Just Another Lame 2J Swap

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
The sappy bit you don't care about
About 7 years ago I found myself divorced, working a lame job and after the divorce was final, no car. I had 1500 bucks to my name to buy a car with that day because I needed to drive to my new job that started the next morning. The most reliable looking car I could find was this thing called a mk3 supra, it was made by toyota and looked pretty good so I got a ride and bought it. It was an 88 n/a auto burgundy car and it was my daily driver for the next three years. I was making more money and could have bought something else but I just fucking loved that car. I started reading up on them and found out about all the things I was missing like a turbo, targa top, and post 88 styling.

The next step
A year ago I bought my challenger and decided to finally do something with the supra. I saved up a few thousand dollars to start my build. On my way to the engine builders I found a mint condition 1990 turbo targa with perfect grey leather and all the options I had been missing out on. I never made it to the engine builders. 2000 dollars later I had the car I always really wanted.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The controversy
At this point I am making a lot more money and had spent a lot of time on forums and had the initial idea that I was going to show people what a 7M could do if built properly and without skimping on the budget. I also run a local car forum and we do a lot of weekend racing like everyone else. People were really pushing me on the 2JZ option because other than a couple of stockish mk4's and a swapped 240 there just aren't any 2J cars here. I weighed out the costs and for barely more than it would cost me to build the 7M bottom end I could just buy the 2J which already has a stout rotating assembly. So I bought it.

The build
It was time for the 7M to go. It was a tough decision because the car ran great.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

These are not the wheels I'll be running, I just put them on there so I could put snow tires on the stock rims and run them on my 88 supra for winter.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Usually those wheels go on the 88
sm_photo_missing.jpg

It was sad to see the 7M go, but then this showed up and everything was all better haha

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stripped off the twins first.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

What a fucking contraption this thing is. Good riddance!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm going to need a transmission too so I found a good R154 with a JZ bellhousing and flywheel.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The kitchen counter is as good a place as any to work on it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I got it all torn down and in the vice and decided that since it was out I would take a shot at rebuilding it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I ordered almost every single piece and part you can get for this thing, all the Marlin Crawler shit and I replaced 2nd and 3rd gear too because gears are cheap so fuck it, might as well.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Billet shift fork installed
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Billet bearing retainer on. I had to grind down the top two bolts that came with it or the case wouldn't seal because it was hitting the reverse lock out post inside the case.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

All done. That wasn't too bad.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Picked up a barely used ACT extreme 6 puck clutch. Hopefully it will at least hold together long enough to get this thing tuned.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Found a clutch and brake pedal at the local junk yard, new master and slave from DM. Getting those things in was seriously the hardest thing I've had to do on this build. What a bitch!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got the interior cleaned out and cleaned up. Ordered some nice new black carpet to go in.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Turned my attention back to the motor.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I have been stockpiling an entire livings room worth of swap parts. Anyone planning to get into this should do so only if you have a big budget.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I had originally planned to keep the entire motor stock, but what fun would that be?? I can't afford to build the bottom end this year, so I tackled the head this winter and will save rest for next winter.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got it off and all stripped down.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Ordered some cams. Being that I will be on stock compression, I didn't want to go with big cams and a huge turbo because it would just be a shitty combo with a worthless power band. So if anyone wants to buy some 264 vvt-i cams this fall let me know because these will be replaced when the compression is over 9.5:1.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I went with a gates racing belt, GSC beehive springs, retainers and seals that will be good to 9200.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got it back from the machine shop yesterday. As soon as my head studs show up I can get this bitch on and put the motor in the car for the first time.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Picked up a serious exhaust manifold, the flanges on this thing are ridiculous thick.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Doing a little test fitting
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Test fitting the intake before it goes off for powder coating along with the valve covers.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

That's it for now. Once the head studs and timing tensioner get here I will be able to get this all bolted up and ready for the harness.

I'd like to add that at the start of this project I had only a very basic knowledge of turbo setups and had never done any trans work or engine work of this level. I've gotten all my information from the forums and reading the TSRM. I'll never understand all the pointless threads I see from people, I've found every single bit of information I've needed to do this by searching and reading. Give it a shot, you'll be surprised what you can find.

UPDATE
I finally got everything I needed to get some more work done.

