Larger Brake Master Cylinder options- 95 4Runner w/ABS?

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
If you were to put dual piston calipers from a previa (the ones that bolt-on) would that cause the front brakes to have an unequal amount of braking force compared to the stock braking force? (will the fronts lock up before the rears?)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
aljordan said:
I wonder if 4 pistons in the back would require a larger MC. In addition to the BBK up front, obviously.

It all depends on how its sized.. If sized correctly, then no it wouldn't.

Once I finally get around to finnishing my rear setup, I will then have 6pot on the front and 4pot on the back and with a stock M/C, will still have a better feel and stiffer peddle.

twinturbozs

Apr 4, 2005
san francisco
UPDATE: the resevoir on the 95 4runner does not match up with the MKIII. Its approximately 1/2" too short. The hardlines do match up along with the 4 bolts. I didnt have a 4runner resevoir so i was unable to install it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
naa they will nto work at all withc out spacering you front wheel's witch is retared and dumb

MDCmotorsports said:
Ive tried the 4 pot 4runner calipers. Toooo much work and machining required compaired to a custom Willwood or Brembo kit.

twinturbozs

Apr 4, 2005
san francisco
Update:

I located a 1995 4Runner MC w/ABS and it bolted up correctly. You'll need the 4runner resevoir, fortunately our fluid level cap works for the resevoir too, but you need to keep the resevoir topped off as the sensor sits a bit higher than stock.

I cant say i noticed a huge difference in pedal feel with my Precision Brakes though.

twinturbozs

Apr 4, 2005
san francisco
I ended up adjusting my pushrod too, but i havent completely eliminated a slight spongy feeling in the pedal. im not sure what the problem is now. This is my 4th MC installed, ive gone through 5 mechanics who bled the lines themselves.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
cjsupra90 said:
There is no need to go to a lager bore master cylinder. For one, doing so will lower the pressure output for the same given peddle effort and therefor you will have to push harder to equal the same M/C output pressure,

I think you have this backwards. Pressure = Force x Area. Increasing the area increases pressure for the same force. It makes sense to go to a larger bore master for better pedal feel.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
twinturbozs said:
Update:

I located a 1995 4Runner MC w/ABS and it bolted up correctly. You'll need the 4runner resevoir, fortunately our fluid level cap works for the resevoir too, but you need to keep the resevoir topped off as the sensor sits a bit higher than stock.

I cant say i noticed a huge difference in pedal feel with my Precision Brakes though.

you may want to disassemble the MC and measure to see if you're actually gaining anything....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
limequat said:
I think you have this backwards. Pressure = Force x Area. Increasing the area increases pressure for the same force. It makes sense to go to a larger bore master for better pedal feel.
CJ has it right.

Smaller Master = less pedal effort but longer stroke/spongy "feel"

Larger Master = more pedal effort but shorter stroke/improved "feel"

On my 240z I deleted the Booster and did it all with mechanical advantage and used 2 single circuit master cylinders that I had sleeved down to accept the piston size I'd calculated would give me the best compromise then used an adjustable proportioning valve to compensate for full (120litres) to empty tanks.