JZ Powered Cressida Drift Build

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
This is quick and dirty track car wiring to a switch panel, you'll need the harness pinouts under the dash to wire it in correctly for a street car.

Constant 12V to pin 14, switched 12V to pins 9, 22, 23. This powers on the ECU

155560081.jpg

This is a JZX90 harness so it might be a little different.
Switched 12V to the two large black wires in the center, there are also two more black wires, they have a yellow and red stripe IIRC. One is the starter solenoid the other gets switched 12V. These wires power the ignitor and injectors.
20140223_202029.jpg

Finally I used a multimeter to find the coolant temp and oil pressure wires on the harness. The tach wire is the solid black one on the same plug. Find the pinout for the dash plug to wire these in.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
No problem!

No, I removed all the AC equipment from the car and the harness goes through the hole where the a/c lines used to be. The ECU is mounted on the firewall behind the hvac system.

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
Really nice build! What is the weight difference between the Cres and the Supra? They had a Cressida with I believe a 2jz on pinks. But they kept running in to problems but it still kicked ass.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't think there is that great of a difference in weight from the Cressida to the Supra. I remember my 88 to be built pretty similar to the Supra, just the body style was boxier and the interior was more "business-like". It still handled quite similar.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The Cressida is 300 lbs lighter than my MK3. Same weight reduction mods except race seats in the Cress and stock seats in the Supra.

I've been having all kinds of fun in this car. Here's a vid of it in action.

[video=youtube;C-sJKekLJpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-sJKekLJpE[/video]

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
I'm so happy to see this build, I've been wanting to engine swap a Cressida for a couple months now but have yet to find a good chassis. The one i looked at today turned out to have a welded diff which i was very against.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Funny you guys mention that, it's a pet peeve of mine when people go on and on about how they are going to build a car and it ends up just sitting there for years and years. When I start a project I try to give it all my attention and do it right.

I'm Kinda bummed because I'm missing a drift event tomorrow that was supposed to be the first one I took the car to. After I get the single swap done I'm going to park it until the next event so I don't have a chance to break something again!

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Built my own downpipe. I'm a real beginner at fabrication but I'm really happy with the fitment and how it turned out.

Should have went single from the start. It sounds so good!

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
This is a local spot where I learned to drift. Awesome place but very unforgiving. One wrong move and you're off a cliff!
[video=youtube;Sa1pv5G0L3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa1pv5G0L3A[/video]

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
rally inspired cornering! you sure like to take on the plants on the side of the road.
it's still refreshing to see you progressing with the build so quickly, makes me feel guilty for not wrenching on my car this week.