I was lazy for a few days but I managed to get out in the garage today and made some progress. Got the block all cleaned up and ready for a new head gasket.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Test fitting the gasket and head studs
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got the head all torqued down and the cams in and even got it timed!! All in all a good day.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got the engine all buttoned up and test fitted the intake.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I had to get a little ghetto to remove the lower oil pan in order to get to all the bolts for the main pan. There is no place to pry it off and I couldn't even get an exacto blade between the pans much less a pry bar or screw driver. The best answer I could come up with was to use a bolt that is the same thread as the oil drain plug but much longer and wrap a chain around the leg of my engine hoist and bolt that chain to the drain fitting with the longer bolt and hoist that bitch up. It popped right off!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I managed to get the front sump oil pan off and cleaned up the block and got rear sump pan all cleaned up and got FIPG on it.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I got both pans all sealed up and bolted on. It would have been so much easier with the engine on a stand instead of a hoist but someone borrowed mine so I'm stuck doing it this way. I also got the auto trans, converter, and flywheel off and test fitted the 1J flywheel and clutch. Hopefully I can get the trans mounted up tomorrow.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finally doing some test fitting, will definitely need to weld an elbow on the turbo but it fits really well in there.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Testing the radiator clearance with the fan and fan clutch installed.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also dropped off the valve covers, intake, and center cover for powder coating and vinyl wrap. Hopefully I can get the intercooler and shit mounted up and start measuring for piping.

More updates soon!

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
On a serious note, good job. You have the seats out and the master and pedals installation was tough? Pfff, try it with the seats in!

Make sure those valves are not extended past the deck since you have it resting flat. You can turn them so they are still open but below the deck.

What are you using to tune?

Big budget? I suspect that is why a lot of people don't want to do the swap. :) You'd cringe if I show you my Excel with EVERYTHING I have bought for my car and I haven't done fuel/suspension/paint yet. :ugh:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
ifyouaint1sturlast;1811851 said:
LOVE IT.

Let me know how the intake manifold fits in the MKIII because I was going to grab the same one ;)

I know some people say there is a clearance issue with the brake booster but that would depend on where you cut the runner. If you just chop right after the flange or you decide to shorten it.

It works, local guys have it on their MK4 and one MKIII. Just needed to chop the lower runner shorter to get good clearance.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
IBoughtASupra;1811848 said:
I Hate You.

Why?

You Have A Playstation 3.

<--Xbox Fan.

Haha the playstation is just for blurays and netflix, my xbox is on a different tv

hvyman;1811849 said:
Me likey.

What size precision turbo is that?

6266 billet wheel, dual ball bearing

IBoughtASupra;1811850 said:
On a serious note, good job. You have the seats out and the master and pedals installation was tough? Pfff, try it with the seats in!

Make sure those valves are not extended past the deck since you have it resting flat. You can turn them so they are still open but below the deck.

What are you using to tune?

Big budget? I suspect that is why a lot of people don't want to do the swap. :) You'd cringe if I show you my Excel with EVERYTHING I have bought for my car and I haven't done fuel/suspension/paint yet. :ugh:

The cam caps are only hand tight to keep the buckets in place so the valves are all closed. I'm going to run ProEfi 128 with a chasebays harness.

I actually have a huge excel sheet with all my shit in it and prices and links I was thinking about putting up here as a guide. But then nobody would ever do this swap if they saw the numbers!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Lol. My exact thoughts. Kitchen and living room build = single man. Hell... why get the garage dirty? We gotta keep the man cave spotless to impress our friends. Too bad mine is dirty.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Good work, is it going to be on the streets this summer? And what local forum do you run?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Haha yeah I'm single, girlfriends get to pick where we eat or what movie to watch but not if I build a transmission in my own kitchen haha

If my budget holds it should be done and tuned by June. I started WiStreetandTrack a few years ago, we've got a pretty good scene going now. You should come check it out one night this summer.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I'll have to come check it out sometime, I'm just over the border in Beach Park/Zion. Little bit northeast of Gurnee if ya know where that is.

Madison is a few hours, but if there's a good scene, it's worth it

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
We should definitely set something up. I know you guys have get togethers out in the Milwaukee area now and then and I'm down to go to those too.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Mr Bojangles;1811822 said:
I weighed out the costs and for barely more than it would cost me to build the 7M bottom end I could just buy the 2J which already has a stout rotating assembly.

Mr Bojangles;1811856 said:
I actually have a huge excel sheet with all my shit in it and prices and links I was thinking about putting up here as a guide. But then nobody would ever do this swap if they saw the numbers!
So... how close was your initial costs estimate? Did you leave anything out? :)