Keyless push button start?

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
Last night i just had a thought of putting in a keyless push button start in my supra for no other reason then i think its interesting. I was thinking of making an accessory switch with a push button start. Has anyone ever done this and could give me some advice that would be appreciated. Im going to try and do this this weekend and i will also post pics as i do it.

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
MT/AT? I had Clifford installed on my second Supra. Was nice to have a remote start to warm up the motor while getting ready for work. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Supradupra did it. It's not easy unless you just want to add a push button which IMO is useless and stupid dice you have to turn the key to on the push a button.

If there is no key at all then it's cool but...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Then use a transponder, either an aftermarket rig or one from another car. There's all kinds of automotive things that can be grafted onto different cars. I'm fond of using Lexus gadgets. I've also installed MKIII stuff on other cars.

A cheaper option is to secret squirrel the button. Works only if the door is open and the belt fastened or parking lights on for example. Some other combo of things only you know. Kinda pointless though as it's more work than turning a key.

Here's a print reader: http://www.automobile-security.com/products.htm

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I had something similar to this rigged up in one of my old MKIII's.

Back when I did it, you had to build your own.

Now there are a number of companies that make kits:

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/2GOKEYLESS1.html
http://www.ididitinc.com/accessory_pages/key_to_keyless.html
http://www.gallotech.com/products.php

If I do it again on the hardtop, I'll likely still build my own, the wiring is easy and RFID tech is ubiquitous at this point...

I don't know if any of these are any good (they are all overpriced, IMO) but if you lack the skill to develop your own, it's an option...

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
you can always install the same push start button that is on a S2K on the MKIII, mount it on the cig lighter i have mine set up that way and looks great even though you have to turn the key to actually ans push the button to make it start

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
acc/on = seatbelt switch/relay
push button = starter
alarm = security/doors

failure safety switch: incase seatbelt relay fail
use a 3-pole relay (Allen-Bradley)

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
T701jz;1811661 said:
acc/on = seatbelt switch/relay
push button = starter
alarm = security/doors

failure safety switch: incase seatbelt relay fail
use a 3-pole relay (Allen-Bradley)

never would have thought about the using the seatbelt as a switch but i would rather have it as a toggle switch.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That fingerprint sensor looks similar to the one on my laptop, which is not very reliable. I've gotten use to just swiping it right, but I still get plenty of false readings.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The name it comes up under most is "passive keyless entry" if you're searcing ebay or whatever. It's a system like the new cadillacs/bmw/audi come with where the car unlocks and recognizes your remote when you walk up to it (no button press required) and then you get in and just hit a start button on the dash to turn on/start/shut off the car. I'm sure a remote start feature is also there on most systems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250954934343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l264

I was considering this system for my car till I remembered how much I hate wiring car security systems, and how much bad luck I've had with non-name-brand car electronics.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I have this on my MK3. Interesting for the first 7 starts, then the worries about security and the general pointlessness kick in. I'm looking to remove mine in the near future.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
3p141592654;1811872 said:
That fingerprint sensor looks similar to the one on my laptop, which is not very reliable. I've gotten use to just swiping it right, but I still get plenty of false readings.

Or it could be like the ones on my gun vault and garage side door...both of which operate near flawlessly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, there's plenty of safety systems for remote starts.

The issue with not using a key at all is the column lock. You'd either have to leave it unlocked or figure out some way to trigger it remotely.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
sorry to bring this up being as it's been a couple months now since the last reply.. but i too am looking at doing something like this for my car when i return from all my National Guard training. The last owner of my mk3 decided to bypass the clutch safety switch, so the clutch doesn't need to be pressed in order for the car to start. however, they messed something up, so now it loses power somewhere around there, which makes it only wanna start maybe half the time i try, or less. anyway, so now we put a wire on the starter that goes to the battery, when the wire touches the + part of the battery, it will start up. Kind of a pain to have to open the hood and do that every time i wanna drive, so i'm thinking of doing something along these lines. Be kinda cool to have it like nascar, get in, flip some switches to get power going, then hit a button. anyone else got any good suggestions of how to wire that?? gonna be awhile till i get there, being as first i have to get the engine rebuilt. :(

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;1811978 said:
Thieves appreciate your effort.

Cant tell if you're being sarcastic, but your article specifically points out how remote start alarm systems are good ways to deter thieves and warm up your car safely and securely.

Anyways... Id love a keyless start, but its a little redundant. I still have to carry the remote and likely the key in case of power loss or something. And I'd have to put my keys somewhere when I get in the car...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2