Leaky Steering Rack Fix?

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Well I came to the conclusion that my steering rack seals are gone along with the leaky lines. Pulled a dust boot off to find it full of oil.. :(

So instead of putting out $500 for a reman rack has anyone tried changing the seals themselves? I would much rather do it myself if the parts are available and there arnt too many special tools to take it apart.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Only attempt this if you've done a rack rebuild before. You are right that its not super hard, but if you scratch or nick or even scuff the sliding surfaces its lights out for that rack x.x

Not trying to discourage, but just making you aware. It's why so many shops recommend reman racks- no possibility of screwing up the rebuild plus they usually come with a warranty :)

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
enjoi.this;1703215 said:
Well I came to the conclusion that my steering rack seals are gone along with the leaky lines. Pulled a dust boot off to find it full of oil.. :(

So instead of putting out $500 for a reman rack has anyone tried changing the seals themselves? I would much rather do it myself if the parts are available and there arnt too many special tools to take it apart.

DAMN 500 bucks? wow i gotta buy one but the reman is only 200 here... o_O

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
It is less then $500 for the rack itself just making safe play room with all the taxes, shipping and other fees.. Plus I still need to get high pressure lines for the rack too.

Im going to pull the leaking one out and go for it. If all else fails and I cant find parts Ill just put it back together and trade it in on a reman.. May just fix it for next too nothing this way :D

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
A positive to rebuilding.. You can throw in rack spacers for additional steering angle while you have it apart.

Maybe its just me, but I hate the huge turning radius of the mk3

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Hate to being up an thread but I hate to make another pointless thread. Why is it so hard to rebuild the rack? Just because of the chance off scuffing or special tools needed? What special tools are needed anyway?