Knocking motor

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Alright guys I need some opinions. My motor has about 1400 miles and its all forged internals bored 40 over and such. I was driving it to an amusement park and i guess i was running low on oil but i didnt notice. On the way back though I guess i completely had no oil well enough to run so the engine lost power and the turbo turned cherry red. eventually as i came to slow down the car shutoff on its on and would not start. Now when i attempted to run the car again the car knocks like crazy. How bad do you think the damage is. Do you think im going to need to buy rods and a new crank or maybe i got lucky and just spun a bearing. Either way i believe Im going to bring my crank and rods to a machine shop to be checked out once i rip aprt the motor. Any advice is appreciated:1zhelp:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
What you describe is a complete meltdown. There may be little/nothing left of that engine that is salvageable. If you cooked it that bad, your cylinder head need to be checked for hardness as you may have annealed the aluminum head. You've likely spun several bearings, your crank & rods all need to be checked to see if they are salvageable. The block is likely contaminated with metal parts from the bearings. Your cylinder walls are likely scored.

The crank is probably salvageable.
The rods may be salvageable.
The pistons may be salvageable.
The block is possibly salvageable depending on if you fused any ring material to the bores, and how badly scored they are.
The head may be salvageable depending on if you annealed it, and whether or not it warped badly.
The cams are likely salvageable.
The turbo will need to be rebuilt.

The motor needs to be pulled and disassembled. The block needs to be inspected at the very least. If it passes inspection, the block needs to be hot tanked and cleaned out. The crank, rods & pistons need to be checked. You'll need a new oil pump, rod & main bearings, head gasket, gasket kit and rings at the very least.

The turbo is likely baked, it will need a rebuild, the amount of coking that will happen when they get that hot has likely killed the CHRA.

The head needs to be checked for hardness and warping. All tolerances need to be re-checked.

No matter what, you're looking at a full rebuild.

What you describe is one of the worst ways to kill an engine. If you are lucky, some of what you have can be used.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
KicknAsphlt;1238946 said:
Wow, even mine didn't get that hot when I lost my oil...but then again, I wasn't runnin' it hard, either...just cruisin' down the highway...lol.

Were you running a synthetic oil, or conventional?

I was running mobil one ... and if i do have to do a complete rebuild its going to suck seeing how i just had them motor done with je pistons , eagle rods, and a the head completely done with ferrea parts ... what a waste of money lol i had alot time and money invested and now ts all gone ....

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
its threads like these that make me check my oil and antifreeze level everyday before i decide to drive my car...sorry for your loss, hope your able to repair it...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Dude, that is horrible! I HATE stories like this.

How did you manage to run it out of oil?! Especially in only 1400 miles! Was your drain plug loose or something?

Another idea is to buy a JDM, put that in, and keep any salvageable parts from your other engine for a future project.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
CajunKenny;1239112 said:
Dude, that is horrible! I HATE stories like this.

How did you manage to run it out of oil?! Especially in only 1400 miles! Was your drain plug loose or something?

Another idea is to buy a JDM, put that in, and keep any salvageable parts from your other engine for a future project.

It was the bolt that holds the oil filter housing onto the block. I had a slow leak and i guess eventually it just got low enough to cause all this damage and I was checking the oil level regularly becuase i was change every few hundred miles for break in... yea it does suck and hopefully at least if anything the valvetrain is salvageable lol cause it cost me an arm and a leg for it... nevermind the the money spent on everything else.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
reminds me of those VW engine destroying contests. If your going to destroy it, might as well make sure its ALL dead.

bummer, hope some of it is still good!

slowpra na-t

Permanently Banned
Oct 16, 2008
murrieta ca
KicknAsphlt;1239268 said:
Funny thing, I checked coolant and oil before I left that morning...everything was full...lol.

wow!! how did it lose all the oil??
when i spun a bearing nothing was salvageable except the head... but i had to have it hot tanked to get out all the metal.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
great its not looking good for me then :/ that was the biggest waste of money lol thats a quick way to ruin a good motor life sucks... I dont know when im going to get around to ripping the motor apart since I know now I'm going to have to do it all over again

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
slowpra na-t;1239351 said:
wow!! how did it lose all the oil??
when i spun a bearing nothing was salvageable except the head... but i had to have it hot tanked to get out all the metal.

I think it left between the head and head gasket....when I got to ripping the motor apart, every exhuast side head bolt was loose....*shrug* Still trying to figure that one out...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
drop in a JDM 7MGTE, for the moment, those are cheap..

but REBUILD RIGHT AWAY, and swap your engine back in, JDM motors are like a box of chocolates......brown, covered in coconut and delicious...? No....anyway, don't trust a JDM motor very long..

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
RazoE;1239541 said:
drop in a JDM 7MGTE, for the moment, those are cheap..

but REBUILD RIGHT AWAY, and swap your engine back in, JDM motors are like a box of chocolates......brown, covered in coconut and delicious...? No....anyway, don't trust a JDM motor very long..

yea I think thats what im going to end up doing .. just swap in another motor for now... these cars are definitely a love hate relationship lol with more love at the end though cause you can never lose interest :) in my case at least

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Find a reputable person on here that is selling a nice wore in 7m-gte. Don't buy a JDm motor, unless you want to replace every seal and gasket, that is what I did with my 1jz, I took 2 weeks of cleaning, and putting all new gaskets and seals on it.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
figgie;1240187 said:
How?

did you pull the oil dip stick, see where the line was and called it a day?

Made sure car was on level ground, pull dipstick, wipe, reinsert...pull again, read dipstick...

It's funny, part of me wants to be offended at that question...LOL...but then, I remember -- there really are people out there that don't know how to check their oil properly... :biglaugh: