JZ Powered Cressida Drift Build

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
This is a build log for my 90 Cressida. The story starts with my Supra. It had a rebuilt 7M, lex/550's, 57 trim, the usual mods.

The car ran great but it wasn't long until I had a broken ringland on the NPR pistons. NPR pistons are junk. Never use them.

I was burned out on working on the Supra and wanted to build another car. One of my friends offered me a Cressida with a blown 7m he had sitting around for a few years. I've always loved mx83 Cressidas and was super excited to start the build. Picked it up for $200!

One thing was for sure, I wanted a JZ in the car. After a lot of research and saving money I decided on a non vvti 1JZ from a jzx90.

I ordered it from jdmracingmotors and it showed up in amazing shape. Very clean and very complete!

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I started working on the Cressida, pulled all the interior. The car was full of dead rats and was totally disgusting inside. It took a lot of scrubbing every inch of the bare shell for the smell to go away.

I removed the deadening with dry ice, scuffed and primered the interior. Installed an NRG hub and quick release with a 350mm dish wheel.

Painted it Machine Grey.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Pulled the 7M out one morning. Started tearing into it with an electric impact and had it out in an hour.

Tore the Cressida 7M down and found this.

Started tearing into the 1JZ. Installed a new 2JZ water pump, new timing belt, DM aluminum pulley set, serpentine belt and tensioner bearing. Pulled the pan to check the bottom end and pulled the piping to check the twins out. Everything looked good.

I don't have a garage so I had to keep the 1JZ in my kitchen. :eek3:

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The parts started coming in. I'm using an oem flywheel and an F1 Racing 6 puck. A few guys at the track told me these clutches work great for the price.

After pulling the R154 from the Supra and a LOT of beating the trans tunnel with a sledge hammer I was ready to attempt to drop the 1JZ in. I used the stock jzx90 mounts swapped to the opposite sides and the Cressida crossmember on the R154. Bolted up the flywheel with ARP bolts and installed the clutch and trans.

It was a really tight fit... but it went in.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I installed the radiator, fans, hoses, intake, and downpipe. This is where I'm at right now, I'll update as I make more progress.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Got my seat brackets for Xcessive MFG.

Filled the R154 with MT90. It lines up good!

Did some quick wiring and after a little trouble with the fuel pump wiring it started right up and ran perfectly. So relieved.
[video=youtube;LYlvBanU6-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlvBanU6-c[/video]

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited to drive it since I've never driven or even ridden in a Cressida before. Same goes for the 1JZ.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
This is actually pretty cool. Its like a super sleeper car. Any full pics of the Cressida from the front? The body actually looks pretty clean for $200.

Spikeophant

Mar 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon, United States
Nice Cressida. I thought about buying a 1jz swapped one I found up in Portland but was worried about dealing with someone elses swap. That body is really clean for a 200 dollar car, nice find. What did you end up paying for the 1jz? How bad was wiring it up? I've done mostly old cars, so dealt with carbs and 7-10 wires at most to make them run, so swaps are really simple.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The 1JZ was $1550 + $350 shipping from Canada. Included ignitor, ecu, harness, auto trans, compression test, and it was in great shape. Wiring it up wasn't too bad besides that JZX90 1JZ body harness pinouts are impossible to find anywhere online. Once I got that figured out, it only takes +12v to 4 pins on the ecu, and +12v to 3 wires on the body harness plug that power the injectors and ignitor and it will run.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Used a 3" holesaw and cut holes for the IC piping. I used DM's 1JZ intercooler and it was like it was made for the Cressida. Exactly what I needed.

Waiting on IC piping and a 2.75-2.5" coupler for the drivers side. Relocated the battery to the trunk and used a Tsunami distribution block up front. Worked great.

Finished Interior

Not pictured, I used Xcessive mfg's clutch pedal and stainless braided clutch line kit which fit great too. I'm waiting for my driveshaft to be built and then I can finally drive this car for the first time ever. I still need to buy coilovers, and swap in my welded diff and 255lph pump before it's track ready. :naughty:

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Took it for the first drive. It's very fast, but it's making 17 psi and slamming fuel cut because it only has an open 3" downpipe. Getting a 2.5" exhaust made in a couple days that will hopefully bring the boost down a little bit. It weighs in at 3050 lbs. Not too bad but I'm going to try to get some more weight out of it. I'll get some more pics and footage as soon as I get the coilovers and diff welded. I'm taking it to a drift event on May 18th in Portland, excited to be back on the track.

Xcessive Manufacturing Steel Driveshaft

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The Cress is finished besides coilovers which come in on the 22nd. Added a Weir stage 2 LSD kit to my Supra LSD and swapped it in, so far much better than a welded. I've been dailying the car and it's been running great!
Pictured with my good friend's 89 MK3.