doubt that at around 12 psi they are running 100% STATIC OPEN. This is not debateable!

As for tuning, not with a piggy back I don't think so or lest this forum forget that AFM signal manipulation via whatever piggy back of the month is has a direct correlation on ignition timing.

Those injectors are either not 440 or you will need a bucket and shovel regardless of what the AFR says.

Que??? Easy there captain I am a little slow, wait I mean stupid no I mean ignorant. Educate me please and prove what you say....

I know a few people running the lex afm and I happen to be the one with the smallest turbo .... Just a stock ct26. There are a few members on this forum who have the lex afm and 440 combo. Quin noted that stock 440's start to lean out @ 18psi on his 60-1.

Again can you show me your facts .... I mean show everyone