Just bought My first Supra

ShadowMKIII

Apr 20, 2009
Huntingdon, TN
Hello Everyone! Im James and I just bought my first Supra. Actually its my first import car period. I have owned Cars from only the big 3. My fav is still the SVT focus. I own one of them now and actually turbo'd a ZX3 a few years ago myself. Anyways back on topic...

I will be looking for odds and ends for the car. I only gave 1200 for it and I drive it everyother day. (didnt do bad i dont think). I was told it was a 1987.5 but it states 1987 on the title. ITs a Traga (huge selling point) I have a few pics in my album.

I hope to find other MKIII owners nearby. I'm Close to Jackson, TN.

More about the car:

It has 170K with a rebuilt engine. Guy told me that he had built it to handle over 25lb of boost. (its at 10 now). I think the Tranny is on the way out. There is so much play when its in gear I sometimes think its in Neutral. <-- not fun when people are around... lol

The body is in ok shape... Lil rust here and there and a few dings and dents.
The interior is about to be gutted from the rear seats back. All the electronics work ecept for cruise. (speedo cable broke is the reason I assume) o and the passenger side power window. (sucks having the top off and I cant row down both windows lol...

Well I cant think of much more cept that you guys will be seeing me around alot more... I'm about to search for Idle issues and how to advance the timing and how to set the boost once I get a real boost gauge in...

Thanks guys!!! and awesome site btw!!!

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
ShadowMKIII;1302796 said:
Hello Everyone! Im James and I just bought my first Supra. Actually its my first import car period. I have owned Cars from only the big 3. My fav is still the SVT focus. I own one of them now and actually turbo'd a ZX3 a few years ago myself. Anyways back on topic...

I will be looking for odds and ends for the car. I only gave 1200 for it and I drive it everyother day. (didnt do bad i dont think). I was told it was a 1987.5 but it states 1987 on the title. ITs a Traga (huge selling point) I have a few pics in my album.

I hope to find other MKIII owners nearby. I'm Close to Jackson, TN.

More about the car:

It has 170K with a rebuilt engine. Guy told me that he had built it to handle over 25lb of boost. (its at 10 now). I think the Tranny is on the way out. There is so much play when its in gear I sometimes think its in Neutral. <-- not fun when people are around... lol

The body is in ok shape... Lil rust here and there and a few dings and dents.
The interior is about to be gutted from the rear seats back. All the electronics work ecept for cruise. (speedo cable broke is the reason I assume) o and the passenger side power window. (sucks having the top off and I cant row down both windows lol...

Well I cant think of much more cept that you guys will be seeing me around alot more... I'm about to search for Idle issues and how to advance the timing and how to set the boost once I get a real boost gauge in...

Thanks guys!!! and awesome site btw!!!

Welcome, and congrats on getting a Supra! Remember, Supra, there is NO substitute. Just a little tip, about your tranny. If you are talking about excess play in the shift lever, You may need a new shifter bushing. If that's worn, broken, or missing, it will cause huge amounts of play in the shifter.

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
Congrats on getting the money pit,
As said before, there is no substitute, and welcome to the addiction. I have $20k invested and its still not running close to how i want it.

BTW, stick around, this place is your info heaven.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
WELCOME!

(If you open your glove-box when you shift into fifth gear... it's your bushing.;)

NOTORIOUS "row-boat" shifters in these stock units! DOH!

(NASH for ME!)

-crisp

ShadowMKIII

Apr 20, 2009
Huntingdon, TN
The pics are in my Album... lol... my internet was cut off at my house so Im only on when Im on break at work. :(

And thanks for the shifter help... I will search for the part number in a min... PM me if someone already has it. lol...

ShadowMKIII

Apr 20, 2009
Huntingdon, TN

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
ShadowMKIII;1307321 said:
My astute powers of deduction tell me that I need 2 bushings.... Am i correct? lol...

one bushing goes where the shifter seats in the tranny, the other goes on the bottom of the shiter itself. you'll see once you take the shifter out, its very easy.